"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

Envying you an engine that fills the fist John. You've got it gussied up a treat with all that extra attention. I do hope that quiche was something appropriate like wurst and ham with a hint of calvados? 

You look like you're really enjoying this one, it's a pleasure looking over your shoulder.

All the best,

Tony

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

And real Martians eat earthlings! :eat: Oops, cover blown there!

Martian

So THAT'S what they mean by "quiche Lorraine"....poor lass.......

Ian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Envying you an engine that fills the fist John. You've got it gussied up a treat with all that extra attention. I do hope that quiche was something appropriate like wurst and ham with a hint of calvados? 

You look like you're really enjoying this one, it's a pleasure looking over your shoulder.

All the best,

Tony

17 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Quiche?  :mellow:

15 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

So THAT'S what they mean by "quiche Lorraine"....poor lass.......

Ian

Just cheese I think. :lol: I am a veggie after all. :pie:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexN said:

No, your cover was blown long ago, Grand Marshall Skadalk.

Yummo, Johnno! Or, Yummy, Johnny! Take yer pick ;). Both, if you like.

Alex :sheep: <-- not a Martian (surprisingly)

Humans :Tasty:!

We do have sheep on Mars as well, its just that their wool is blue and they have six legs. So you could be a Martian after all; best get counting. Where did I put that Martian mint sauce?

Martian (fortunately not very hungry at the moment)

• Like 2

Tiny amount more done. Work and life is stopping a full tilt build bonanza but I gets what I can.

The seat got its milliput sanded. It was a right pain as it was right in the curve but I dremel cloned it and got quite a smooth finish. I can see a little bubble either side on this pic so I'll sort that out. (Dry fit)

45132C61-F0AB-44CD-BF5B-E1DFBE24327C_zpsnynf7w9l

I had planned on building the belts but while searching for ref I found these.

0C2F9553-B59F-45BA-BA17-6183228BA258_zpsyhshcfph

:Tasty: They were 7 or 8 Euros to buy. It would have cost me about 3 squid to buy more fuse wire, so I decided that it's only a small wallet malfunction.  I know, I know, I'll buy more fuse wire anyway but they're sooo pretty.:Tasty:  so any way I has belts on the way.

next all the little bits and bobs got a prime. 

064D4507-E0DA-464C-BE56-3B09BB4B7EBD_zpsgdepzwg2

I had to re drill some of the holes on the pedals and I built some straps from ahem (high quality metal modeling foil from Europe) :blink2: 

Short and sweet.

Hopefully some plastic over the weekend. Possibly paint. 

Keep em crossed.

Thanks for popping in. Happy modelling you lot.

Johnny early start.  :sleep_1: night night

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 9

I have found that a really sharp (i.e., new-straight-out-o-the-packet sharp) no. 10 or 15 scalpel blade (curved end, no. 15 is smaller than 10) does wonders for sanding/carving milliput lumps down to a fine, smooth, curved surface. Even slightly less sharp blades will do the trick.

Looking nice. I yet may carry out my threat/promise on another thread and take some snaps of the old Airfix 109 in my 'care'. A visit to the lock-up on a search-and-research mission to retrieve the (Airfix) Concorde kit beckons, so I can blend the two. Do they blend? Do they heck! Rattle-ratlle-ZZZZZZsssssssfffffff...

Looking great - I'm getting working-on-kits-and-learning-to-use-an-airbrush envy.

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- not a No. 10 scalpel blade

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I had planned on building the belts but while searching for ref I found these.

0C2F9553-B59F-45BA-BA17-6183228BA258_zps

I have some of Radu's belts, both Luftwaffe and RAF. I think they are definately worth buying. You didn't get any of his PE rudder pedals while you were there though? <_<

• Like 1

On 25/11/2016 at 4:42 AM, AlexN said:

Looking nice. I yet may carry out my threat/promise on another thread and take some snaps of the old Airfix 109 in my 'care'.

Thanks Alex.

get snapping, I'd love to see it.:)

On 25/11/2016 at 6:23 PM, Airgunner said:

Not sure if you're done with the engine bits yet, but I was up at Hendon today and got a few shots of the 109 with the cowls and wings off, if you want them PM me your email and I'll send them over.

I'm pretty much done on the engine but more reference is always a good thing, especially if it's all opened up. Thanks for the offer. I'll pm you in a bit.

thanks for the kind offer.

John.

• Like 1

The engine has really come along since I last popped in John :thumbsup2: 

All that cockpit detail is looking great; the seatbelt is going to look the biz.

Will you have the canopy open to show off the detail?

Great stuff :) 

TonyT

• Like 2

Splendid detailing John. I thought you'd had an incident and had to order yourself a truss until I realized it was for the model - that harness will just make the cockpit when it's installed...

Tony

• Like 2

On 11/17/2016 at 3:09 AM, unimodeler said:

If you'd like a copy of the old modeling the Airfix 1/24 me-109 book you can download a PDF at:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/bvaxiz

Awesome. Thanks!!!  I built one of these about 30 years ago. still remember how bad the nose and engine cowling fit. Hope it's a new tool set Airfix used, as I plan on building one again. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The engine has really come along since I last popped in John :thumbsup2: 

All that cockpit detail is looking great; the seatbelt is going to look the biz.

