Fiat 806: research and scratchbuilds

of course you are an artist and have created a beautiful model. I was, in a satirical moment, responding to your suggestion I had not the ability to observe what you had modified.

everyone is Way too sensitive these days..... cheesh

• Like 1

Thanks southpier, I apologize if I have been a bit rude in my replies, but I had read too much time on the thread recently to stop it with my build. I admit I am maybe too perfectionist, but I knew what I did, and even if the improvements are subtle, they were important for me.

As I said above, I am a bit nervous too because of the lack of interest this build generates from people who should feel more concerned. I don't want to say more for now, but I wrote to a VIP person, sending him a letter and photos to explain what I had done, and still no reply... No more reply from automotive, no more from the french editor to whom I wrote a mail. All this energy and just the silence. Angry too against Italeri, to whom I asked more than 1 month ago a decal sheet (I used the form in the instruction sheet) that is not yet arrived and that will probably will never arrive (I am maybe in their black list) ;)

I have given a lot for months and months, and maybe, like a woman who gives birth, I have also a kind of "baby blues"  now that my model is over, losing so a bit my sense of humour!:D

• Like 2

There will be reactions , dear Olivier but it will take more time as you suppose .It´s odd : last year I published my Vostok spaceship in a german forum . It was a really simple build with some small alterings .

It was liked but vanished to the second page after some months and this was OK for me because there were more elaborated models in that section . Some days ago I had to discover that my model is on the first place on the inspection  section  again ! I really wonder why . I published the photos here in the britmodeler SF section as well some weeks ago and besides some kind comments it´s not one of the most noticed models and that´s OK for me too , because it´s not a great model , just a rare one because the kit was made in the GDR .

Similar happened to my Mef  : Some months ago it reappeared on the first page again and photos of it could be seen in the pic section if you searched for Fiat Mefistofele in the net !

We just have to be patient ! The best way to get rid of the baby blues  is to start with the Mef . I made a break in the last weeks and I´m still about to slim the walls of my bodywork by milling - a real dirty work ! I´m on the right way , but it´s a stony path .

Your presentation in the " ready< for inspection " section will be a success and I want to thank you personally for your kind words .

Many greetings !   Hannes 

• Like 1

It's me who thank you, Hannes!

The problem is that, if I begin the Mef, I will certainly lose motivation to publish something on the 806 build. I will first try again to contact the french editor, and, if nothing happens in the next 15 days from him or from the VIP that I still keep for me (maybe you guess who it is), I will begin the Mef build.

I was joking about the "baby blues", if I was depressed, I would not have put so much energy to improve my photos, make new ones and do the job for the "ready for inspection" section...

But it is true that I am disappointed because I wanted to publish something about this amazing build...

Many greetings ! Olivier

• Like 1

Juan Manuel spent 40 mn to get this excellent result: removing the left bonnet on my profile view, allowing a still better comparison with our photo 28. 1000 thanks to him! Of course, it will be added in the "ready for inspection" section too... 

About that, Julien has done the necessary and now my Fiat is in the good section, vehicles...

I am improving the text and the photos small and small in this "ready..." section, hope you will appreciate...

All the best

Olivier

bRJ5AA.jpg

2gMgTZ.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:26 AM, Olivier de St Raph said:

Thanks southpier, I apologize ...

not to worry. "forum communication" is not a perfect means, and we have different cultural and modeling experiences. you have every bit the right to be miffed at what you believe have been shorts for your efforts, and I as much to say "it's a great model - so stop worrying!"

perhaps reality is somewhere between?

• Like 1

Here is the reply of Sebastien to whom I suggested to go and look at my Fiat on the "ready for inspection" section (Fiat 806 Corsa 1/12: a true to original replica). He just published a new book, that seems beautiful, about Lorraine Dietrich:

Bravo Olivier,

Je pensais bien que c'était une bonne chose de comparer votre maquette avec une "sortie de boite". Les photos parlent d'elles-mêmes. Vous avez fait un travail formidable.
Merci d'avoir cité mon livre. Je ne sais plus si je vous ai informé de la sortie de mon nouveau (désolé si c'est le cas). Je vous mets le communiqué de presse en pièce jointe à tout hasard.

Bonne soirée et j'espère à bientôt,

Sébastien Faurès
NOUVELLE ADRESSE / NEW ADDRESS:
12 rue Bernard Lasserre

31400 Toulouse
France
Tel: +33 9 54 44 09 11
Cel: +33 6 07 95 13 43
mailto:[email protected]
psI5vq.png

P.S: up to now, only Hannes, Nick and Harvey, from our team, have "liked" and/ or put a little comment on this thread. You are probably all very busy but I spent a lot of time for this new presentation, improving regularly text and especially photos, and it is a paradox that most of you didn't, while I got likes and very kind comments from other members of Brit (most of them are aircraft modelers!). Of course, this is just a suggestion, feel free to do what you want... ;)

• Like 1

Comment posted just now on Little Andi's ready for inspection thread:

Little Andi,

definitely, we can say the Fiat 806 will have generated a lot of interest on the Brit forum. Jeremy the first, then you, and finally me (and maybe others soon) will have given their personal interpretation of this legendary race car.

