Trumpeter 1/200 USS Iowa

johndon

Off on a tangent again tonight and I figured I'd have a go at a catapult and it's like doing origami with metal with folds in all directions.  An hour's work has got me this far, just to step 3 in the catapult instructions...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Loads still to do and, looking at the instructions, I have no idea how you are supposed to hold this thing as work progresses as it is literally surrounded by PE...

• Like 7

And a bit more done tonight:

spacer.png

and the next photo shows a mistake as I've folded the PE the wrong way up - the opening in the railing at the bottom left should be on the inside, not the outside, not the end of the world and too much chance of breaking something to try and fix it...

spacer.png

John

• Like 8

Looks great John! 

Have you stuck the deck down pre painting? I saw a build recently where he did that then masked off the deck, what’s the logic behind it?

Guy

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:41 AM, Gisbod said:

Looks great John! 

Have you stuck the deck down pre painting? I saw a build recently where he did that then masked off the deck, what’s the logic behind it?

Guy

No, not fixed down yet.  I think some people do that as some of the decks fit so tightly that, if you paint first, the paintwork can be damaged when fitting the deck.  I plan to paint first then glue the decks down and will mask and touch up if I have to.

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More work done on the catapult tonight.  A couple of railings to straighten out but this thing is getting very difficult to hold...

spacer.png

spacer.png

You certainly can't accuse Pontos of skimping on the detail, all the parts on the right need to be fitted to the part on the left, ruler for scale...

spacer.png

John

• Like 8

1 hour ago, steve5 said:

I'm enjoying your build john , everything is so cleanly put together .

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Almost there now, just the buffers to do at the front which, if I'd not screwed one up, would be done as well, I've had to order some super glue remover to recover.  I have to say that, as fiddly as this has been to put together, I've thoroughly enjoyed the process.

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 9

Far from the most interesting photo you'll see tonight but, having added part of the lip that goes round the edge of the deck, I've given it a coat of primer to see how it looks and, it's not too bad and pretty much invisible from anything more than 18 inches away but it still needs a bit of work.

spacer.png

Given that the strip is only .25mm thick I did try to err of having it slightly inboard of the hull edge so it can be built up slightly, had it overhung, sanding it would likely have made it so thin it would fail.  Next job is to run some Mr Surfacer round the join sand and prime until any gaps have gone.  At that point I'll fit the rounded top strip.

• Like 7

In between working on the hull, I made a start on the two ship's boats tonight (apologies for the quality of the photo, my iPhone seems incapable of taking a decent photo tonight):

spacer.png

The Pontos instructions call for two fairleads to be fitted to the deck at the bow.  These are microscopic, no more than 1.5mm long by about 1mm high with a tiny gluing surface but, after about half an hours work, I managed to get them fixed in place with the help of some superglue accelerator.  Picked up the boat a couple of minutes later to fit the railing at the stern and both fairleads had disappeared, to where I have no idea.  At least they were so small that, from more than a couple of inches away, they were pretty much invisible so no great loss.

Why do we try add such tiny details to a four and a half foot long ship...

John

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

Watching and taking notes that is very neat work on the catapult small engineering project going on with that.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:29 AM, johndon said:

Why do we try add such tiny details to a four and a half foot long ship...

Because we can. 🙂 Well, try, at least. I guess it all comes down to personal satisfaction with detail, trying to improve a little with each model. I think that boat looks very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Started adding the vertical hull plates from the Eduard PE set.  Time consuming and boring, doing it before I add the round lip to the hull sides otherwise the supplied fitting template won't work.  Using the template is great but you have to be very sparing with the glue otherwise, when you press the plate in to position the glues oozes out and the template gets stuck in place.  A bit of primer over the first 4 has highlighted a couple of glue spots that need to be removed...

spacer.png

• Like 8

Sorry to hear you have sleepless nights John, that can be hard. I try not to do modelling - it’s very tempting, but I’d get into a habit and end up being nocturnal!

Looks lovely though. The PE on the hull is trickier than it looks - and can pull off!

Guy

1 hour ago, Gisbod said:

The PE on the hull is trickier than it looks - and can pull off!

I'm a little concerned that may happen when it comes to masking for the rest of the plating...

One side of the hull now has all the Eduard PE fitted.  I did notice that the instructions have you fit 22 sets of plates each side whereas the Anatomy of the Ship book only shows 20.  If you only fit 20, at the recommended spacing in the instructions, then the plates don't go far enough towards the stern so I fitted all 22 sets.

IMG_3024.jpg

Next up is to decide on exactly how I'm going to do the plating along the length of the hull, currently undecided between the masking tape and layers of primer method and, potentially just drawing the lines with a pencil...

• Like 2

Now on to one of the most fiddly parts of this build, adding the round strip to the top of the lip that I added to the hull.  I am quite pleased with how well the added lip has blended with the hull sides, the join is, for the most part, almost impossible to see.  First up, I've added a strip of masking tape to the back on the lip, no mean feat in itself when the lip is on .75mm high which enables me to position and hold the strip in place while keeping hands free.  Once I'm happy that is is up against the existing strip, I'll hold a steel rule being the tape and then apply the cement...

More work needed on getting rid of some of glue that oozed out when adding the plates to the hull sides.

spacer.png

Edited by johndon
  • Like 4

First section glued on and a quick waft of primer.  A bit of tidying up to do but nothing a coat of Mr Surfacer won't sort out but it definitely does the job of recreating the lip at the top of the hull sides.  Only another six and half feet to go.

spacer.png

• Like 3