Airfix 1/72 Phantom FG1

Rob P

Seen on the Airfix Facebook page, they're out and about with Lidar again.

"We've been out and about today. Very important research and playing with our 3D scanner again..."

12038751_10153597752531271_9190506507880

Looking at the roof, is this the same building?

12030535_10154258814854447_4354407061318

Whole topic and discussion here https://www.facebook.com/officialairfix/photos/a.80699376270.112940.65102591270/10153597752531271/?type=3

• Like 11

phantom, hunter, javelin, mig21, new bristol fighter, mkii hurricane, hawker nimrod, already done the meteor and would think the autogyro, varisty and proctor are way too esoteric, and unlikely to be the v-1, other easier places to go to for one of those

Edited by PhantomBigStu

They can carry on like this, it'll save me a lot of cash. So far the only 2016 announcement that goes anywhere near floating my boat is the 1:48 Meteor, although I may crack a smile if they announce a glider tug option for the Whitley.

Bedford and Brit Phantom in 1:48 would be awesome. As would be a good new tool 1:48 Hunter. Whatever was scanned the chances are good the kit will be on my list.

Edit: I just wonder: Wouldn't the Phantom in the new hangar (is it Bomber Hall???) be easier accessible for the scanner than the one in the Historic Hangars which seems to be a bit crammed in a corner?

• Like 1

phantom, hunter, javelin, mig21, new bristol fighter, mkii hurricane, hawker nimrod, already done the meteor and would think the autogyro, varisty and proctor are way too esoteric, and unlikely to be the v-1, other easier places to go to for one of those

Looking at where the laser thingymebob is, the Hunter is pretty much nose onto the Phantom, Javelin to the left and Mig-21 to the right (looking at the photo)... So I reckon it'll be the Phantom unless they need headon shots of the Hunter..

• Like 1

could well be both on the horizon then.....quite why they would need to LIDAR the vulcan when the CAD files the corgi team did are pretty damm good anyway having had a unlimited access to XH558

so phantom most likely, which scale will they choose? moneys on 1/72 which will be good news, though not for my wallet

The Phantom is quite a mainstream subject both for the UK and the global market. Either 1/48 or 1/72 would be going up against some competition. Brit Phantoms is a good starting point though as Fujimi kits are quite hard to find. I did hear of a re-release and don't know if it's already happened and they all sold out or it has yet to happen.