Meng Mk V Male Tank @ 1/35

longshanks

Been watching this for a bit Kev. I have the same problem,  I can't build straight OOB.  Nice job with the engine and interior. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, longshanks said:

Go on put me out of my misery what's MVS duty?

Thank you all for your kind thoughts

Kev

Maritime Volunteer Service. The Poole unit is fund raising there and Gill and I got the gig. I hate this sort of thing but one can only duck one's responsibilities for so long.

Martian

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Maritime Volunteer Service

:hmmm: Hate to be a kill joy but you do know there are no boats at Bovington Tank Museum,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Sorry but some muppet had to say it :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I hate this sort of thing but one can only duck one's responsibilities for so long.

At least its in good location. I've not been to the museum in years and keep looking for an excuse. Roll on the model show in February

Kev

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm: Hate to be a kill joy but you do know there are no boats at Bovington Tank Museum,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No but our Head of Unit, an ex Royal Marine works there and its turn up or else............................:hanging:There doesn't seem to be a smiley for the drawing and quartering part!

Martian

• Like 2

Well knock me down with a feather, Meng have made a mistake!

Section 53 (sponson) tells you fit the rear door, then side panel and finally front panel and it ends up twisted and doesn't fit the side chhek. So I reversed the order (more logical as the front panel locates more securely). Low and behold there is a gap between the rear panel and floor

P1040141%20Copy_zpsxak4xrm1.jpg

Top, centre of image. A slip of plastic card all sorted and the sponson fits the side cheek ..... so it must be right

Job I was not looking forward to was painting all the shell case ends, all went well using some brass printers ink I bought over 20 years ago at Euromilitaire. Beautiful finish, far superior to Humbrol and Vallejo metallic.

P1040150%20Copy_zpskori7vs6.jpg

Thinking of the display base I thought I'd jig it up and see what's what..........

This roughly what I'm thinking. Port sponson attached. Starboard detached.

P1040143%20Copy_zpsqghnifhy.jpg

View through the detached sponson

P1040144%20Copy_zpsbzd5i3ss.jpg

P1040145%20Copy_zps9plefxnp.jpg

and the port sponson door

P1040148%20Copy_zpsizpbzb6m.jpg

and of course the detached sponson interior is beautifully detailed.....

Happy with that, its going to be worth the effort on the interior. The roof will be fixed but there are hatches in that where you'll be able to catch a glimpse of the inside.

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 9

Excellent work! I like the work on the engine bay and how you've pinned it open. Clever!

On another note the beauty i suppose about the Mk.V is that it has so many hatches! So at least the majority of that brilliant work will be on show

• Like 1

Bits and pieces..........

on PMMS build blog there are a few points raised

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/meng/ts020.html

1. The bottom of the sponson doors should be open, empty shell cases disposal of.

P1040151%20Copy_zpsza6baio6.jpg

2. There should be a platform for the commander under his cupola

P1040152%20Copy_zpsqj7wduft.jpg

P1040154%20Copy_zpsqpbgkhhy.jpg

3. He feels that the 6 pounders supplied have toooo large a bore, hence after market reqd. I've measured the kit bore and it scales at 60mm shd be 57mm, close enough for government work. I would argue (gently) that perhaps the outside diameter of the barrel is under size. Either way I'll stick with the kit part.

Made some progress with the lid and I'm well happy that plenty of the internal detail will be visible with all the hatches open

P1040157%20Copy_zpsir2lpgj0.jpg

P1040161%20Copy_zpswsvnzlyj.jpg

P1040163%20Copy_zpswszsxoj5.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 10

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looking real nice looks much better than the old Emhar kit I did might have to indulge myself after the festive season  :whistle:

Beefy

There is a world of difference between them Keith. I am amazed at the detail Meng have included and considering that the price is very reasonable.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys...

Good to be able to lead others astray

56 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

I am amazed at the detail Meng have included and considering that the price is very reasonable.

I must admit I was nearly put off by the price. Glad I wasn't ! The detail inside is truly amazing and there in lies the caveat. To justify the cost / work the interior really needs to be displayed.

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

any chance of being able to remove one of them to take a look inside.

I've not attached the lids on the sponsons yet but the initial snug fit would lead me to think it's a good possibility. I will keep this in mind as the build develops. It might also be possible to detach the roof.

Kev

• Like 1