Trumpeter 1/200 USS Iowa

johndon

Apart from a couple of bumps I'm yet to take care of, the deck is back to the way it should be.  I'm relieved as, if I'm honest, I'd lost a lot of motivation on this one when the deck bubbled up and I really didn't want to work on her but I'm pleased I finally bit the bullet...

spacer.png

Edited by johndon
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, johndon said:

but I'm pleased I finally bit the bullet on this one...

16-inch, 11/4 ton bullets in this case. 😁 I'm glad things seem to be working out with the deck.       Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

Much as I love photo etch for the extra detail it provides, I do sometimes question the sanity of it - this is a part from the Pontos set that makes up one of the boat booms which you are supposed to slot in to another piece...

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, johndon said:

Much as I love photo etch for the extra detail it provides, I do sometimes question the sanity of it - this is a part from the Pontos set that makes up one of the boat booms which you are supposed to slot in to another piece...

spacer.png

Nice! How many do you have to do?

There are 2 that size and then another 6 that get bigger but even the largest is only around 2mm * 1mm then repeat the whole thing for the other side of the ship.

As it happens, since I took that photo, the part in question pinged out of the tweezers never to be seen again so it needs replacing...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps, rather obviously, I've decided that the way forward for this project is to break down the whole in to a number of small models that can be built and painted then put together.

To that end, I've made a start on the two Kingfisher aircraft.  They are moulded in clear plastic which I hate but at least it means that you get a clear canopy.  The aircraft is split in to a top and bottom half and I'm hoping, with some test fitting to get the gap as close as possible that I can paint the two halves separately which will save trying to mask the fuselage.  I've given the bottom half a coat of white as it is much easier to see what you are doing than with the clear parts and I've started adding the Pontos PE.  I've also given the top a quick spray of blue which I then scraped from the canopy windows

Overall length is 2 inches...

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 8

Almost finished the two Kingfishers, just a little touch up, the radio antennae and perhaps a wash to finish.  They are unbelievably fragile and I think each of the wing floats has been re-glued at least twice.  They also proved pretty much impossible to mask so the spraying was done from different angles in an effort to use the model itself as a mask, it hasn't been 100% successful but I'm happy enough with them.

spacer.png

You'll note that I didn't spend too much time cleaning the sprue gates off the bottom of the wing floats, on the aircraft are on the ship, you'll never see the bottom of the floats.

spacer.png

I'm going to put one on a catapult and the other on the deck so I've made up one of the trolleys that they were mounted on to move them around:

spacer.png

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on the forecastle, dry fitting for now as I've found that a lot of locating tabs need some fine adjustment to allow them to fit in the slots in the wooden decks.  The 20mm guns are from Micro Master and with 50+ on the ship are an absolute no brainer as far as I'm concerned.  Yes, they are an additional cost but the time saved over trying to make that many from the Pontos set is vast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 9