More on Airfix 2017

Denford

7 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Really! There are lots of Wargamers out there, and my 6yo grandson loves playing with them

There are in fact a large number of manufacturers of plastic figures on the market today, particularly in the smaller scales. The Hat catalogue for example is impressive and some model companies also have wider and wider ranges of figures, for example Zvezda.

This is an area where Airfix could try and enter, although they would probably need new tools here to compete properly

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, blikkey said:

I think the days of kids buying plastic toy soldiers has died out and can understand the reason behind it

I would think there's still a big market for them. There are so many more plastic figures available now than when I was buying them, covering some pretty esoteric subjects too. Many designed for wargaming of course.

Much better than the old days when all you had was Airfix and relatively expensive white metal figures from Minifigs, Hinchliffe and the like.

And with all those different plastic ranges now available - many of which are very high quality - I can see why Airfix's tired old figures are being offered retirement! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

This is an area where Airfix could try and enter, although they would probably need new tools here to compete properly

I agree. It's another area where Airfix have given up. They have re-tooled one set (WW2 British Infantry) that weren't very well received, and other than the 1/48 Operation Herrick figures, every other scale has been forgotten. When I asked whether Airfix would re-issue their excellent 54mm Collector Series figures for the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo, I was told they weren't interested and didn't think they'd sell. Instead they mackled together their less-than-stellar HO Napoleonics. It seems that they're unaware which kits are still held in high regard, and which need updating.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IanC said:

I would think there's still a big market for them. There are so many more plastic figures available now than when I was buying them, covering some pretty esoteric subjects too. Many designed for wargaming of course.

Much better than the old days when all you had was Airfix and relatively expensive white metal figures from Minifigs, Hinchliffe and the like.

And with all those different plastic ranges now available - many of which are very high quality - I can see why Airfix's tired old figures are being offered retirement! 

I agree with you from a wargaming point of view as there are so many new ranges from other manufacturers made from either resin or harder platic and are aimed at the wargaming market

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

I agree. It's another area where Airfix have given up. They have re-tooled one set (WW2 British Infantry) that weren't very well received, and other than the 1/48 Operation Herrick figures, every other scale has been forgotten. When I asked whether Airfix would re-issue their excellent 54mm Collector Series figures for the 200th Anniversary of Waterloo, I was told they weren't interested and didn't think they'd sell. Instead they mackled together their less-than-stellar HO Napoleonics. It seems that they're unaware which kits are still held in high regard, and which need updating.

You would have thought that the Sharpe TV films, from 1992 onwards, would have created a market at least for the 95th Rifleman figure. But it was last in the catalogue in 1980! I believe it's about 15 years since any of the Collector's Series were available.

• Like 1

This Extract from the 2016 Annual report is informative.

Focused product range

Over recent years the product range of the business has expanded significantly.The Board now intends to reduce the number of individual product lines by approximately 40%. during the 2016 calendar year, focusing on products which generate higher gross margins.This will reduce business complexity and activity levels which will then allow the cost base to be reduced. In the financial year ended 31 March 2016, approximately 50% of the business’ product lines contributed approximately 90% of

the gross margin. Even after the planned reduction, the Group will be actively managing approximately 1,400 product lines in the 2017–18 financial year.The product range will be streamlined further in 2017, while continuing to release innovative new products to the market. 

So while that covers the Hornby brands as a whole IMHO that sort of sets the tone a bit for future releases the size of the range and if any of the more 'esoteric' older kits will be released.

Cheers

Plasto

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, Geoff_B said:

That sounds like they are not going to do like last year and do an Yearbook rather than Catalogue but purely go with the Workbench to highlight each new tooling in turn ?

I recall the Yearbook appeared at SMW last year and was advertised in the Airfix Modelworld, so with no mention as yet by those who get the mag or at the show it appears there is no sign of a yearbook so far.

Last year's Year Book had me as confused as anything - it had the same cover as that month's AMW magazine.  As I pick up my copy at the local Sainsbury's & they had both on the shelf I picked up the year book by mistake & didn't even notice the price difference at the check out.  It was only when I got home & fished it out of the rest of the shopping that I realised my error - so back to Sainsbury's for the mag - :doh:what a numpty - good read for a newbie though :newb: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So what might we expect on Friday in this weeks workbench?

I would suspect after the new tools, we might get some of the new variant info, sea hurricane, AEW Shack etc unless these will be held back until the full list is issued at Christmas (as there is only potentially 2 left before Christmas, Friday 2nd & Friday 16th Dec).

Here's hoping for more good choices

2 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

So what might we expect on Friday in this weeks workbench?

I would suspect after the new tools, we might get some of the new variant info, sea hurricane, AEW Shack etc unless these will be held back until the full list is issued at Christmas (as there is only potentially 2 left before Christmas, Friday 2nd & Friday 16th Dec).