What to say about your build and your pics? they are amazing, stunning, fascinating, definitely. Ok, your model is far from being true to the original, but I know you don't care. You are a great artist, and you made here what we may call a free adaptation. The pics are somptuous, with very light shadows and they reveal the breadth of your talent. Incredible weathering technique, that I would like to be able to do.

My build is on the contrary a true to original replica, on which the sculpture work (to make all the corrections necessary) has taken probably the largest part, up to the representation of Pietro Bordino, from a figure of Sir Lawrence.

Diversity is a wealth, and it is very good that our models are so different. They are different because model making is an art, and the same subject, in the eyes of such or such artist, gives very different results.

I regretted what happened on the Gangshow, I have never wanted to "highjack" your thread, and I never felt threatened by the talent of others.

Congrats again for your wonderful fantasy interpretation, I really love it!

No offense

Olivier

Every story has an end, my contribution to this thread is over. Sharing here has been most of the time a real pleasure. I thank for the last time all of you. My next build will not be the Mef (after the pioneer work that required a lot of will and energy, I need a more "simple" one). It will be the Tamiya P51D Mustang at 1/48, for which I will take inspiration mainly in the JM Villalba's DVD, to which I had taken a little part, assuming the french translation.

I wish all the best to all of you, especially Hannes and Harvey who are "on the bench" to get a very convincing Fiat 806 and who have always been encouraging and of a strong support for me, from the beginning to the end.

Olivier

• Like 2

This thread has been a great pleasure and it´s very unique as well . I   want to thank all including Roy of course and I hope I can give back a reward once my construction is done . Olivier , Sam ,  Nick , Harvey ,CC , BK and others became precious friends for me and of course we will meet again .

And it´s not over yet , it  will also be the beginning of individual  interpretations of this great car . Harvey is already on a very good way .

I´ll keep you informed regarding my build by posting pics from time to time .

My special thank goes to Olivier , a great character , who demonstrated that a convincing reconstruction can be done .

History is a great teacher and I´m sure we all learned a lot .

Many greetings !   Hannes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear followers of this amazing thread,

I was not supposed to post again photos, but I was not totally happy with my previous photos done on a white cardboard. I recall that I had chosen this white cardboard because it seemed to me that it was the one that respected the best the red color of my model, and also because the one I had done previously on a black cardboard seemed to erase details.

What I had not taken in consideration is the fact that, meanwhile, I had modified a lot the settings on my cam (Manual, RAW format) and begun to use Photoshop (Lightroom 6), that allows to make many corrections and actions on many parameters. 

I decided to bring back home my Fiat and made these new photos, trying to be inspired by the amazing pro photos of the Hannes Mefisto.

Tomorrow, I will bring back my OOB to make the last comparison photos, on this black cardboard. 

And then it will be definitely time for me to open a new modeling page...

All the best

Olivier

P.S: for these photos, I did not try necessary to get the same angles of views than our docs, this has ever been done, I was more in an "artistic" approach...

P.S 2: I will add them to the ever "heavy" article "ready for inspection" I made about our car...

GjwZqj.jpg

YZIOrR.jpg

Or8Hsc.jpg

Qo20Ec.jpg

GIdU3O.jpg

8jYs6U.jpg

Z6SCss.jpg

• Like 1

Olivier, I have to say, yet again, you have created THE FITRST, true replica of a very enigmatic piece of history. I truly doff my cap in your direction,Sir!!! Your tenacity in reaching this goal has been admirable.....and to bloody good effect! BE PROUD!!!!

Cheers, H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Olivier, I have to say, yet again, you have created THE FITRST, true replica of a very enigmatic piece of history. I truly doff my cap in your direction,Sir!!! Your tenacity in reaching this goal has been admirable.....and to bloody good effect! BE PROUD!!!!

Cheers, H

Thanks a lot dear Harvey! yes, it is one of my character traits, I am a warrior (against myself!) and a perfectionnist, always trying to improve my work. It is so that you can get better results and improve your skills, in model making as in photography as in my pro activity... In this case, I must thank again J.M Villalba (sorry... ;)) who gave me the good hints that allowed me to get such pics, not as good as the great pro photographer Hannes called for his Mef but not so bad however.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

The rear view is utterly amazing !