Will you have the canopy open to show off the detail?

Great stuff :) 

TonyT

Thanks Tony. Yes the windows will be open for sure. :rambo:

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Splendid detailing John. I thought you'd had an incident and had to order yourself a truss until I realized it was for the model - that harness will just make the cockpit when it's installed...

Tony

I know. I wasn't going to spend money on this build but I just couldn't resist. :Tasty:

40 minutes ago, Drift said:

Awesome. Thanks!!!  I built one of these about 30 years ago. still remember how bad the nose and engine cowling fit. Hope it's a new tool set Airfix used, as I plan on building one again. 

I'm not sure but it's not the blue plastic kit. Luckily I'm having the cowel off. 

However im contemplating having the maintenance flaps actually hinge and being able to pop the cowel on. :hmmm:

I'm out today in Ludlow. Hopefully if it's not too late I might get paint on tonight.:blush:

Johnny no time.

• Like 2

Hi guys.

just got back from the Christmas festival in Ludlow. I took Steve "Airgunner" up on his offer of Schmitt pics from Hendon and boy am I glad I did.

Thanks Steve, these will be so, so useful.

I had to share them here so others can benefit from them too. Thanks again Steve.

here goes.

3E0324B4-292E-4BF4-961B-B926C7A9B690_zpswymtynmt

2197841F-520B-429E-BD37-E1ACDFB00888_zpsmtk1ij4p

147D20DD-43F7-432E-B211-DC44F4B17B1C_zpsrlxro0wg

F255BFB5-B44B-45E6-9823-2C36210D86AF_zpsqz4mpxyi

5E1378F7-439A-4FD8-9DB1-0020F596C7A4_zps7ohodppn

595065AC-42A0-4286-AC0A-4958F94AFA8F_zps33qjmfxe

6BD65B9E-2411-4086-A69C-0B28FBBA00F8_zpsvvweg3px

C87A2144-09A9-4523-8EBF-CFA65A5B5A98_zpsbdcqzyoh

Oh and look what I found on one of the stalls. 

B164D5AC-923D-4BDB-90B2-F363C91A49F3_zpshugprenx

£5.   Bargain. :lol:  I might even get some Modelling done at some point.

Take care y'all. And thanks again Steve.

Johnny Christmas. 

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 9

Great pics there :)

One thing to be aware of. I believe there was a leather liner to the walls of the undercarriage bay with a prominent zip type faster that split it into upper and lower pieces.

It's not present in the pictures because it has either been removed during disassembly or possibly even perished.

I could be wrong though so check your references :)

Edited by Phil Lewis
Incorrect information
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

Great pics there :)

One thing to be aware of. I believe there was a leather liner to the walls of the undercarriage bay with a prominent zip type faster that split it into upper and lower pieces.

It's not present in the pictures because it has either been removed during disassembly or possibly even perished.

I could be wrong though so check your references :)

As I know these were on the later models standard,  not on the (early) 109E. They had the uncovered metal framing normally.

• Like 3

Stop the press.

Actual progress shocker. :boom:

While everyone was out of the house for an hour I managed to get some work done.

F8A1C200-0B04-4104-979B-9E7013A2272F_zps0rmiqpmy

I'm planning on doing some light chipping in the office area and have decided to undercoat everything with vallejo Metallics aluminium and then coat with 3 layers of AK chipping fluid. The pedals first.

63D8F8E9-6F17-462F-A265-731BF1036C23_zpslnhyjkyr

Walls

D82954B4-51B5-43A1-B199-415D5A45C22D_zpswr2adz3f

Floor and fire walls.

946A8C1F-FA53-459D-B62D-B30DBA64C4CD_zps1tviwnzw

and then the seat.  I almost forgot last time to add pre-shading so i have a check list now. I'm adding it before the AK fluid. These parts are so BIG I think they will benefit from it.

bits and bobs first.

DD4607E6-8291-4B0D-9157-A7658C045400_zpsx3qbpgdx

seat and wall/floor

C7001595-4378-4C93-B73B-484ED8B68C1D_zpsabvvhkxo

C0441071-42A2-460B-96C5-FCB82A0FC49B_zpscj0nhodo

The engine has had a base coat of Semi gloss black.  It looks rather nice but it'll look even better with a bit o' grot.;)

E4E0DE1B-95D5-48D5-B3B1-CC14A74F120D_zpsdvvjjz5i

While all that was drying I spent the last bit of time I had putting together the "Yahu" IP. It mostly went together without hitch, the only problem I had was with the curved sections.

Trying to fit the little fins into the slots on the main IP was difficult as the slots were a little too small. I made them bigger but it was still a little tricky.

The second one had its flaps removed and simply glued in place, (this seemed an easier option). And I'm really happy with the result. The little levers are ace. B)

73919638-91D9-4C76-BA29-460057A35576_zpsdfzkxydg

I have to sand off the kit part to glue the PE to and then I can fit the glass sight. ( I'll have to scratch it as there is no kit part).

Well there we are, not a great deal but at this scale I've noticed things slow down a tad. :rambo: More tonight as its modelling night "official"

:king:

Take care and thanks for looking in.

Johnny dinnertime.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 9