Trumpeter 1/200 USS Iowa

johndon

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 3:23 AM, johndon said:

Hoping to get back to this after 7 months of no progress, ordered a bit more reference material at 7 this morning on Amazon and 12 hours later it arrived.  A quick look through suggests it is going to be a great reference for details...

spacer.png

Gidday John, my copy arrived this morning, it looks to be a good reference book. It was an Anniversary gift from SWMBO. In return I got her a book "Helpful Tips for Cooking and Cleaning"😁

Only joking. You can tell I'm only joking because I'm still alive to write this. 😁

Any progress on your model? Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/2/2021 at 4:23 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Any progress on your model? Regards, Jeff.

Not at the minute, full size modelling on the house is taking all my time just now...

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday John, priorities I guess. The model will be worth waiting for when you can get back to it.

Hopefully I'll be back on it before long although I'm close to the point where I need to think about a case for it as I don't want to be dusting it once the PE starts going on.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

When I left the build, almost a year ago, I'd just finished adding the round top to the hull extensions and the hull was in a coat of primer.

I've finally decided to crack on with the build again and came to the job that had actually stopped me last time and that was whether to try to represent the hull plating or not.  Figured I'd give it a go with the masking tape and thick coat of primer method.  Some sanding down to do but the hull sides have been done (still a bit more to do at the bow and stern) and I think it just about looks OK...

It will get a VERY light sanding to knock the edges down a bit but, under a coat of the hull colour it should give a hint of the plates.  I'm only going to represent the plates down to the waterline as the long term plan is for a sea base for the model.

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

• Like 7

A little bit of progress over the weekend and first thing was to get the hull bottom painted, a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Red and Hull Red.  One thing that isn't indicated on the hull moulding at all is where the boot topping goes.  Fortunately, the Anatomy of the Ship book has some 1/200 scale drawings from which I was able to measure the distance from the keel to the bottom of the boot topping.  I then, using my grandson's Lego, made a very hi-tech height gauge that allowed a straight line to be drawn all round the hull so, tomorrow, I should be able to mask up the hull bottom and get the boot topping and some of the upper hull painted.

spacer.png

• Like 9

A bit more progress today and, for the first time since I started the build 5 years ago the whole hull has a coat of paint.  I've taken the black for the boot topping all the way up to the top of the hull as I'm hoping it will act as pre-shading for the hull grey to come.  I'll give it till tomorrow to make sure it has completely cured then I'll use some 10mm Tamiya paint (which happens to be an exact match for the height of boot topping in 1/200) then I'll paint the grey uppers followed by some Rubber Black for the Measure 32 camouflage pattern.

IMG_3620.jpg

I was rather pleased with the masking for the black which has come out pretty much perfect with only a little touch up at the stern required.

IMG_3619.jpg

• Like 6

The Measure 32 camo is going on.  As the eventual aim is for the model to go in to a water base, I didn't want a 'museum model' paint finish so I didn't go for complete coverage with the light grey to try and impart some texture to the hull as I've not attempted to do the oil canning.  The camo is based on that shown in the Anatomy of the Ship book and looks a little odd at the waterline at the minute as I've left the masking on for the boot topping while I do a bit of touch up on the lower hull.

I have some photos that Roger Torgensen kindly sent me that show the Iowa in this camo scheme at, I believe, Ulithi which shows the hull paintwork in a shocking state that I may try and replicate...

The purists won't like it but this was never meant to be an exact replica of a Iowa at a specific time as I like the camo pattern but much prefer the look of the plain wooden decks rather than those with the blue stain (which the ship should have with this camo scheme).

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 4

After a bit of touch up, she's now unmasked and back on her temporary base so I shouldn't have to touch the hull again.  Next up is to paint the moulded detail on the deck then I can get the wooden decks down...

spacer.png

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I was looking forward to a full Victorian era paint job wih buff superstructure!

It would certainly make for a different 'what if' as would painting her in the cream and white scheme of the original USS Iowa battleship from the early 1900s...

• Like 1

No photos but I've been working on some of the smaller hatches and vents that will go on once the wooden decks are down.

If I ever did another 1/200 Iowa class whilst it would take a HUGE amount of work to convert the Trumpeter Missouri, I'd love to do a modernised New Jersey.  Some may have seen this before but a few years ago, I came across this stunning 'what if' model of the NJ with VLS launchers instead of the Tomahawks:

http://www.dynamicdioramas.org/MODEL SOURCE/battleship/

The aft section of the wooden deck is now fitted with a few of the detail parts just placed for effect.  The fit of the deck was perfect with no adjustments required.

spacer.png

• Like 7

If you'll pardon the horrendous pun, Iowa is now fully 'decked out', at least as far as the main deck level is concerned:

IMG_3633.jpeg

IMG_3634.jpeg

Next job is start adding some of the low level deck details fore and aft although, as I don't yet have a case for her, I'll not be added much of the PE detail as I don't want to have to try and dust that...

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Really coming along nicely, I'd not really appreciated the Iowas actually have quite nice lines. 

Thanks, the lines should actually be a lot nicer but, like a lot of the Trumpeter 1/200 ships, unfortunately, the model hull bears little resemblance to the real thing but correcting the hull was far more work than I was prepared to do...

• Like 1

More detailing on the stern, a mix of Trumpeter and Pontos parts, about 80 separate parts so far with, allowing for the catapults and crane, at least another 100 to go just in this area:

spacer.png

• Like 3

The deck level detail on the fantail is almost complete, with so many details to add, I've found you can work for a couple of hours and it hardly looks any different.  Unfortunately, I've found that the deck is lifting in a couple of places so that will need to be dealt with...

Catapults (one of which is complete) and the crane (complete) won't be added until I have case and no longer need to dust the model any more.  

For the 20mm cannons of which there are over 50 on the ship, instead of the Pontos set I'm looking at 3D printed guns and I've just ordered a set of 6 from Micro Master to have a look at - if they look as good as the Pontos versions (and I suspect they will) then, despite the extra cost I will use them as the time saving will be huge.

Tonight I've made a start on the bottom level of the superstructure by adding some of the initial PE detail from the Trumpeter set.

spacer.png 

• Like 4