Thanks a lot, CC! I love it too, all the "surgeries" - we talk between health pros ;) - done on the top of the rear body give a very realistic look of sheet metal. But I don't dislike the light on the driver's face on the frontal view too... I am finally not so unhappy with my figure... :P

P.S: did you have a look at my "ready for inspection" summarize? I admit it is maybe a bit too "heavy", but it was difficult to do shorter without forgetting truth aspects... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olivier de St Raph said:

Thanks a lot, CC! I love it too, all the "surgeries" - we talk between health pros ;) - done on the top of the rear body give a very realistic look. But I don't dislike the light on the driver on the frontal view too... I am finally not so unhappy with my figure...

P.S: did you have a look at my "ready for inspection" summarize? I admit it is maybe a bit too "heavy", but it was difficult to do shorter without forgetting truth aspects... 

Yes I did :yes:

• Like 1

My last comparison photos. I have replaced the frontal comparison by the one below, much better (the cardboard was visible on the sides of the photo).

HmPl3V.jpg

y7l9lu.jpg

P.S: I have maybe found the great pro photographer I was looking for... A good friend of mine (not modeler at all) recommended me this photographer. I'll let you know...

• Like 3

No Sam, I didn't do anything more to my grille. As I explained above after the same comment from southpier, it was very difficult to get exactly the same bending of the grille 0,4 mm steel bars. They are parallel on a frontal view, but there are little bending differences on top view. I wouldn't have got such a problem with a flat grille, as Robin Lous did, but I chose the most difficult challenge. Kindly, Hannes said about that "defect" last november 3:

"The theory of esthetics says that there must be some small defects or irregularities  before we consider an object as beautiful . A completely symmetrical face is just dull even if it´s components are well shaped"... 

Even if I agree with this artistic point of view, to be honest, I have to admit I would have however preferred more perfect grille and frame, but this work (reshaping the frame and respoking the grille with bended rods) was a real challenge, especially as  I was the first to do the job. Maybe some of you will improve that on their build, finding a better method (3D, bending machine??).

I could have avoided posting top view pics, hiding so the "defect", but I have ever explained many times that my build is not perfect, it is a craftwork, I assume that to 100%. And this is the same for the driver... ;)

P.S: I must recall too that it was my 2nd generation grille, I had to redo the first one because it had been found that the dimensions of the kit's radiator case were wrong... The problem of being a pioneer... Maybe my first grille, using 3 rods/ line, instead of bending (and so using only 1) was better from that point of view...

My first generation grille (I have no top view but I suppose it would have been better than the 2 nd generation, done more simply, bending rods). Of course, on the other hand, the proportions were wrong...

jnYTOL.jpg

• Like 2

I also mentioned that women painted black spots on their powdered faces in the baroque age . They wanted to avoid an mask-effect and also wanted  to get  considered as an own , stylish personality . The place , where this spot was situated  was very important of course . If they had painted this spot on the tips  of their noses  everybody would have considered them as crazy , even in the baroque age !:D

What I want to say is : Let´s look at Olivier´s model as a whole piece of art ! Like every other piece of art it can get critisized of course  but the positive and unique elements are very dominant imho . A pioneer´s work   always opens  a new path and it´s much  easier for those who follow  to walk this way !

Many greetings !  Hannes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been very busy and must apologise for not having been active on this forum for the last couple of weeks, including my own topic to which I have not yet replied although I am very impressed with the breakthrough suggestions posted there. I'd like to make a reply with thankfulness and nuance, which I have not yet been able to do.  

Olivier, as said before and I'll keep repeating it for everyone to hear, I really love the look of your car and would much like to see it in real life, as it would be for me, after a lot of research, a revelation I'm sure; as will it be to Nick I think, and the other participants in this topic who have participated in the research; being all participants that I can think of, really. Finally, having proof based on matching pictures (98%?), it seems that these were very much the real lines of the car. The new layer of paint is certainly an improvement and I'm glad you crowned your model by applying it. 

P.s. Olivier are you sure you're not going for the astonishing 1/32 Zoukei-Mura P51? Now that's a build experience in itself, with the beautiful manual... the accompanying book... all the photo etch... the extreme level of research of the real plane that the friendly folks at Z-M committed themselves to.... just saying ;) 

• Thanks 1

First of all, Roy, glad you feel fine and were just busy. I began to worry about you and was about to write you on P.M to get news.

Thank you very much for your kind comment. Like you, I think I have still improved my model with the corrections done after the Hyères Maquett'expo, especially applying a brighter red, on improved surfaces.

Your suggestion about the ZM is very tempting, but:

- I had the 1/48 Tamiya kit, that is more simple but very good though

- JM Villalba used the Tamiya kit in his DVD and I wanted to use it to improve my skills, especially by making rivets with the rivet wheel.

- I have ever ordered the decals sheet from Eagle cals to do the same version than Juan, and also Eduard photoetched sets...

In other circumstances, I would certainly have bought the ZM kit. I have never built a kit from this brand, but I know they are exceptional...

All the best 

Olivier

P.S: did you take a look at my "ready for inspection" gallery? A summarize of this amazing build...

• 2 weeks later...