Gurrir, Troll Warrior

I picked up a couple of Mierce Miniatures sculpts last January, when they had a sale on, with the intention of getting them both done pretty quickly. Inevitably that didn't happen and Gurrir here has been sitting half painted for around 6 months. I'm trying to get a few half finished projects done before the end of the year, and he was at the top of the list. He went through a few colour changes before I settled on the rhino hide grey. Not the most inspiring of paint schemes, but the blood adds a bit of life to it.

And before you ask, he left the back half of his loin cloth in the wash :whistle:

30604221840_4514265f80_b.jpg

30817168091_812c9bfc62_b.jpg

30817162031_63333727d5_b.jpg

30604204080_7cd3a02a75_b.jpg

30269127053_467b805244_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 9

• 3 months later...

At least the wind didn't blow his modesty cloth up during the photo shoot.....

yet again proving your amazing paint skills Andy :) What a cool subject too. Have you got anymore of these kinds of creatures?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Madhatter said:

What a cool subject too. Have you got anymore of these kinds of creatures?

Thanks mate,

I picked up this lady at the same time that I got Gurrir

24375727816_ab235faf65_b.jpg

I haven't got any work done on her yet, but now we've got a proper figure modelling section, I'll see if I can squeeze her in later this year.

Andy

• Like 1

oh I like the Medusa! I wish I could figure paint well enough to do such a nicely sculpted piece the justice it deserves. I know you will when you get round to it! 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2017 at 12:31, Portaler said:

Andy that base is so good. I assume just a well picked out rock. I must find out how to get dirt to stay looking like dirt. Did you put some sort of clear cover over it ?

It's actually a piece of bark (like the pieces in the photo below), glued strait to the base with a hot glue gun. The whole base was primed, then painted and weathered with regular modelling paints. It doesn't need any clear coating. The cracked earth around the bark was done with Citadel Agrellan Earth, which is a texture paint that'll crack as it dries.

33270578975_2b18eb922c_b.jpg

I use wood and bark for a lot of bases as it's easy to get hold of, light weight, and takes paint well. All the bases below used similar bits of bark

11654747404_01f34f21eb_b.jpg

9001531834_feb3aecf47_b.jpg

19588851645_baf4364b27_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 4

Great tip. Thanks Andy. I must say since I've started this hobby I often find myself looking at stuff these days thinking "that could be used on my model". This one's a cracker though. Natural materials look so much more convincing.

• Like 1