"yellow nosed baskets six o'clock high" 1/24 Messerschmitt bf 109-E by Airfix

What a lovely chilled New Year's Eve. Apart from setting the Hens up for 2017 it's been plastic fantastic. :lol:

first off the guns got tidied and primed.

28B00A25-11B6-4E4C-A6DF-00C9DD073364_zpsfcedkjax

Then paint, black and some aluminium dry brush action.

499FA121-A49A-406F-84E2-2CE4F070C22A_zpshm3yhbhh

takes me back to being 15 and painting Games Workshop figures. :o

Then fitted. 

F8C2985C-C2C3-4787-8523-0DD1C172F4E0_zpsvo0njydk

take a good look as it's getting buttoned up under half of the cowl.

69DC1647-71D0-409E-9CFC-008B411FAA93_zpsju1witju

there it is painted on the inside. I know you won't see it but you might.....a bit..:huh:

I taped the halves together to see how it fitted.

23DDE787-F395-472C-8AEE-E3D1CD831E34_zpszgpzec2y

Erm.....:angry: honestly does nothing fit?

it seems like the guns and pretty much all the engine parts stopped the cowl touching home.

D3DD5021-13EE-4D69-800F-A962E8B6F85A_zpsy7hifvsc

Here's the other side. Rubbish.:(

I shaved some off my newly painted machine guns. (Not fun) alas no dice.

The best course of action will be to fit the sides and shim the middle.

F4C0E031-B084-4B3B-B7FD-BC78994D04CF_zps0meem6hl

mind the gap! :D

connecting pins removed and shim added.

4D842A83-C9BD-46D2-868E-0521CD260FF4_zps5elnf4cf

Not a bad fit in the end.

BD859D2A-1C31-410B-A3E9-17E5286B6AF7_zpsz08tl7sj

A few gaps but a lot better.;)

9A745298-FE84-44C5-8B9F-6E21D6D58F6C_zpsw78x5un2

masked and ready for Mr S 500

8F7BDD48-C678-4678-8283-7772A3C029AE_zpsqyjxw3m8

and filled.

EE4BBF45-43E5-431B-96A7-388B05E7FE1F_zpssyavwuzd

that needs some proper drying afore it gets sanded. I'll leave that till next year.:lol:

Masking off it looks sandable. I'll let it be now.

9E3AD8AB-D9D6-48C9-9A9A-693F94269960_zpsud6flo4n

Canopy next. How do folk go about painting the inside of these things? My prowler had sections stuck inside so it was a no brainier but this is a whole different story. :huh: any info or help would be much appreciated.

first, this scratch or mould line.

1D8889C4-F590-4512-AFA6-9FEFE546AD59_zpssca41nwy

annnnnnnd gone.

CE519DB9-A8CE-44E2-A884-B26C755C6968_zps5kdihv0a

:lol: I am going to mask both sides and paint.... I think.

6D74AA00-FAAA-46F9-9598-F3B5C66187C8_zps6jl2q7qb

I'll make that the last bit in 2016 any ideas are welcome.

thankyou all for making 2016 a great year, this my first year as a part of BritModeller.

It's been such a great deal of fun watching your builds and working through my own. Have a truly wonderful evening and here's to a plasticky filled 2017.

happy new year and as always........

Happy modelling people.

Johnny boy 

:pilot:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 10

Nice!!!!! That looks state of art for a 70's. As good as one of the new ones like the Thypoon:speak_cool:. Now that 2016 closes down rapidiy, I wish every one here on bm a nice new year. Quiet and healthy at first. Cheers. Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

I hate to remind you, but I did mention those cowl parts....at least I now know it wasn't me being a bad modeller as a kid! :whistle: Nice save there too by the way!

re the canopy, I would just paint the outside, but the first colour on should be the interior frame colour. If you paint both inside and outside you will see the interior colour from outside,,,,

Happy New Year everyone and see you all in 2017!

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Johnny boy,

just saw your thread for the first time now.

I believe that the "seam" you sanded on the front cockpit should have been left well alone, as it can be seen on every photo of 109E I have looked at.

