The Sea Fury rumour thread 2

Whofan

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I pre-ordered the export edition separate from this order. It's not due out until later in the year.

I thought so. Not that I really need it, I have a lot of Sea Fury RCN Decals.

13 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Got my notification from Hornby this morning that my 5 pre-ordered kits (to get the free postage) will be shipping soon.

I've not received any email yet

The Hawker Sea Fury FB.II 1:48 A06105 is showing as available on the Airfix website
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/hawker-sea ... -1-48.html

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

Well i have seen it and it looks certainly decent but i can't tell how it will measure up to the Airfix!!

Cheers, Jan

If it is to the same standard as the recently released Phantom I shall be saving my money.

11 hours ago, tonyh said:

And out of stock on the Airfix website.

Yep - another new release that seems to have gone out of stock almost the day it shows up. It still shows as available but with zero quantity so you can't add it to your cart.

For those of us not in the UK who can't buy pre-order due to postage costs, it's getting pretty old when the same stock issues happen again and again :/

Edited by Scott_

1 minute ago, Scott_ said:

Yep - another new release that seems to have gone out of stock almost the day it shows up. For those of us not in the UK who can't buy pre-order due to postage costs, it's getting pretty old when the same stock issues happen again and again :/

Airfix consistently seems to get an initial supply of stock to cover trade orders and direct-sale pre-orders. This is then followed by a second shipment for general sale. We have no idea how many kits are in each shipment. Usually the second shipment stays in stock for a while but it seems to me that even the second lot of kits for the 1/48 Walrus sold out rapidly. 

As for being outside the UK, I just ordered enough to get free shipping. 

54 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Airfix consistently seems to get an initial supply of stock to cover trade orders and direct-sale pre-orders. This is then followed by a second shipment for general sale. We have no idea how many kits are in each shipment. Usually the second shipment stays in stock for a while but it seems to me that even the second lot of kits for the 1/48 Walrus sold out rapidly. 

As for being outside the UK, I just ordered enough to get free shipping. 

That might have worked for me too, at least until someone upped the minimum amount for free shipping to Australia to 250 pounds!.

Now I can put together a regular order to get over that, but to get enough on pre-order I'd need (for example) 13 Sea Fury kits!

36 minutes ago, Scott_ said:

That might have worked for me too, at least until someone upped the minimum amount for free shipping to Australia to 250 pounds!.

Now I can put together a regular order to get over that, but to get enough on pre-order I'd need (for example) 13 Sea Fury kits!

Yeah, that would be kind of excessive. Even I don't need that many.

1 hour ago, Scott_ said:

I think the Airfix ‘Free Shipping’ prices are aimed at discouraging folk from outside the UK from purchasing directly from Airfix and thereby cutting out the Distributor appointed in the destination country.  

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

How else is one to properly do a 1/48 Nowra flightline dio? :D

Quite easily as the Hasegawa 1/48th scale A-4 Skyhawk is still available.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have the Aussie decals sheet on the way from Oz - and while the blue Fury is a personal fave - I'm starting to warm to the 805 Sqn versions.  Which means I'll most probs need to build two!

Cheers

Jonners, "fondly" remembering beating the Trumpeter kit into shape many years ago, and now looking forward to a decent model of a Sea Fury in 1/48th.

I notice in the Pocketbond advert in the latest  SAM magazine that the Trumpeter 1/48 sea fury is shown as restock.

Perhaps a little competition going on with Airfix?

6 minutes ago, neilh said:

Oooh not sure I could wait until the weekend. Luckily mine is not in front of me yet else my day job could suffer badly.

I'm not sure I will be able to resist until then, but Mrs P works on a Saturday so I don't need to be so secretive about another new arrival then, and can gratuitously fondle the plastic to my hearts content :whistle:  

• Like 1

I have fondled the plastic and it looks very crisp and sharp. I particularly like the way the paired RPs are moulded.

You have 2 sizes of drop tank, plus the drop tank recce pod, plus US and British 500Lb bombs. Exhausts are hollowed out too.

A fuller look and report to follow

Jonners

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

One of the only aircraft I would be persuaded to do in 1/48 just 'cause it is what it is. I had a Hobbycraft (?) 1/48 one ages ago, but moved that on when I read

about the issues with it. With the good comments on this, that is a .process that could be reversed.

Steve

• Like 1

A quick perusal of the instructions tonight confirms that Airfix have not included a gun sight, this was mentioned in the Airfix Model World test shot build a couple of issues ago, I was hoping that Airfix might have rectified that but it appears not, an absolute schoolboy error, but I'm sure Eduard or Quickboost will soon rectify that anyway.

18 hours ago, Plasto said:

I think the Airfix ‘Free Shipping’ prices are aimed at discouraging folk from outside the UK from purchasing directly from Airfix and thereby cutting out the Distributor appointed in the destination country.  

Not necessarily. With free shipping, no VAT and a 10% club discount I can get kits shipped to the US cheaper than I can buy them from any source in the US, including Hornby USA. In fact, they are cheaper than a UK buyer can get them. The problem with pre-orders is that you can't combine them with other pre-orders or in-stock items, which may require ordering a larger number than I want to buy to hit the free shipping threshold. In that case, I can just wait until I can make up a free shipping order from in-stock items.