"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

Good evening everyone.

managed to get all the house and caravan work done so I managed to get a little bit of bench time.:worthy:

The cowl got lightning holes drilled, sanded and primed.

9E035B95-5886-4B21-883A-AA66B08CF119_zpsr6ztvlyc

I sanded that blob off too.:blush:

D16BCF6D-FD56-4647-8020-6559911A21A9_zpsvmjatnmz

pre shade done on the bits and pieces.

40E4F86E-20C4-40BD-9D74-7F54DB383C19_zps3c04nv19

the cowl and bomb are going to be good. :rambo: while all that dried I started these.

D57B7B28-6640-4A2C-9620-93828ED9716D_zpspuy1o7ch

at last. This is actually near the end now. I'm going to do an early hit tomorrow and fry and get her wrapped up.

I snipped off the PE parts for the lap belts and got them ready to glue. By this time the pre shading had dried.

17B9F423-D0A9-460E-931A-FC6BFF3DEBE1_zpsapeqxzpz

mammoth spraying sesh saw all the little parts covered and shaded. I'll top coat before bed.

7358DDE6-CC19-4812-8CA4-2993C826081D_zpss09ovi13

the belts got started but I had to leave it there. More tomorrow as The secret lemonade drinker returns.

Thank you for taking time out for my crazy plastic mission. Nearly there now.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 14

Hi The Spadgent,just read your WIP and its an amazing job on the 109,so good in fact it makes me wonder if I should give up and try golf instead.You are a modeller and I am a kit basher,who needs to rethink his choice of hobby.:goodjob::jealous:

• Like 1

What ho old fruit. Luscious progress on the custard cowling and associated sundries. You forgot to put on the Please fasten your seatbelt sign for this next bit - that is sure to look stunning once they're in-situ.:thumbsup2:

Tony

• Like 2

5 hours ago, celt said:

Hi The Spadgent,just read your WIP and its an amazing job on the 109,so good in fact it makes me wonder if I should give up and try golf instead.You are a modeller and I am a kit basher,who needs to rethink his choice of hobby.:goodjob::jealous:

Hi Celt.

Thanks for taking time to look through the work, it's my longest and biggest build yet that's for sure. Simply using what comes in the box or adding bits of tin foil and plastic we're all modellers, some folk like new kits, some like old kits, some are real nutters and build from scratch with no kits at all. I'm miles behind some of the fine souls on BM but that's not what's important. The important part is having fun, learning new stuff and filling the house with glue and plastic and paint.:lol:

your Hurri is a super build with great attention to detail and a pilot, which mine is missing btw. 1/24 is a massive undertaking and with a brush too, you deserve a medal.:worthy:  keep popping kits together if it makes you happy, add bits if it makes you feel happy but please, please not Golf. Anything but that. :P

Sorry for the sermon but I'm not having any casualties on my watch. Happy modelling C and I'll look forward to your next build should you choose to do one.

all the best.

John.:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, celt said:

I kind of get how you feel Mr celt, as on occasion I have seen some of the exploits of modellers on here and wondered why I am even bothering. But then, when I get back to doing something for myself, and something goes right - to my eyes, anyway - it's all good again. The courageous thing, in my view, is to share your progress on here, which you have done and fair play to you for that. I've been on this forum a year and only now am I in the middle of my second WIP. If your next model is any improvement on the previous one, then you're heading in the right direction, and that's all any of us can do I guess. Some are further along their own road in that respect than others, but that's OK too.

If I've learned one thing about this forum it would be that there is no competition here, that there's always someone who will encourage someone else to at least have a go, and where appropriate how they might have done something differently to maybe make it a bit better. Plus, a bit of searching for threads that reflect one's own interest will, more often than not, yield very useful handy hints and tips to try out.

Finally, and for what it's worth, I subscribe to Mr Mark Twain's view, that golf is 'a good walk spoiled'. Given how cold it was yesterday, I know which of the two pastimes I'd rather be doing :)

• Like 4

Howdy. :cowboy:

I must dash to clean out the chucks and meddle with the 1:1 scale van for a while but before that I have this mornings progress.

2FA223E5-214F-46A1-96A6-5B238DA7D8FC_zpsz2f2dfuu

lap belts built.

7A66E218-1C44-4176-803A-441513D55C7A_zpsysou3ux6

main straps, honestly these are great, it's just like making real belts.

If you can see from the side profile the strap parts fold through the buckles.:dunce:

845D3752-FA1A-4F9B-9884-FD829761BBDF_zpslq6f80qw

aaand done. :innocent:

7D284D44-010C-438C-99C4-86A6253E9FEC_zpsgrlynfxe

smidge of paint and some kindling, Baron Special. :whistle:

69814076-A39E-4D8D-B0FF-91F865041F36_zpsisekbo9k

now correct me if I'm wrong but they go through here right? I'll glue it in later.