It may be a ventilation opening, although I am unsure of its use at the moment (I know I used to be damn sure of it! Old age setting?)

Anyway, the dastardly deed has been done... So keep having fun!

And a great New Year to you (from where I sit, in 6 minutes... Damn!)

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Johnny boy,

just saw your thread for the first time now.

I believe that the "seam" you sanded on the front cockpit should have been left well alone, as it can be seen on every photo of 109E I have looked at.

It may be a ventilation opening, although I am unsure of its use at the moment (I know I used to be damn sure of it! Old age setting?)

Anyway, the dastardly deed has been done... So keep having fun!

And a great New Year to you (from where I sit, in 6 minutes... Damn!)

Cheers

JR

Oh hell. I can't believe that. :huh: maybe I could use the curved canopy?  Or better still add the line back in. :D

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I hate to remind you, but I did mention those cowl parts....at least I now know it wasn't me being a bad modeller as a kid! :whistle: Nice save there too by the way!

re the canopy, I would just paint the outside, but the first colour on should be the interior frame colour. If you paint both inside and outside you will see the interior colour from outside,,,,

Happy New Year everyone and see you all in 2017!

Ian

I knew someone mentioned it. Yes not you it's bobbins. I think I need to think about the canopy painting. I was going to paint it all the same colour. Now I'm. It so sure. 

Super work on shimmying that dastardly cowling into place Sir John. You can now say you it took you two years to build this aircraft.

Congrats on your first year on BM and an HNY to you and yours!

:cheers: Tony

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Super work on shimmying that dastardly cowling into place Sir John. You can now say you it took you two years to build this aircraft.

Congrats on your first year on BM and an HNY to you and yours!

:cheers: Tony

Right back atcha bud. :D

• Like 1

Cracking work John. Especially getting that cowling to fit. Those guns look the business. As for the sanded ventilation / seam on the canopy, it wouldn't be too much trouble for a man of your propensity to gently scribe a replacement using a strip of insulation or dymo tape as a guide...I mean, what could possibly go wrong :P

• Like 2

Looking great - I have to say that my own memory of making the beast at age 13.5 doesn't recall such a bad gun cowling fit. I do remember dry-brushing the engin and guns with Humbrol 11Silver, though: one of the persistent memories, along with applying the mottle part of the camouflage with a bit of sponge (as recommended in the magazines -or even the Airfix book - back in those days).

I'm afraid that I agree with Jean regarding the windshield side-panel line. I remember seeing photos with the aft half open - I believe that it pivotted, but I may be wrong on that last specific point. In any case, that line, sadly, should  be there. Just run a scriber down a length of Dymo tape or similar and you'll have it back in a twinkling :). Simple. (Edit - I see that Tomoshenko beat me to that bit of advice, only by seconds, mind you ;))

Happy Plasticky New Year :).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

Happy New Year Johnny! I am really enjoying watching your progress with the 109. Superb work on all aspects of the model. Talking of the canopy. The squared central section on the E model of the 109 does not have the central vertical frame. Have a good look a your reference book. These more heavily framed canopies only appeared on the F and G series. At least it could save you on some unnecessary masking. I look forward to your next update. Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

As for the sanded ventilation / seam on the canopy, it wouldn't be too much trouble for a man of your propensity to gently scribe a replacement using a strip of insulation or dymo tape as a guide...I mean, what could possibly go wrong :P

Famous last words........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Happy New Year Johnny! I am really enjoying watching your progress with the 109. Superb work on all aspects of the model. Talking of the canopy. The squared central section on the E model of the 109 does not have the central vertical frame. Have a good look a your reference book. These more heavily framed canopies only appeared on the F and G series. At least it could save you on some unnecessary masking. I look forward to your next update. Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

Well spotted Greg, I had missed that small, horrid detail on the photo...

Johnny, listen to the man! This is another opening panel of the canopy, without a framing, and on both sides of it!

Life is so unfair!!!

JR

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I have been researching canopys since last night. I should be able to pop the line back in quite an easy job:huh: and yes you're right the central join is an opener too. I think I'll plasticard the inside instead of just a plain mask, all struts on the central opener  and just the edges on the more complex parts, rear and front. I know I'll kick myself if I don't. Might get this done tomorrow. Keep em peeled.

great tips guys. :lol:

jont.

