Colin W

Hi All.

The issue with the blade holder was resolved by cutting off the top brackets and extending from the 6 and 8mm in the instructons to something more like 15 and 17mm. This twists and pushes the blades out and clear of the tail and the horizontal stabiliser. I bent a couple if the lower brackets to get the outer blade below the tail. In fairness to Scale warship, the set would probably have worked for a HU5 and the issue only arrises for those silly enough to fold the tail as well.

For future reference by anyone else doing this set here is the drawing you need.

IMG_6323_zpskjaecs2k.jpg

Colin

• Like 2

Well Humphry is finished and just posted in the gallery.

Here are a few more pictures for those interested. First the cable winch inside the cabin for the sonar cable and the instrument panel in the cockpit.

http://imgur.com/2gpR1eP

A close up of the finished rotor head. Clearly its worth installing the rotor brake as its quite visible through the roof. 

http://imgur.com/0K2qBxs

Here's the finished item in a perspex case. The problem with model helicopters is they are almost impossible to touch without breaking something and with the weapons racks and folded rotors Humphry is worse than most. I found this case in the local pound (50Baht)  shop. and its perfect. Humphry is secured to the base with brass pins and PVA. The rolling south atlantic ocean is from the net.

Cheers Colin

• Like 8

Congratulations Colin a superb build. Glad you were able to resolve the blade saddle problem. I don't know but just maybe the struts on the port side were longer than those on the starboard in order to clear the tail in the folded position? Something I never took notice of whilst I was working on them!

I have one set of the ROTORcraft parts left, all the other four will be rotors spread. Re the handkling problem, I grab mine by the area just aft of the MRH, not much to knock off there...

Colin

PS Colin, just had a look at your pics in the gallery, nice base, shows of your model to great advantage. Congratulations.

Edited by heloman1
additional text

Colin - great build and spectacular finish.

Thank you for the diagram in post at top of page, I think that blade holder will be the biggest challenge for me at my attempt!

Very nicely done. I did have concerns about the order you have folded the aircraft. I always thought the blades were folded first followed by the pylon but further research has proved you are correct and my foggy memories have been updated. She does look the business, great job!

Bob

• 11 months later...