Meng Mk V Male Tank @ 1/35

longshanks

Nothing delicate about these tanks is there? All lumps and bumps and huge pieces of timber chucked on top. Like the look of "Corporal Clegg" although he seems to be wringing his hands in anguish after running over his sergeant with the RRR...............................................:rolleyes:

Longshanks

You are right, there are probably many interpretations of the actual exterior color and multiple shades though yellow/purple does seem a bit extreme.

Seems like whatever color from the factory would last about 20 minutes in the hellish conditions at the front anyway.

It's like the debate on the ship model site a few years back about the color of the Arizona, was it blue or gray or just "ship color" and who is right as everyone sees colors differently anyway.

The removable roof idea was just that and probably not a good idea so I'm leaning more towards just completing the exterior and let the interior be what ever it turns out to be.

BTW, what are duckboards and where are they used and wonder who comes up with these names, like why aren't they "geeseboards"?

Take care,

Lloyd

Duh...I went back to page 5 and I see duckboards go just inside where the sponsons mount, probably so the gunners can relieve themselves  when the action gets heavy without messing up the entire floor and giving them firmer footing.

Must have been a chore loading those 6 pounders with the rattling rivet rhomboid bouncing all over with no springs or even any suspension that I can see.  The heat, noise and exhaust fumes and bullets pinging off the shell must have been a tad distracting and the thoughts that anything bigger than a rifle bullet would go right through the tin can "armour".  But then "Men were Men" back in the day and I  wonder if they had "Darwin Awards" back then.

Edited by BlackMax12

Kev

I think Meng wants the exhaust painted silver which I thought was kind of dumb.  On my Meng Female MKV I painted the muffler and exhaust Tamiya Dark Iron and then gave it a wash of Vallejo Light Rust in places so some of the dark iron still shows through and I think it looks decent.

I like the base color you picked as it's darker than mine and should show the weathering better than the pinkish/brownish I started with.

I see you masked all of the hatch openings, I was thinking of just sticking the hatches into the openings but masking is probably the smarter choice as the air brush might blow a hatch off and then big mess inside..

You will have this monster completed before the new year.

Regards,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Wonderful how the first coat of paint pulls things together. Looking really good Kev, Think Lloyd's advice on the exhaust is sound, maybe some black pigment on the business end of the pipe.

Still trying to figure what you use Marmite for on this build :rolleyes:............................................

• Like 1

Looks brilliant to me. I have a question that I have wanted to ask about these WW1 tanks for ages, what are the (what look to me like) steel I beams on the roof of these things for? They surely weren't anti-roll bars? (Please excuse my ignorance in all things Tank, I have only recently escaped from the Aircraft section).

Duncan B

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Julian........ Marmite for :tapedshut:    Then used for white spirit, acetone and water containers on the desk top and for taking to club on meet nights.

Duncan ...... No such thing as a silly question. I'm no expert ....The cross beam was used for unditching the tank. It was held in place on the fore & aft runners until needed. When released from within the tank it slid down into the trench and gave the tracks something to purchase against. A further development were fascine bundles. Logs lashed together to form a package to be dropped into the trench to aid crossing. Hope this helps...

Started work on the base 

Twin wall plastic cos whenever I have put plaster on anything else it warps.

A put a 5mm deep wood lip around to give a level datum and used some old Carlite Bonding I had kicking around

P1040230%20Copy_zpsdvzeytv7.jpg

Using a pattern and several hours with a scriber and we arrived at....
P1040231%20Copy_zpsxbnixnix.jpg

I did mention at some point cobbles but when I worked out it would need somewhere in the order of 2600 I binned that idea.

Think paving will do

P1040232%20Copy_zpsbpej55im.jpg
P1040233%20Copy_zpslmfichil.jpg

Happy days until

P1040234%20Copy_zpsaqzf6wgt.jpg

No I didn't drop it. Had it upside down over the bin tapping the bottom and .......

Mark Two

Lip added around the base with an undercut on the inside edge. Base heavily scored, holes drilled for plaster to push into. The random bits of plastic are T shaped plastic for grip..... you get the picture belt,braces and a bit of string 

P1040235%20Copy_zpsgltboac8.jpg

So far it seems ok
P1040237%20Copy_zpsamscx8nf.jpg

P1040238%20Copy_zpsm58csslv.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 11

Kev - when do we get to order one of those bases.  Super work - Love it.

The base colour looks absolutely fab.  Agree with Lloyd's suggestion - though I usually use Vallejo Black Grey as a base.  Personally I prefer the Lifecolor Rust shades that are almost diluted pigments and often give a textured finish unlike the Vallejo equivalents.  I reckon soft steel would have rusted+++ in this vehicle's working environment (all be it short in time). And it's become a Modeller's tradition that ALL exhausts have to be maximally rusted :elephant:  Its the Lerrr.

Fine, fine work

Rob

• Like 1

First off thanks all for the advice on the exhaust and your kind comments.....

21 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

I was hoping you would make the mistake I did and use bricks.

and there I was thinking you was a nice man :rofl:

19 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looks like the same pattern as my garden path 

Keith I'm thinking of retraining as a landscape gardener lol

Frank good to hear from you. I hope to see the completion of your Victory in the New Year

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Have you thought about getting hold of a sponson trolley from the Takom Mark 1 Male kit on which to display the dismounted sponson?

No but I shall look into it Cheers

28 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Kev - when do we get to order one of those bases.

Got a nice line in Crazy Paving going cheep if your interested??

Wishing you all a Great Christmas

Kev

• Like 3

Lots done but it doesn't seem to have changed a lot. Roof now glued in place, hatches fixed open. Kit stays were replaced by 0.5mm brass rod and a bit of gizmology. Tracks fitted but yet to be weathered in.

OK Tried my hand at a lightly toasted exhaust, not sure .... what do you reckon.

P1040309%20Copy_zpsvlp4zpo6.jpg

P1040311%20Copy_zpsjbrs3vmw.jpg

P1040317%20Copy_zpsmprkoyeq.jpg

P1040314%20Copy_zpskiafgfmn.jpg

All MG guns now fitted in swivel balls, balls not easy to fit :banghead:

P1040315%20Copy_zpssbqrhgdo.jpg

P1040316%20Copy_zpsbupiipnq.jpg

and I've built a stand for the sponson

P1040318%20Copy_zpsxgs8romc.jpg

P1040319%20Copy_zps9btmku1t.jpg

P1040320%20Copy_zpsss9hsrpn.jpg

The wood will of course be painted to look like wood :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 10

I agree with Dads the muffler looks exceptional but the pipe could probably be a little rustier, I don't think they had high temp silver paint back then.

The sponson stand is unique and fits right in, love it.  It will look like it's right at home when it's weathered.

What did you think of the tracks?  I wasn't impressed on the tracks for either the Meng Female MKV or the Meng Whippet as they are both the same track and both gave me grief.  They wouldn't stay clicked together so I ended up gluing probably 50%

of them.  The little connecting pins are just too small and fragile for my big hands.

Yes the balls on the machine guns for both the female MKV and the Whippet are quite fiddly.  There are lots more on the female version and two of them can no longer swivel, glue crept where it shouldn't.

I got sidetracked on my Male MKV build as I've finished my Sherman, built that ICM Opel truck, almost completed the ICM German Communications truck and now have a Russian ZIL-157 tractor in the paint booth.

That tractor is part of the SA-2 missile on trailer kit but I'm not building the trailer or missile.  Christmas gift so what can I do, not something I would have bought.

Back to the Male MKV in the new year and hope to finish it to match my Female version and as someone said they are a breeding pair, hope they don't fight.

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1