• Like 2

Bank holiday update before I set about de Chistmasifying the house.

:o That canopy! :o

first up old masking off.

E53CE2DE-86BB-4801-ADD4-EFA2E0DFB964_zpsjlroau2g

And window opener re-instated with a scribe.

4ED350C6-5474-439F-8DC6-82FAF42CC3F3_zpsz667btxb

6C71D358-A08C-47FA-8B50-E61FAD71F277_zpsoqtrnzfu

loos like it did before I faffed:huh: with it.

Then I built the inside framework from plasticard and set it in place with TET.

AC876BF4-393A-4CE0-99B6-151AEC98808C_zpsa5y1tbfs

B119228F-71CA-47F4-833D-3C575B53C9BC_zpshrhxaw12

and re masked!

FFC36C14-E96A-4672-BD61-6D50EFAC3C46_zps9syluopq

Everything then got an inside coat of RLM 02

F7EF4F77-BC2E-4AB1-BDE8-C04D9339453F_zpsufn6wsa8

and a dry fit to see if everything still fits.

740F32B8-72C4-42C1-B7E4-EBE93674F21A_zpsanptj90g

a few gaps but I can sort them easily enough. So a quick spray of top coat for the inner and edge parts and I can start the assembly, here's the front section on.

AA1B5E00-1626-4AC1-BDD3-29D6F5A59F76_zpsqc506fnx

I'm much happier now that lot is sorted.

thanks for your input on the canopy section. It really feels like this is going to come together quite quickly now. (Famous last words) thanks for spending some time with this old bird.

hope you're all having a spiffy 2017 so far.

Happy Modelling you lot.

John. :lol:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 7

That looks great John! Are you having the canopy open once the whole model is finished? If I remember correctly this was one of the moving parts on the kit. Similar to the control surfaces, and the undercarriage could move up and down on most of the 1/24 scale kits. The 109s had a small retaining wire that stopped the central section flapping all the way over when it is in the open position. Just another detail you may consider when nearing the end of the build. Looking good with the glazing fixed in place. Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

That looks great John! Are you having the canopy open once the whole model is finished? If I remember correctly this was one of the moving parts on the kit. Similar to the control surfaces, and the undercarriage could move up and down on most of the 1/24 scale kits. The 109s had a small retaining wire that stopped the central section flapping all the way over when it is in the open position. Just another detail you may consider when nearing the end of the build. Looking good with the glazing fixed in place. Cheers Greg :thumbsup:

Thanks Greg. Yup I'll have the canopy open, I think I'll do the retaining wire if that's what's needed too. Thanks for the tip.:D all of the other section I'm gluing in place. I was going for a hinged inspection flap but life's too short and the main cowl won't "just fit" so I'll paint it up and have it on the side.

2 minutes ago, AlexN said:

Nice! This build really is stirring the old memory bank. Great work, Johnny.

Thanks Alex.

Glad to be of service. ;)

• Like 2

First time I see a 1/24 Bf 109, and it does look real big!!!!!

Well done in sorting the canopy to perfection.

Have fun finishing this bird.

JR

• Like 1

Bank holiday update 1.1

Nothing much more done but filling shimming and sanding today but honestly you gotta see this masking.

09FB66A1-15F2-4C4B-BDB6-3970AD237107_zpsfo36npls

9A4C480C-6F48-465D-BCFB-A99E4336AD67_zpsdhz8xs5o

It really is quite marzipan!:lol: I realise there are better ways to do this but the canopy was a nat's ball out from fitting and there was no way I was going to start sanding that part again to get it shut. As I'm having it open I figured what the hell and .... wel....... marzipan!!:pilot:

Happy modelling folks.

Johnny berry

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 6

Bringing back lots of memories seeing bits of the kit coming out & recognising them from an old kit I tried to build as a kid.  Have you checked out the photos of 109 builds from MeierMotors GmbH?  They have a good Facebook page with lots of photos & have done some nice rebuilds of an E, F and Gs.

• Like 1