Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

Pics from the slaughterhouse ! Here we can see the first steps of my " Operation Pinoccio " ( The nose gets longer ) 7 louvres will get added to each upper row( 45 instead of 38 ) like on the original .The cam fairings will get elongated and altered as well . The sculptural and adaption works will take some time .

I don´t intend to construct moveable bonnets that´s why I established a snap-in system for keeping the bonnets in place . The hinges on the original are very small  and I prefer optical fidelity over function . The original bonnets could get removed  as an unity as well as we can see on drawing 2 ( hook and spring )

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 4

Many thanks , dear Olivier ! I´m curious too because in the end there will be a result that will show new perspectives ! But : The realisation won´t be easy but I think it´s worth the effort .

Many greetings !   Hannes

Many thanks , dear Harvey , I´ll try to do my best to create convincing parts .Over 90 years ago  these long bonnets  vanished in a smelter and now it´s time to resurrect them in a smaller scale .  Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 1

I built a metal frame around my bonnets because the adaption works will be easier  this way . The whole construction reminds me of the Gemini space capsule .

That shows us the futuristic design of this car !😄   Many greetings  !    Hannes

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Most of the adaption works are done now , only some minor sculptural works are left .

Unfortunately some sheet regions became too thick again ( transition bonnets-radiator case ) and I will have to spend some time for replacing them by thinnner versions. Grrr ! A new bonnet support on the radiator case will be necessary as well.

After that I will cut out the flute for the fake hinges and the openings at the frontal region of the bonnets .

The highlights will be the new cam fairings which look very different compared to the kit´s version .They will be hollow inside of course and I will have to remove parts of the bonnets sheets .

• Like 2

Thanks for your kind comments ! Yes , it´s a sexy beast , that´s why I felt attracted by her .

If there´s no woman in my life right now , I´ll have a little mistress at least !😍     Hannes

• Haha 2

Hannes,

Beautiful as always. New bonnets definitely look the way to go.

One thing on cam covers, I have thought for a long time they were straight cones with hemispherical ends.

As I finally pick up the my endless analysis of the lines in Blender, I was looking again at the photos this week and wondered if the covers are are actually slightly curved after all. It may just be the way the light falls in the pictures. I know we discussed this along time ago. I wondered if anyone's thoughts had changed.

• Like 1

Dear Nick , I´m aware that they are slightly curved but contrary to the kit´s version they are more cone-shaped . I´m not sure if the tips reach the rear bonnets border .

There´s also no very  sharp angle between the covers and the surrounding sheet and I will create a tiny curved transition . Many thanks for your kind words !   Hannes

• Like 1

Some of you may wonder how to connect different materials ( phosphor bronze , die-cast metal , brass and plastic )

At some critical points I made connections  by dowels , I used 1,4 mm brass screws  for that  .They were flattened after screwing them in , secured by super-glue .

After adapting the parts at the inside of the bonnets now here´s the secret for a firm connection and keeping thin walls : It´s paper !

Yes, you heared right , ordinary paper from a daily newspaper for instance .  Cut out overlapping pieces of paper , apply 2c epoxy glue ( 12 hours till firm ) soak the paper with epoxy and flatten the surface . This way you will get a very firm , almost invisible and thin connection .

I invented this system after several trial and errors and I´m glad that it works very well .

• Like 2