Trumpeter 1/200 USS Iowa

johndon

29 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

Waiting for Scharnhorst 1/200

I'm still waiting for Trumpeter, or others, to bring it out in an affordable 1:350 scale, :undecided:  unlike the expensive and rare Dragon version.

Mike

48 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

For the Hornet CV-8, it's much more, on everything if you assemble a lot of planes.

I've got Hornet to build, once the Iowa and Hood are done, love what you are doing with yours.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johndon said:

Should keep me busy for a while...

Yeah, I think so. But what will you do AFTER lunch? 😄

Gidday John, I imagine that distance from the camera is distorting the apparent lengths here? If I recall, USS Iowa was about 27 feet longer than HMS Hood. They should be very good models once completed. Models so large (and hence detailed) are waaay out of my league. Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Yeah, I think so. But what will you do AFTER lunch? 😄

Gidday John, I imagine that distance from the camera is distorting the apparent lengths here? If I recall, USS Iowa was about 27 feet longer than HMS Hood. They should be very good models once completed. Models so large (and hence detailed) are waaay out of my league. Regards, Jeff.

Yes, Iowa is slightly longer than Hood.

3 hours ago, Iceman 29 said:

A year and a half of assembly per ship is a good average...😅

I started the Iowa 4 years ago 😂 However progress over the last couple of months hasn't been bad.

Edited by johndon
  • Haha 1

Insomnia has hit overnight so I figured I'd put my waking hours to good use.  I've always figured that the aft crane and catapults were likely to be the hardest part of the build so I figured I may as well bite the bullet and get the crane done.  Four hours and a lot of swearing later, it is done.  I've not used all the Pontos parts, some of the internal bracing is missing either because I couldn't get it installed properly or because a couple of its came lose when I closed it up and there was no way to get them back in again.  It is far from perfect but, overall, I'm happy with it...

As finished:

IMG_2446.jpg

and with a quick coat of paint:

IMG_2447.jpg

• Like 7

John, I spent some time this morning looking for Iowa Class aircraft crane photos with only finding two images that may or may not be of any help, I will try and get them sent today. Next up will be photos of the catapults again not he main subject of the photos but you may find plenty of small details that will help you fall asleep at 0300-0400. 🙂

Roger

15 hours ago, Roger Torgeson said:

John, I spent some time this morning looking for Iowa Class aircraft crane photos with only finding two images that may or may not be of any help, I will try and get them sent today. Next up will be photos of the catapults again not he main subject of the photos but you may find plenty of small details that will help you fall asleep at 0300-0400. 🙂

Roger

Thanks again Roger, photos received.  They reveal a couple of details missed by Pontos so I may have a go at adding them although as a couple of the internal braces broke off during the last fold of the crane, mine is never going to completely accurate...

Very wells done with those cranes. Can't wait to start mine lol

I finished my hatchette Hood after taking 7 years to make. It's wood, brass and plastic.

Would love to do the trumpeter version. I also have Uss Kittyhawk and Uss Nimitz in 1/350 sat waiting to be built. Waiting eagerly for  a  HMS Queen Elizabeth RO8 to be produced eventually. 

Thanks also to Roger too for the photos sent to me. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2020 at 16:50, johndon said:

Insomnia has hit overnight so I figured I'd put my waking hours to good use.  I've always figured that the aft crane and catapults were likely to be the hardest part of the build so I figured I may as well bite the bullet and get the crane done.  Four hours and a lot of swearing later, it is done.  I've not used all the Pontos parts, some of the internal bracing is missing either because I couldn't get it installed properly or because a couple of its came lose when I closed it up and there was no way to get them back in again.  It is far from perfect but, overall, I'm happy with it...

As finished:

IMG_2446.jpg

and with a quick coat of paint:

IMG_2447.jpg

OOOOOO!!!!! Subbed!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hoping to get back to this after 7 months of no progress, ordered a bit more reference material at 7 this morning on Amazon and 12 hours later it arrived.  A quick look through suggests it is going to be a great reference for details...

spacer.png

• Like 2

I've never really been one for following instructions step by step so tonight I decided to make a start on the aft funnel:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whilst I love the extra detail of the Pontos set, having to constantly flick between the kit instructions and the Pontos instructions is a pain and there is a constant concern that you've missed something or glues something on that should be replaced by PE so I find it slow going.

And here is an overall view of the ship as it stands.  The two Pontos deck pieces are just lying in place for now and this is one area where I'm going to upset the purists.  For the time and colour scheme I'm painting the ship in, the decks should be blue but I much prefer the look of the natural deck colour so I'm using that...

spacer.png

John

• Like 4

A bit more progress and there is less and less available space to hold the funnel while working on it.  I'm getting close to the point where I'll need to get some paint on - the camo scheme I'm going for has three quarters of the funnel painted black and the rest in grey.  If I add all the PE first them masking will be all but impossible...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by johndon
  • Like 6

A bit more work on the Iowa tonight.  

The Iowas had a distinctive lip around 6" high all the way round the deck with had a rounded top and I've been backwards and forwards over whether to represent it or not and finally decided to give it a go.  Having seen couple of examples elsewhere on the web, I added tape to the outside of the hull to give something to push the .25mm * .75mm strip up to prior to gluing:

spacer.png

I managed to get the starboard side done and this is the result from the outside:

spacer.png

I have no doubt that a coat of primer will show gaps that need to be filled and, once that is done, the whole lot will be topped by a strip of .5mm round styrene - keeping that straight should be interesting...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

It’s one of those jobs that end up looking great or you wish you hadn’t started! 😆 

Without a doubt - this is actually my second attempt at it, after an abject failure with the first go I almost decided not to bother...