Here's hoping for more good choices

I have an inkling it may be a non aviation subject.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

A 1/18 scale Jaguar E-Type roadster, priced at £99.99

Why 1/18? 1/12 would be better and is a more popular kit scale. 1/18 seems to be more for die-casts. Revell already did a 1/8 scale E-type though.

17 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

oh, just piecing together some bits of info I read

I'm honestly not sure what to think of this if it's true. The bulk of the market for car kits is in 1/24 (or 1/25) with far fewer subjects available in 1/20 (except Formula 1 cars), 1/18, 1/16, 1/12, and 1/8. Is this a case of Airfix trying to create a market for a (comparative) oddball scale? My thought is that if you're going to go out on a limb then you might as well go big so 1/12th would likely be a better option than 1/18. On the other hand, there is a huge amount of aftermarket stuff available in 1/24th so this would be the scale to go for if you want to encourage people making multiple purchases. I like the subject. I'd probably buy one. But, I can't help but think this is a foray into another orphaned scale like 1/600 ships, 1/32 and 1/76 armour, and 1/32 cars.

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

A 1/18 scale Jaguar E-Type roadster, priced at £99.99

Did you complete the survey as well?  

On a personal, and extremely selfish, level I hope it isn't a Jag as I haven't done a car for around 50 years and have no plans to do so in the future.  I suppose it would be too much to expect a Scimitar as they already have the FAA covered with the Phantom.  Upscaling the Blenheims to 1/48 would be nice, as would a Hampden, retool in 1/72 or new mould in 1/48. 

Whatever it is, I expect Airfix will surprise and delight (most of) us!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2016 at 9:39 PM, AWFK10 said:

You would have thought that the Sharpe TV films, from 1992 onwards, would have created a market at least for the 95th Rifleman figure. But it was last in the catalogue in 1980! I believe it's about 15 years since any of the Collector's Series were available.

IIRC the English Civil War figures were released as a boxed set, (Cavalier/Roundhead, Musketeer and Pikeman), around 2005-2006.

It would be great to see the whole range again.

Christian, exiled to africa

I had an idea, and suggested it to Airfix that they produce a range of 1/24 ground and Air crew figures, plus accessories in the same vain as the 1/48 ground crew figures.

I expect I am not the 1st to suggest this, but I am sure it would be welcomed by many of us to enhance the Typhoon or Mossie etc

Probably not in their plans, but we can hope

• Like 2

BTW my inkling is just that, its based on nothing more than the fact that all the new stuff announced so far are aircraft and Airfix still ask us for suggestions for non-aviation subjects and they MUST have some non-aviation stuff to release.

Personally I'd like to see the 1:72 airfield support sets (Refuelling, recovery, emergency) in 1:48, the Queen Mary trailer especially, if only because I live close to where Taskers built them.

3 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

IIRC the English Civil War figures were released as a boxed set, (Cavalier/Roundhead, Musketeer and Pikeman), around 2005-2006.

It would be great to see the whole range again.

Christian, exiled to africa

I asked about the Napoleonic 54mm figures for the 200th anniversary of Waterloo and was told Airfix weren't interested in issuing figures :hanging:

5 hours ago, 593jones said:

Did you complete the survey as well?  

On a personal, and extremely selfish, level I hope it isn't a Jag as I haven't done a car for around 50 years and have no plans to do so in the future.  I suppose it would be too much to expect a Scimitar as they already have the FAA covered with the Phantom.  Upscaling the Blenheims to 1/48 would be nice, as would a Hampden, retool in 1/72 or new mould in 1/48. 

Whatever it is, I expect Airfix will surprise and delight (most of) us!

Wait 5 years or so until the Cosford Museum Hampden is more complete then Airfix will scan it and do us a nice new kit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Wait 5 years or so until the Cosford Museum Hampden is more complete then Airfix will scan it and do us a nice new kit.

Hmm, that could be pushing it for me as I'm 66 now.  Not sure how many years modelling I've got left!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

I had an idea, and suggested it to Airfix that they produce a range of 1/24 ground and Air crew figures, plus accessories in the same vain as the 1/48 ground crew figures.

I expect I am not the 1st to suggest this, but I am sure it would be welcomed by many of us to enhance the Typhoon or Mossie etc

This is a lovely idea - however - has anyone ever compared the size of the figures in the 1/48 "ready for battle" kit compared to the hurricane pilot.

Either he is rather small (maybe Titch Havercroft - but he flew a spit) or the ground crew are all giants???

7 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

I still think a 1/48 control tower would sell to compliment the 1/48 ground crew & vehicles - but just imagine a 1/24 control tower WOW!!!