VF-32 TPS colours?

Inverted

Hi all,

Hoping someone with more knowledge on the topic than me can chip in. 
I'm building the Tamiya 1:48 F-14A and want to build it in the low vis TPS scheme. I've finally decided on the scheme from VF-32 Swordsman, when a pair of Mig 23 were shot down in a January 1989. 

Furball call for FS35237 Medium Grey  over  FS36320 Dark a ghost grey, without any Light ghost on the undersides. Now, FS35237 looks WAAAY too blue to my ref pics. Would I be better going dark ghost over light ghost?

F69E3278-3C3D-4AC0-B54A-E0A298E14798_zps

4DD997AB-69AA-42C2-8126-0D4CE3ADCD4E_zps

Edited by Inverted

The upper surfaces of these aircrafts were in 35237, this is the color that can be seen behind the cockpit and on the antiglare panel.

Checking the picture above and one I have in a book, the lower surfaces of the intakes look lighter than the sides, for this reason I believe that the aircrafts were in the standard 3-colour tps scheme. The 35237 areas are clearly visible, all sides are in 36320 and only the extreme lower surfaces were in 36375

• Like 1

I've been reading up on the VF-32 jets from '89 myself. As Giorgio said, Medium grey (35237) uppers, dark ghost grey (36320)  sides and light ghost grey (36375) 'tunnel', weapons pallets and tanks, though all of these areas were 'heavily weathered with spot painting in 36320.' Like most TPS schemes after a few months at sea, the Dark ghost grey faded and almost blended into light ghost grey, so depending on how heavily you wanted to weather your jet, you could paint the sides light ghost grey, darkened a touch and add heavy spot weathering etc - looking at the pictures above, to me, the sides of the forward fuselage look lighter than the dark ghost grey call out would suggest.

Dave

Another point I want to ask about F-14's is the intake demarcation..On some jets it a vertical line(as above) between the gray and the white of the intake tunnel, on others it slopes upwards to the ramp area...Was there a rule for painting these areas? 

Shaun.

24 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Another point I want to ask about F-14's is the intake demarcation..On some jets it a vertical line(as above) between the gray and the white of the intake tunnel, on others it slopes upwards to the ramp area...Was there a rule for painting these areas? 

Shaun.

I'm not sure Shaun, just seems to be aircraft specific. Best just looking at the jet you're building and going from there. I've done most of mine as the vertical lines.

Dave

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I'm looking at doing an overall gull gray , have to find a pic of the jet in question.

Which squadron? My VF-41 jet is overall gull grey and has the vertical lines from what I can see. That's why I'm a fan of FOD guards as they hide that area :lol:

46 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Which squadron? My VF-41 jet is overall gull grey and has the vertical lines from what I can see. That's why I'm a fan of FOD guards as they hide that area :lol:

At the moment Victory 201 VF-84 using the decals from the Eduard kit as I don't fancy painting the white underside and flaps. All though someone had pointed out the "Victory 200" on the kits sheet had all upper surface gray by the time it appeared in the movie?

Shaun.

Thanks all. I'm actually contemplating painting the uppers dark ghost grey and the rest light ghost grey. As said, with heavy weathering and fading, all the tones effectively seem to step down one. I will have a play

Edited by Inverted

On 12/11/2016 at 7:06 PM, Shaun said:

At the moment Victory 201 VF-84 using the decals from the Eduard kit as I don't fancy painting the white underside and flaps. All though someone had pointed out the "Victory 200" on the kits sheet had all upper surface gray by the time it appeared in the movie?

Shaun.

The VF-84 markings included in the Eduard kit are later than the movie, some 8-10 years later. By then this aircraft sure was overall grey. In case of doubt, I'd follow the straight demarcation in the intake

The aircrafts in the movie still carried white undersurfaces, although the top had dispensed with the white flaps.

55 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

FS35237 isn't particularly blue. It's a bit blue, sure, but on first glance it should look like a grey.

Always had a problem with that shade officially its used by the Luftwaffe where it most differently appears as a blue, but yet definitely is a greyblue on the f-14s....

On 14/11/2016 at 6:56 PM, Shaun said:

Yes, the VF-84 jet on the Eduard sheet is later(1999) and overall gull grey with the TCS and radar warning lumps and bumps.Will be adding these to the kit.

I'd probably go with a straight demarcation in the intake on this one, seems to have been the more common during the era

3 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Always had a problem with that shade officially its used by the Luftwaffe where it most differently appears as a blue, but yet definitely is a greyblue on the f-14s....

The colour is always the same, on both the US Navy and a number of Luftwaffe aircrafts (F-4F for example)  it's often heavily weathered and this can change its appearence, but it's always a blue grey.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

Some of it can be juxtaposition too. It depends what colours it's next to. It looks bluer against a neutral grey, and greyer against a bluer grey.

It's a pretty greyish colour though

ACUS38_1024x1024.jpg?v=1479321052

Correct, put it next to a Light Grey and a Medium Grey, FS35237 takes on a pure Blue appearance,  

030.jpg?m=1371899231

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 9:49 AM, Giorgio N said:

The VF-84 markings included in the Eduard kit are later than the movie,By then this aircraft sure was overall grey. In case of doubt, I'd follow the straight demarcation in the intake

Does anyone know if this jet was a TARPs configured aircraft?

Shaun.