Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

I reckon they'll be pretty big sheets too.  I counted 17 RAF squadrons if you include 74, who apparently flew a few, 64/228 OCU and 23/1435 Flight.  Then there's the grey fighter schemes too.

Modeldecal covered all(?) the RAF schemes.

3 minutes ago, At Sea said:

No, didn't appear in 54 sqn either, which is what I think you meant.

No, was thinking 64 Shadow sqn (not 'R' as I put it) AKA 238 OCU.  Just been checking the Warpaint book and I think they only flew FGR.2s.

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

No, was thinking 64 Shadow sqn (not 'R' as I put it) AKA 238 OCU.  Just been checking the Warpaint book and I think they only flew FGR.2s.

Doh!  I only think of them as 228, forgetting the 64 bit.  :coat:

5 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Modeldecal covered all(?) the RAF schemes.

I've got one Modeldecal sheet which has a 43 sqn Phantom Update with some very snazzy black and white chequerboards.  It came as part of a Sabre F.4 set and I might finally get to use it now as it's been in the stash for years.

6 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Doh!  I only think of them as 228, forgetting the 64 bit.  :coat:

Ha!  Thought it was only me who did things like that.  Needless to say, RAF Phantoms have some great heraldry so for me it's more a case of which ones won't I build!  And I'm still only half through the Lightning Squadrons. 

11 minutes ago, stever219 said:

With the amount of detail they seem to be trying to get into that kit I wouldn't be surprised if Airfix follow on with a 1/48th scale kit in the same way that they did with the Defiant and Gnat.

Aye

But others are doing that

Now what if, just if, they shot for the moon and went to 1/24?  Too big, too expensive and a hundred reasons not to.

I'll take two please, no make that three

8 minutes ago, hovis said:

Well as a 1/48th builder, I'm still chuffed to eff.  Well done Airfix.

I know what you mean.  As a 1/72nd builder that's exactly how I felt about the Sea Fury.

• Like 5

Glad to hear that at last we have a British Phantom on the Airfix list in the proper scale for modelling! :D

Even though I try to stick to 1/72nd, a 1/48th one would sound nice if Airfix were such inclined... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looking forward to this.  From their website it looks to have engine intake trunks, which most 1/72 Phantom kits lack.  As mentioned above, I'd love to see a new tool Buccaneer too.

Regards,

Murph

52 minutes ago, hoppie said:

This truly is the best of times to be a model builder :clap:

Exactly. How nice to see someone being positive for a change, I remember when I was young using a selection of WW2 RAF roundels with the yellow cut off and an Airfix F-4B to make a very approximate F-4K.

How times have changed!

• Like 1

And it must be said - I do hope AIrfix come through with those lovely 36 round 2 Inch Rocket pods seen on the CAD images. Then we can all build  this Gun Rocket Slinger (YES I know its only a show pony) although if only 4  are included (see CAD images) with the kit you might have to buy at least 3 kits which can't be a bad thing either (lets hope its 6 as in the image above from Telford); on no I feel another attack of the ANTSCADS coming on! 

PIbC7I8.jpg

Edited by Uncle Dick

7 hours ago, Julien said:

Well said. All things considered £25 for a new tool Phantom with folding wings, radome, extending gear etc does not seem to be too bad for me. Also if we get a decent set of weapons which it looks like we might it is all looking good.

Julien

The after market mob will not be happy - what's Airfix trying to do put them out of business (only joking - this kit will probably be a bonanza for them - metal etch this, metal etch that, and don't forget the 35 quid for the radar fret

And what a year 2017 will be for Naval Aviation nuts like me - Walnut in 1/48, Sea Nut in 1/48 and now Phanut in 1/72 all we need now is a Westland WASP 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I think they possibly overcooked the rhetoric slightly with their line about making international waves, or whatever it was, because I don't think many people outside the UK care much about Spey Phantoms. But it will certainly do fine here

I care. (But am willling to relocate.)

• Like 4