9D85ED21-E2A2-49E4-923C-D2B84C4967B5_zpscdupccve

bits 'n' bobs weatherd ready for gluing and final scratches.

iv'e put the last decals on the prop and cowl. I'll weather them later. Readers beware if you do make this lovely aeroplane and you want the wheels down you need to chop off the square bit on the wheel covers.

AE38F54F-23BB-4B5C-8074-A8C94BDF6765_zpsk69mhlzn

otherwise it won't fit.:doh:

thanks Airfix.

70366DC2-54D8-45D4-8C68-744AC76C840A_zpsftieqrrs

72226125-F027-4EF6-AFAE-4CA7C53A6036_zpss8mo60lm

lite bits stuck on.

496A4D7B-F31E-45A4-823B-BDB80CFDFE34_zpslsfkfref

initial shadind on the Havana.

im happy with that.:) gotta fly.

more laterz.

thanks for popping in.

Johnny Chickens.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

On 12/02/2017 at 0:07 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Very nice John, very nice indeed. The straps look very life like. Cheers Greg:clap2:

On 12/02/2017 at 0:27 PM, Spookytooth said:

+ 1 above, John.

Belts look really sweet mate.

How soon before RFI?

Simon.

Thanks guys. RFI will be quite soon I should think. I'd like to take some outside as she is hUgE but we will see how the weather is. It was snowing today while I sorted the chickens.

talking about that somehow chickens and caravan turned into putting up a rail in the spare bedroom, turned into me cooking Sunday lunch turned into me opening.

56AAA4C0-F161-4195-847F-79A4C8DCBCC5_zpsvw0m6qcq

so that's it for today. I'm sitting watching dinner cook, drinking a nice red and reading yesterday's paper. :innocent:

if it helps I got this done before life happened.

363F9210-B81C-49FB-B10C-5C7A82463588_zpsyfwkqsw3

the Bigger parts got a Flory wash and a rub down, the Havanah got some light scratch and ware marks and the bullet proof head rest thing got done.  Not long now. Wires and a few spots of glue, some touch ups and we're there.  Oooooh, what next, what next?:lol:

have a lovely Sunday evening.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny wine. (not whine)

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

This is coming along great,nicely weathered just right..! these old airfix kits can still be built into nice large scale models with just a bit of extra work here and there.

I have quite a few in my stash but not yet got round to starting any, but this build is really inspiring and enjoyable build to all . GREAT WORK !!

• Like 1

I can't believe you are almost finished with it!

Fantastic job!

So, did you buy these two garden gnomes for the photo shoot? Even better if it snows!

JR

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Yes nearly there, I'll be sad to finish this one.

47 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Excellent. So, pardon my ignorance but does the seat just drop in to the cockpit when you're done?

That's the plan. I'll spot a bit of glue on and slide it in through the open window. :lol:

On 12/02/2017 at 9:18 PM, Martian Hale said:

Some good progress here, the belts are particularly effective!

Martian

Thanks Mart.:lol: they were great fun to put together.

On 12/02/2017 at 9:15 PM, clive_t said:

What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Oh ye of little faith. The seat goes in without hitch.:whip: Also the eagle eyed of you will notice that the head rest has gone in to. Just need to build some shims to fit to to the frame.

ED396264-710A-40D1-BAEE-1102CAC91B54_zpsgnr4gyqeCF94E53C-D424-49FD-9C6D-4F0FE65AB7B0_zpswuzuxvcv

that was last night. Tonight while the kids were at gym I managed to build and fit the canopy safety wire and head rest shims.

AACC656F-B3CC-4AC1-AE2B-7FB62B8AA768_zpskd79hdxx

the grab handles.

F8DE7690-4DB5-4589-ADCA-E95662E41919_zpsk58bkbul

Aaaaand the rudder wires.

703C2E25-AC0D-4DA0-90DF-F37EEF39B08E_zps9exkt5ri

all this while gluing my tweezers to my own hand. :banghead:

BE9B25E9-7439-4BAE-B7EF-02A86760BEED_zpsg15oggzl

The prop is on and this is where she stands tonight. So close I can taste it. :pilot: I have drilled, painted and top coated the aerial. All that is left is to rig the wire, a wee few lines and scuffs on the prop and some powders on the wheels.

Nothing tomorrow as devorce would be on the cards if I even enter the cave during the next 24 hours. But fingers crossed she will be done and dusted before the weekend and I can get some RFI shots.

thanks for sticking with me on this one.

the next one will be shorter I promise.

now time for tea.

ohhhh yeah! Nearly forgot. :wicked:

4B7270EB-D0B8-4CAE-B540-250E65B1D71F_zpserg7ghqx

Happy modelling you lot.

Johnny brew.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 13