"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

As far as photographic proof goes, many photos of E series aircraft from 1939 to 1942 where the interior of the wheel well is clearly visible. The flexible cover was first made out of leather but was then changed to canvas. A zip ran around the perimeter of the lower section of the cover to allow access to the interior wing structure around the wheel well.

The covers are clearly illustrated in the various E series handbooks.

Also if I remember correctly, some remnants of these covers are/were on display in a couple of museums in the UK which house recovered items from B of B era 109s that were brought down over England in 1940.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Great link @bbudde! :like:

Reminds me that I have a vinyl album of Hans Eisler songs sung by Dagmar Krause that is due an airing.

No, for me as a german and  not a great link at all. Just history and for that clean for me. I can listen to that, but wouldn't at all. Not my age. But if you like it, it's ok for me. Cheers

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, bbudde said:

No, for me as a german and  not a great link at all.

I may have been misunderstood here bbudde; by 'great' I meant good that you were illuminating those views of German culture/history that go beyond stereotypes based on lazy cultural 'tropes' - Lili Marlene being one that crops up in the lazier forms of British comedy for example. 

Funnily enough I live in Connacht at the moment, and regret there's no-one of the stature of Hans Eisler to adequately reflect the failings of this society in music....

I'll shut up now and stop hogging Johnny's thread.

Tony

• Like 3

What's been going on here while I've been cotton budding and t shirting the old girl eh?:laugh: all very nice having a party I see. 

Any way.

I've cleaned her up and we are now here.

Im going to leave her to see what daylight does but over all I'm ok with the look.

BA3C9A96-F112-4404-8333-B810935E1569_zpsghuklisr

283BE7D8-B5A9-467E-905B-94A79A9C2EC5_zpslkkrnacb

8AC897C0-4BE8-4B44-95FB-C3C8132ED809_zpsfpcnskou

thoughts?

Johnny mucky pup.:dog:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 20

5 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I may have been misunderstood here bbudde; by 'great' I meant good that you were illuminating those views of German culture/history that go beyond stereotypes based on lazy cultural 'tropes' - Lili Marlene being one that crops up in the lazier forms of British comedy for example. 

Funnily enough I live in Connacht at the moment, and regret there's no-one of the stature ofHans Eisler to reflect  

No everything is ok, This song was heavily misused by Adolph Hitler and co.  For that poor soldiers, who had to listen to that at all fronts while beeing killed, etc at the moment. Before that, it was something  like of a chanson for soldiers in peacetime. But it isn't at all.

For me another time, another place and another sense.  And  Stanislaw Petrow will allways be in my heart for keeping me alive as a kid in Germany at 26th sept. 1983.  And I guess there were many others (including me) , who didn't recognized or noticed him or that at all. Just for that. Cheers

• Like 3

On 29/01/2017 at 01:29, The Spadgent said:

To be fair I think I put too much on to begin with

You think? :rofl:1 It looked as though it had landed wheels-up in mud! I agree with Benedikt and, by inference, the Martian, that less is definitely more - but again it's your baby :). Looking great.

Cheers,

Alex.

1 Not too sure about the new emoticons: the rofl replacement is nowhere near as evocative as the original. The old ones are cripser and more expressive. Apart from the cricket stumps - which I love :) - the rest are too soft and woolly (but in a good - :sheep: - way. I can feel a Letter to the Editor coming on...

• Like 1

It looks as if you are using the Flory products for the weathering. Those always look atrocious when first put on, but I've found, like you have done in this case, most of the product is removed by the end of the cleanup process. What is good about the product is you can keep removing it until you set it with a clear coat. I've come back a month after the initial application and with a little moisture on a Q-tip (sorry cotton bud) removed the product as if I just had applied it. I think your weathering looks great and is pretty restrained. Just an impressive build. 

Oh, the leather inserts in the wheel wells, those were removed for cleaning after the Flory dirt wash!

• Like 2

Hi Johnny,

I definitely like what you have achieved with this build. Weathering is clearly a matter of taste to each and every one of us. Looking great, can't wait to see the next update.

Cheers Greg :clap2:

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the kind words.

i did indeed take a little more off this morning. She is currently drying a Tamiya gloss coat. So if it's too much, tough.:lalala:

19ED8AD2-AC91-4365-B5F6-6C8AE100AFEA_zpsqeeut5p6

EA29F42A-CA80-466F-BB88-DF6B98D70FFB_zpsim3s7xy3

I like that level of wear now. I know it's very subtle but those darker sections and panel lines are just what I wanted.

l'm going to have a go at light scratches next. If they don't work I can just rub em off. :laugh:

looking at the tail I've just remembered I was going to scratch the wires that attach the rudder. I'll add it to the list.

inlaws visit time now. Maybe more later tonight.

thanks for nipping by.

Happy Sunday Modelling chaps.

;)

Jont

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 12

Looking the business Johnny. Definitely reckon less is more on the weathering though. I think you've got the balance right. I find leaving it over night and viewing in natural daylight with a fresh pair of eyes helps. I do have to restrain myself mind, as my level of weathering threshold sometimes mimics the enthusiasm of a sugar-addled 13 year old!

• Like 1

Time well spent Johnny! Nice and subtle shading around the details. One thing I have noticed is that you have dropped both the outer wing flaps _ the flying control surfaces. I did the same thing on a Seafire I built a while back and was advised it should be one up one down or both set level. Maybe someone else can confirm or tell me I'm talking pants (again) :D. Keep up the excellent progress. Cheers Greg :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Time well spent Johnny! Nice and subtle shading around the details. One thing I have noticed is that you have dropped both the outer wing flaps _ the flying control surfaces. I did the same thing on a Seafire I built a while back and was advised it should be one up one down or both set level. Maybe someone else can confirm or tell me I'm talking pants (again) :D. Keep up the excellent progress. Cheers Greg :thumbsup2:

Oh man, I don't know about the flaps? Hopefully it's the smaller ones because the larger ones will never go up. They are all glued now though.:huh:

• Like 1

Just for a bit of clarity, ailerons are flying control surfaces and work opposing each other so if one is up, the other will be down, ailerons control roll.

Flaps are used on take off and landing and would be in the same plane as they increase lift and allow the aircraft to be stable at low speed (a reasonable description?)

The horizontal stabilisers also work in the same plane and make the aircraft go up and down.

Rudder helps the aircraft go left and right.

Sorry if this is the sucking eggs thing?

Atb, Steve.

P.S The model looks absolutely superb.

Edited by triumphfan
just to add....
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, triumphfan said:

Just for a bit of clarity, ailerons are flying control surfaces and work opposing each other so if one is up, the other will be down, ailerons control roll.

Flaps are used on take off and landing and would be in the same plane as they increase lift and allow the aircraft to be stable at low speed (a reasonable description?)

The horizontal stabilisers also work in the same plane and make the aircraft go up and down.

Rudder helps the aircraft go left and right.

Sorry if this is the sucking eggs thing?

Atb, Steve.

P.S The model looks absolutely superb.

No really I know nothing.

so the ailerons are the smaller ones on the  farther edge of the wing. One should be up and one down?

I should be able to do something.

and thanks for the kind words and info.

john.

There you go, a man that actually knows about real planes to the rescue. I should have said the smaller flaps, and didn't know how to spell ailerons :blink:. The photo you have found John is a genuine restored 109e one of the few still flying today. I am sure I read somewhere it was a BoB veteran. Cheers Greg. 

• Like 1