As we forgive you for not doing one before

and lead us not unto ebay

but deliver us from bidding

For thine is the FGR2

the Spey, the Alcock and Brown

Forever the best

Airfix

• Like 24

So now museums are going to be sworn to secrecy and have to close entire hangars for the day for MIAirfix can do their thing for the day. One day they are going to fool us all by doing more than one aircraft in a hangar.

PM

Although I've got two Fujimi British Phantoms in my stash (initial moulding and corrected later edition), I do hope that for all your sakes this rumour becomes true. It is obvious that a new tooled and easily accesable Phantom would be very popular in your part of the world so if it does occur - please buy it by the shed load.

The additional coffers banked by Hornby will then allow the Airfix researchers to add additional material to their ever growing selection of new tooled aircraft kits.

Somehow I also think that a Hunter or Venom would also generate a flurry of interest and sales activity, but let's get this obvious choice out there once and for all. We've seen quite a few 1/48 announcements so far, so my guess is 1/72.

Cheers... Dave.

• Like 3

I'll bring this up since I don't see that anyone else mentioned it, but Airfix could have been measuring up something from WWI like the Bristol F.2b Fighter. It seems to me it's a sure thing that they will follow up the Fokker E.II and BE2c with some other WWI releases.

BTW - is it possible to efficiently scan with LIDAR flying bookshelves such as DH.2 or helicopters like H-13 or Alouette II?

I would suspect that LIDAR won't be able to see through the fuselage framework to produce 3D model. Unless you put the radar inside the framework...

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 1

Although I've got two Fujimi British Phantoms in my stash (initial moulding and corrected later edition), I do hope that for all your sakes this rumour becomes true. It is obvious that a new tooled and easily accesable Phantom would be very popular in your part of the world so if it does occur - please buy it by the shed load.

I expect if not now, Airfix will produce a Phantom at some point in time. It's a significant aircraft in aviation history to not have one in the catalogue.

• Like 1

There's no radar used, it's a laser scanner that just scans the exterior. With helos I would assume you'd get cluttered data through the large transparencies but framework of the tail booms of an H-13 or Alouette should show up ok.

Then again I'm no expert on it so I'm probably talking a load of nonsense!

Anyone know if they use multiple scanners or just one that gets moved around the subject to get the full data?

Paul Harrison

Edited by GreenDragon

Who needs a new Phantom in 1/72? I already have 60 unmade including Esci (which I still think is the best C/D/J available), Hasegawa and 10 Fujimi K/M's. They are, eventually, to join the 170 (and counting) completed ones.

Actually, model kit catalogues are not brimming with Phantoms in the way they were twenty-odd years ago. Hannants list ten Hasegawa kits of three varieties (F-4EJ, F-4S and RF-4B), two from Tamiya (Italeri F-4G and F-4S) and single offerings from Academy (F-4J) Italeri (F-4S) and Revell (F-4F) in 1/72 scale for a total of 15, while in 1/48 we have four Academy and three Hasegawa kits listed. As a comparison, there are currently 32 1/72 and 25 1/48 F-16s available, and 28 1/72 and 21 1/48 MiG-21s listed. Remember the days when Fujimi had something like twenty 1/72 F-4s in their catalogue, and they were relatively easy to get hold of?

(By the way, there 128 1/72 and 51 1/48 Spitfires/Seafires.)

• Like 2

If it was an F-4 they were scanning, I'd be surprised to get an announcement anytime soon as they would need to process the data, THEN put together the CAD etc - it's not often Airfix announce something without having at least the CAD to display, if not also having the test shots ready.

Having said that, anyone remember they spoke about a research trip to Yeovilton in February - nothing yet announced that would match that, and the FAAM has a Phantom too......

• Like 2

It's like Christmas every month now...!!

But people want it weekly!

Why have the 2x 'variant' announces together when an almost weekly drip feed of news would get the Airfix-Crazy brigade salivating like Pavlovs modellers.

I think it should be every Friday so filled can have sleepless weekends thanking the Gods/cursing the Devils :)

Having said that, anyone remember they spoke about a research trip to Yeovilton in February - nothing yet announced that would match that, and the FAAM has a Phantom too......

Nah, that'll be a new Fulmar,Avenger, Ohka, (Sea) Vampire, Concorde, Hunter T8M...

...and then there the goodies in the reserve collection...

If it was an F-4 they were scanning, I'd be surprised to get an announcement anytime soon as they would need to process the data, THEN put together the CAD etc - it's not often Airfix announce something without having at least the CAD to display, if not also having the test shots ready.

..and of course there's no way of knowing WHEN Airfix's photo of the scanner was taken?

• Like 1