Matchbox Saab Viggen 1/72

Kit is a bit on the elderly side - the canopy is a bit of a shame with bubbles and voids in the front one and really thick in the rear, cockpit is non existent with just a bare seat perched on a shelf, coaming in front cockpit way too short, no pilots, instrument panels.

IMG_40011_zpsa91b7j4c.jpg

Have 'borrowed' pilots form another kit, scratch building cockpit and opening up the thrust reverser petals.

Cockpit as a work in progress. First attempt at scrathbuilding much of anything

IMG_40041_zpskalyldqf.jpg

Starting to look Viggen-like assembled and primed - next up the 4 tone splinter camo scheme

IMG_40111_zpstblbebxy.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Christian - DIY all the way.

Have printed off multiple copies of 4 view drawings to scale and going to use these (distorted a bit to cope with curves) as templates to cut masks. Have started with the leading edges, tail tip and nosecone. Next up the underside

• Like 2

A bit of progress to report:

- leading edges, nose cone, exhaust and bits of black trim painted and masked

IMG_25171_zpsuvenzn10.jpg

- underside painted and all masked off

IMG_25181_zpsyzphksox.jpg

- started with the darker green as a base layer

IMG_25191_zpsm3kzkrtr.jpg

- and let the masking marathon commence. The whole thing will be cocooned eventually

IMG_25211_zps8br2bpwp.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Long time, no progress. Work and travel got in the way for a bit but have some pictures of the incremental maskathon

Eventually done as: Dark green -> black -> brown -> light green

Brown crept under the mask so there is quite a bit of retouching and clean-up to be done

Masking the dark green

IMG_4125_zpsgmeiyqbl.jpg

Masking the black

IMG_4172_zpsbipt6qub.jpg

Masking the brown

IMG_4179_zpsnufoihih.jpg

Final peeling - some scraping & retouching by brush still to do but you get the general idea

IMG_4180_zpsukbxcwqr.jpg

• Like 13

I guess it will take a lot of micro touching ups with such a camo from hell!

But it's gonna look good!

Impressive.

JR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished the construction & touched up a lot of the camo and hopefully a clearcoat will blur the difference in gloss between brush and spray regions.

IMG_42471_zpswcrhczi1.jpg

IMG_42461_zpsld4hg8hm.jpg

Which is all well and good but... when I time tried to put the transfers on it has all gone wrong. They're just falling to pieces - really tiny fragments as below. Does anyone have a spare set of Saab Viggen decals that would work on this model they'd be willing to sell?

IMG_42441_zpscoejbuh9.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 8

~~~~~~~~~Intermission~~~~~~~~

As I've not been able to work on the Viggen I've had kept myself entertained with a Revell Lancaster and an Airfix Spitfire. Some little touch ups, decals should still be Microsolled (is that the past tense when using Microsol as a verb?) and the planes varnished but otherwise pretty much done & dusted

IMG_43171_zpsq5dcofwu.jpg

• Like 2

I just caught up with the Viggen. I've never seen a two seater built up. It looks very futuristic. 

I know Gerry Anderson's 'UFO', Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet are, sort of, in the past, but IMHO the Viggen looks like one of the futuristic craft from those series.

Superb work on that very tricky camouflage scheme; it looks fantastic.

Nice Spit and Lancaster too :thumbsup2: .

Good luck with the bleaching - normally good results after a couple of weeks depending on how sunny it is .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

I attempted this camo on the Matchbox single seater (imagine, they did the Viggen twice over) but was nowhere near completion, far too crazy but I love that scheme

I still have the transfers (come ON! It was a very long time ago, we only did transfers back then) if you need them for any additions send me a PM

The roundel colours are very pale though...

Love this, did I mention it?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and advice throught this build

~copy/paste of the conclusion~

Long time, no update - life at 1:1 has gotten in the way of modelling at 1:72 but it is finally finished and had a matt clearcoat

Between the decal film and donated decals it got over the finish line but only just. Silvering, cracking, wrinkles - just about anything that could have plagued the last stage did

IMG_4648_zpsgp2zjtrx.jpg

IMG_4647_zpsafgrotjk.jpg

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/lostcosmonauts/IMG_4646_zpsue1lteja.jpg

IMG_4644_zps76qvpqe0.jpg

• Like 8

Not a "just about saved it" finish though, the old bird is a beauty

I'd build one again just for the grim reality of masking the camouflage but getting it better next time

But I won't, one was enough

Yours is good enough for me

• Like 1

Wonderful result! Four-colour splinter schemes? I get lost doing just two - I have to put bits of tape in the gaps that shouldn't be painted. It looks really nice - dodgy transfers 'n' all!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1