120mm Iroquois, Mitches Military Models

Eludia

Hey again folks,

With my local club Christmas competition fast approaching I thought I'd better make a start on my entry. He is an Iroquois scout/sentry from the French Indian War, sculpted by Carl Reid and sold by Mitches Military Models. Its a lovely model, I'm trying very hard not to screw it up ;)

Progress so far (painted with Jo Sonja acrylics):

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

Main colours used so far:

Skin tones - Burnt Sienna/Raw Sienna (roughly 2:1) with a spot of Cadmium Scarlet, Naples Yellow Hue added for highlights, Burnt Umber added for shadows.

Red - Brown Madder, Cadmium Scarlet added for highlights, Indian red Oxide added for shadows.

Yellow - Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Light added for highlights, Dioxazine Purple added for shadows (only the tiniest spots are needed to tone down the yellow).

Blue beadwork - Storm Blue and French Blue used straight from the bottle and also mixed in varying proportions for mid tones. Black and White added freehand for the pattern.

• Like 5

Cheers G, nice to see you looking in :)

It is a very nice model, you won't be disappointed. Its quite a bit bigger than what I'm used to but it should be quite a head turner when its finished.

Edited by Eludia
  • Like 1

Thanks for your nice comments guys :)

I've made a little more progress but tonight I just did a dry fit and took some photos:

DSC_3501.jpg

DSC_3502.jpg

DSC_3503.jpg

DSC_3504.jpg

DSC_3505.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Knikki, the JS paints are very nice to use but they do have their own little foibles, like any paint. I love the dead flat finish (usually, the reds seems to have dried with a bit of a sheen in this case - probably my fault). They thin OK with water but using their own Flow Medium or Magic Mix is far better. The main reason I like them is that the pigments are familiar to me (as an oils user) and, unlike most hobby paint makers, they indicate what pigments are used on the paint tube. This little detail makes mixing paint a lot more predictable, especially when you stick to single-pigment colours.

My journey continues down the model. His breechcloth and axe are now more or less done. The satchel and powder horn will be up next before moving onto his leggings. I'm still having fun :)

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

• Like 1

Primed the musket tonight so I'll be concentrating on that for the next few days. Also did another dry fit to check how the model's coming along overall. The photos are slightly better this time, while I was in the shed I decided to get my proper camera out. I'm not used to models this size, my backgrounds etc. are all set up for smaller pieces so I'm finding him a challenge to photograph.

DSC_3518.jpg

DSC_3519.jpg

DSC_3520.jpg

DSC_3521.jpg

DSC_3522.jpg

DSC_3523.jpg

DSC_3524.jpg

Comments and critique are always welcome :)

• Like 2

Coming along very nicely, I love the decorations along his pants :clap: 

Watch out for his right wrist, there seems to be a small hole in it, probably an air bubble in the resin - you can see it in the third photo from the top

Ciao

• Like 1

Cheers G :)

I hadn't spotted that little bubble but I'll be filling the gaps around the wrists, along with the tree/moccasin interface, when he finally comes together (hopefully in the next week or so) so I'll snag it then.

• Like 1

A little bit more progress on the painting and he's all glued together now. You'll note the absence of his large brass appendage ;)

DSC_3542.jpg

DSC_3543.jpg

DSC_3544.jpg

DSC_3545.jpg

DSC_3546.jpg

DSC_3547.jpg

DSC_3548.jpg

Edited by Eludia
  • Like 1

Thanks again G :)

I started off with a light brown, almost like a skin tone. The grain was painted with Burnt Umber then a thin glaze of Vallejo Model Colour Mahogany was applied over the top. I then went in afterwards to add some lights and shades where I thought they were needed until I was happy with the look.

The white metals were painted with Darkstar Miniatures metallics (very good by the way, I'm getting some more) and the yellow metals were painted with Vallejo Model Air metallics.

Not much actual modelling done today, just some putty work to make him look a bit more "seated" on his perch. I acquired some A3 black foamboard though and made a bigger dark box to accommodate larger models like this one (and some of my other non-figure models). This is the result, using artificial light:

DSC_3561.jpg

DSC_3562.jpg

DSC_3563.jpg

DSC_3564.jpg

DSC_3565.jpg

• Like 1

I followed an online tutorial by the insanely talented David Soper:

https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/making-titlename-plaque-for-display.html

The only thing I did differently was to use spray glue to mount the printout on the plasticard. The varnish I had just wasn't up to the job of sticking the paper securely enough.

16 minutes ago, Eludia said:

I followed an online tutorial by the insanely talented David Soper:

https://sproketsmallworld.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/making-titlename-plaque-for-display.html

The only thing I did differently was to use spray glue to mount the printout on the plasticard. The varnish I had just wasn't up to the job of sticking the paper securely enough.

Thanks for the heads up, Billy :thumbsup:  Great link, duly bookmarked! :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1