Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

I  had this thought in my mind as well . Maybe Nick´s reconstruction gives an answer . But a few degrees more or less doesn´t change the fact that this is a quite big and blown-up  upholstery  . We can see some of the patterns which we also can see on photo 2 , that´s why it´s possible to judge the shape imho  . I guess this will be another trial and error case ...Hannes

• Like 2

As far as I can see noone on this planet ever tried to build this seat as it really looked like . Most of the modellers were content  to coat an unrealistic seat by leather .

Maybe I wasted too much time for thinking about Salamano´s and Bordino´s backs because they are now in their graves and don´t need a back support anymore.

Serious  again : This seat is an important element of the car´s design and I´m not thinking about the upholstery itself  but about the shape  which was the result .

And it´s worth the time to think about it .  Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 3

Chaps,

Not sure I have the answers either. When I looked a this a while back my thoughts went as follows:

Photo2 and Photo 28 are key.

There are two sets of piping around a very soft cushion. This softness is key. The stuffing is not sufficient to completely fill the space between the two faces. In photo 2 the rear piping is fixed to the bodywork with quick release fasteners. Because the cushion is not full the front face moves down and back until stopped by the tension in top edge and the thickness of the padding. If you imagine the front and rear faces are quite stiff and the side is soft. As a result the two faces can move up and down or back and forwards with respect to each other.

Drawing 6 looks about right to me.

The result is a very scruffy cushion. that presumably compressed and moved further when the driver leant on it.

Regards

Nick

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot , dear Nick ! I´ll involve your considerations in my planning . On drawing 2 we can see that the thickness of the cross-section is decreasing towards the bottom . We can see similar if looking at photo 2 .Most likely the upper part of the seat cushion was thicker and the lower part was slimmer .I´ll try to get a basic shape and will compare with the photos .

Three plastic plates of 3 mm thickness are glued together now and adapted to the basic plate . Now the interesting works will start and I´ll report if there are new perceptions . Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 2

I think Nick has it.

Remember; the comfort of the driver is zero* in these racing cars. When racing one of these cars the driver sits upright- away from the back. Only under extreme breaking does he lean against the seat back - for more support on pushing the brake pedal and pulling the brake lever

*In my Austin 7 the back of the seats is medium thickness leather panels supported by a criss-cross of upholstery webbing 2 inches wide - and not that much of it either. There is no padding on the leather panels. The seat squab [the bit you sit on] is about 75mm thick, a 'box' shape leather cushion [now stuffed with modern fire-retardant foam] which sits on an angled piece of wood which is on the floor. Nothing is remotely comfortable

In the 806 it looks like a soft stuffed cushion with extended side/top flaps to hold it to the bodywork. The softness has allowed the stuffing to drop to where it fits the small of the driver's back - all as Nick has said

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks , dear Fred ! My buttock starts to hurt when listening to your descriptions ! However , the 806 seat seems to be a bit more comfortable compared to the  "electric chair "  on drawing 2 .   Many greetings !  Hannes

• Haha 2

I asked an professional upholsterer , Olaf , a friend of mine , regarding the driver´s seat . He confirmed many of  Nick´s and Fred´s statements ..

This was a slip-shod work and the frontal face hangs down . The  "patterns"  were originated from chance and are the result of the insufficient  upholstery of horse´s hairs . There are two different pipings , the backward one is covered by the seat´s  suede leather , the frontal piping connects two different suede parts .

The pipes are made out of flexible plastic today , at that time they were most likely  made out of paper-coated wires .

Both parts of the seat are mounted on wooden  basic plates .

The strip on the seat fairing is made out of soft leather  and several parts are sewed together .

What does all this mean for my model ?  I decided to show no patterns at all .Sometimes it´s better  to show just the basic shape  than the ugly reality imho .

Too bad because my sculptor´s heart always waits for opportunities to show some artistic works . But in this case it´s better to  stay self-controlled .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 3

I hope you will not  get dissapointed , dear Olivier because I will keep the shape simple  and only the two pipings could make a difference . We will see...

All the best , my friend   Hannes

• Like 1

Here we can see the fundamental shape of my driver´s seat / seat fairing scratchbuild . I can´t see plastic chips anymore ! They are in my bed , in my hairs and on my dog !

The 3 pipings are not yet fixed , 2 of them will get mounted after painting .

I usually wait with paintjobs  till almost the whole car is constructed . This time it will be an exception because I want to complete the whole unit . It will take some days ...

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

Many thanks dear Olivier ! Things are starting to get very interesting now because it´s the first time that color  will cover a small part of the white car .

I want to wish you and your dear family an nice evening as well !   Hannes

• Like 1

Thank you , dear Nick . But now this part isn´t white anymore and I have to wait till the color is completely dry. Grrr ! I´d like to mount the quick release fasteners and the pipings but I guess tomorrow will be the day for that .

In the meantime I will start with the next projects : The 2 additional tanks on the left side . I think I can use some of the kit´s parts but 95  per cent will get scratchbuilt again . 

After these works are done  I will finally start with similar works like Harvey already showed us in a magnificent way .

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 2

Surprise , it´s a red seat ! A little ( dare -? ) devil whispered in my ear all the time : Paint your seat red ! And I finally gave in .

I don´t like the standard  black color , dark gray would have been the natural contrast , but too obvious somehow imho and dark green or brown would look like one of these little cars you can see on a vanity fair .

That´s why I decided to paint the seat in dark red . It´s darker than the dark red I will use for the rest of the car ( seat fairing ) and it symbolizes for me nobility and a deep , hidden passion .

This build group now stays in a safe place and I will install it when my construction is way more advanced than today .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 3

Waooh! Hannes, what a beautiful seat!! It really looks like leather (and the best quality one), I love it! 

You were right following what this (kind) little devil whispered to your ear, and I like your artistic arguments.

Of course, some could say the seat was not red on the original car, but you are an artist, a poet, and a poet may take some freedom to get what he has in his mind...

I allow myself to take advantage of such a comment to insert here the very personal interpretation I made many years ago of the 1/8 Heller Citroën 15. I created here a Convertible with 4 doors, that never existed... 

NvCtK7.jpg

Now I understand the mystery you made around the color my friend... 😉

All the best

Olivier

• Thanks 1

Many thanks , dear Olivier ! Our b/w photos don´t show what color was used for the seat . Drawing 5 does not give an answer as well .Let´s say , it´s artistic freedom .  Your Mustang looks really great btw and I like it very much ! And your Citroen shoes a very convincing and also courageous combination of colors as well ! Hannes

• Thanks 1

Superb result, dear Hannes...I like the colour, too!:thumbsup:...

1 hour ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

It really looks like leather (and the best quality one),

It does indeed! I have a tip for you that will make it look even more realistic, if I may be permitted.....shoe polish (natural or brown)!! Apply liberally to the seat with cloth, brush or finger, then, just polish....instant leather!

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1