Trumpeter 1/200 USS Iowa

johndon

So, having decided to get back in to ship modelling, I've decided to go large:

IMG_0018_zpsfoourfzt.jpg

And, as I've got the Pontos detail set, first up to be built is the Iowa.  A little reference material:

IMG_0019_zpskpavujfu.jpg

First up is to fit the bow (quite why Trumpeter felt the need to do the hull in two parts, who knows) and, to give it some extra strength, I've drilled the join and added styrene rod to help reinforce it:

IMG_0020_zpsz0aqs6kp.jpg

Next up is to fill and sand it all smooth and then figure out where the boot topping should go as I plan on doing this as a waterline model...

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 8

An hour or so's work with wet and dry and the hull seam is almost gone.  Pretty happy with this as I've not, so far, used any filler on the join albeit let's see what it looks like with some primer on it...

IMG_0021_zpsdazwxnkn.jpg

John

• Like 3

As it is clear that this will be a very long term build, I'm determined to get something done each day, however small.  I couldn't resist making a start on turret 1.  The barrels will, in due course be replaced with those from Pontos and the turret roof still needs to be glued down.

IMG_0023_zps7qthdj2h.jpg

John

• Like 6

One thing I have become acutely aware of already is the need to keep a very close eye on two sets of instructions as the Pontos set replaces so much of the Trumpeter plastic, I'm already checking everything twice to make sure I don't use a plastic part when a PE part is available...

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers James, another order will be on it's way as soon as the Hood set is released :)

I've decided I'm going to treat each turret as a kit in it's own right and get it built and painted before moving on to the next thing.  I've made a start on the insanity that is the Pontos set but some of the parts are microscopic!

The photo below shows strengtheners that replace the kit details round the bottom of the turrets - some of them are so small I can't even figure out how to pick them up, let alone glue them in place...

IMG_0027_zpsni72yf5t.jpg

John

• Like 2

Tonight's short modelling session has seen more PE added to the turret with the side ladders and floater net basket supports added.  The Pontos set includes replacements for the triangular ribs on the turret ring bases but some of those pieces as so small, I've decided, in this case, to stick with the kit parts as I reckon the chances of getting all the PE pieces in place is almost zero.

IMG_0037_zpsd2uto0ni.jpg

John

• Like 3

Construction of turret 1 is nearing completion.

Ladders on the front:

IMG_0039_zpsvcdkoxii.jpg

Floater net baskets (not fixed yet) on the rear:

IMG_0041_zpsxzeeqroq.jpg

Next to the pin the photo below is one of the triangular parts that are meant to go on the top the turret ring at the front of the turret, how on earth are you supposed to pick it up to get it in place, bearing in mind this is the largest of 6 parts!!

IMG_0040_zpsw9ywpyey.jpg

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking good John. With the small P.E. parts I use a cocktail stick with a sharp point. Put a small dot of PVA glue on it and then lift the P.E. part using the glued end of the cocktail stick. Apply a dot of CA gel to the P.E. part and fix it in place. Hold it there until the CA gel sets, then remove the cocktail stick. It can take a few goes to get it right and lots of patience.

Andy

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

This has been sat on the shelf of doom for nearly 4 years now, I really need to get a case for it before I start work on the superstructure.  Here are some photos of what she looks like now...

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2196.jpeg

John

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Well, four years after I started building it, turret 1 is finally complete and has a coat of primer.  Some refinement needed, especially the blast bags but at least it's progress.  Fifty seven parts make up this one turret...

IMG_2392.jpeg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday John, fifty-seven parts? That's a model in itself. But it looks beautifully detailed. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Regards, Jeff.

Actually, there are more parts inside the turret that I forgot about so more than 60 :)

• Like 2

Basic painting of turret 1 is now complete.  I've decided to do the ship in Measure 32 camouflage, there were some variations of it, at least one of which had all three barrels and the front of the turret painted black which is what I've chosen.  Black is Tamiya Nato Black and grey is Tamiya Sky Grey, both acrylics.  I will give the blast bags a coat of a slightly different black and try to give them a bit of a sheen.  Not decided if i'm going to give it a wash or not...

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Back on deck! Very nice progress with the turret. Well worth the wait.

Thanks for that.  I'm more enthused about getting her built than I have been in a long time and I'm trying to get something, however small, done on the kit every day now.  I'm trying to treat different parts of the kit almost as separate models and getting them built and painted so I don't get bogged down doing one particular thing.  Plan now is to get the turrets finished and then move on to the hull...

Turret 2 is almost ready for paint.  One thing I have found very useful is to super slue some square tube to the bottom of the turrets which allows them to be held in a clamp.  This way I have both hands free to work on the turret and no issues trying to figure out where to hold it while I'm working on it.  The barrels are able to move slightly so will line up far better than they currently do in the photo.

One thing I've not quite figured out yet is how to deal with the handrails that go round the top of the turret roof.  If I add them before painting, it is going to be all but impossible to mask the turret roof but if I add them afterwards, they are going to be difficult to paint as the Tamiya Acrylics I use don't brush very well at the best of times, let alone on bare brass...

IMG_2396.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 7