Meng Mk V Male Tank @ 1/35

longshanks

33 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Someday I'll try a Meng kit, see if they're as good as they say ... really good work so far ...:popcorn:, cheers mate

I haven't built one but I've been looking in a lot of Meng boxes and they look awesome which is the reason why I've started escaping from the Aircraft section when no-one is looking.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Well she is coming together nicely, 'and what great detail you are adding'.

I assume you will be leaving parts off, or at least able to remove so all that detail can be seen later.

(unlike me lol)

Great stuff Kev mate.

foxy B)

• Like 1

Well it's a while since I posted so I thought I'd better prove I've not fallen overboard.

I'll start with a lesson do not, I repeat DO NOT TRY TO DRILL OUT GUN BARRELS WITH A DREMMEL OR SIMILAR!!  You have been warned :fight:

The following pics are not pretty...........

P1040166%20Copy_zpscyzy1eja.jpg

P1040167%20Copy_zpsur8y5hvi.jpg

:badmood:

a bit of plastic padding, sanding, carving, turning in a drill etc (you get the picture)      et voila

P1040169%20Copy_zps8lpwnw8m.jpg

They are the same length, it's distorted by the camera.

and this is how it builds up, still some touching up to do
P1040170%20Copy_zpsxnfdtte2.jpg

Sides are now stuck to floor plan, I had been a bit nervous thinking it was going to be a 'mare but it went together quietly. A testament to Mengs skills not mine.

P1040171%20Copy_zpsgls4s0zd.jpg

P1040172%20Copy_zpsvmxnxwbm.jpg

P1040173%20Copy_zps7j7jhata.jpg

P1040174%20Copy_zpsgpwpvfpg.jpg

As you can see I've started making up the tracks and given them an undercoat.

Julian at this stage I would say there is every chance that the sponson can just be snugged home and they will stay put.

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 8

Oooohhh..........................You pulled this back from the edge of destruction Kev, beautifully saved :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

It's looking gorgeous but very clean, what will be your game plan, leave it as it is or get muddy....................

Glad to hear that the sponsons look as if they can be removed ;)

• Like 3

Cheers Guys

Julian I'm still thinking of having one sponson removed and on a stand. This limits my options for display. I also think there are enough mud lagged WWI tanks out there....

To answer your question worn in will be the look I'll be trying for.

10 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Love all the small detail you have done, brings out the mode

Richard you and I know that's where the fun lies  :winkgrin:

Kev

• Like 3

Go on then tell us you just did that to the gun to show the rest of us mere people how to do it properly :cyclops:

great work your doing on this build Kev getting very tempted to have this in the stash :popcorn:

Beefy

Hi Keith

The absolute reverse is true! There are some on here who seem to have this inflated idea as to my modelling skills.

I am relatively new to the world of plastic modelling and I'm lucky enough to have the support of some fantastic modellers here on BM. I can read a drawing and like to feel that I understand my subject.

The rest of it is sheer bl**dy mindlessness, my failed attempts are to numerous/boring to put up here and if anyone one to wants  ask or pm me for how I went about a piece  I will do my best to assist.

What does P*ss me off is those who have an exaggerated opinion of their mediocre skills and try to impose them on others and even worse those who have an opinion on everything and yet we never see their models,

Having stuck my head above the parapet I'm now going to find the deepest bunker

Kev

PS Don't put it in the stash BUILD it :winkgrin:

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, longshanks said:

What does P*ss me off is those who have an exaggerated opinion of their mediocre skills and try to impose them on others and even worse those who have an opinion on everything and yet we never see their models,

Having stuck my head above the parapet I'm now going to find the deepest bunker

Kev

Well said, no need to duck ;)

• Like 1

I've been away from this for a few days - great progress despite the attack of the heat inducing dremmels.

Am I the only one or does this remind anyone else of a Johnny Seven OMA ???  (one of my all time favorite Christmas toys) - I think it's the pistol grip hanging down there that does it

On 12/10/2016 at 0:59 PM, longshanks said:

P1040170%20Copy_zpsxnfdtte2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Am I the only one or does this remind anyone else of a Johnny Seven OMA ???  

Your entitled to your fantasies :winkgrin: but I've got to agree it does look slightly toy like.

Broken out in a rash of brass. There seems to be vision / pistol ports everywhere, it must have been like the Wild West inside...

P1040195%20Copy_zpsbyd1nt1l.jpg

I read somewhere think it was PMMS about packing the top of the shield to hold it steady. So I glued a semi circle of .35mm plastic to the lid.

P1040191%20Copy_zps2awdbbah.jpg

P1040194%20Copy_zpsmdrtmv7p.jpg

Top glued and sponson clipped in place. For anyone thinking they would like the sponsons removable it is possible the fit is that good.
P1040192%20Copy_zpsuu2niops.jpg

Then I had an itch which had to be scratched ......

The white floor area just seemed to bare

P1040201%20Copy_zps3b7nawot.jpg

so

P1040199%20Copy_zpspwong27y.jpg

a duck board seems probable in my mind

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 10

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:13, longshanks said:

There are some on here who seem to have this inflated idea as to my modelling skills.

I don't! :wicked: I turn my back and you produce something approaching the wonderfully averagely good. I must turn my back more often!

Martian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I must turn my back more often!

You ought to be careful, not quite the same as turning the other cheek.........

As you well know Martian " All modellers are created average but some are more average than others "

Listen to me I'm getting as bad as you......................

Thanks for the comments guys!

Kev

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

You ought to be careful, not quite the same as turning the other cheek.........

As you well know Martian " All modellers are created average but some are more average than others "

Listen to me I'm getting as bad as you......................

Thanks for the comments guys!

Kev

That is not an image I care to think about before tea time! :puke:

As for getting as bad as me; nobody gets as bad as me, especially since I decided to grow old as disgracefully as possible. I'm still in first gear on that front.

Martian, a cannon so loose he's rolled overboard.

• Like 2

Smashing work Kev. Nice save with the barrel and tracks look Fab.  Seeing all those bolts/rivets makes me smell the wash already.

Like the idea of leaving the sponson off and I agree about avoiding the mud fest!

Excellent work

Rob

• Like 1

Longshanks

What color(s) are you planning on painting the exterior?  I'm in the midst of the dratted interior on the Meng MKV Male and since I need more Tamiya Flat White I was thinking ahead about the outside color too.

I used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya Buff and Flat Earth on my Meng MK V Female and wasn't really impressed with the color, didn't come close to the box art even.

Lots of black and brown washes later and it turned out reasonable but I shudder every time I use another wash, just in case it ends up in the crapper.

I use Tamiya paint in jars and Tamiya X20 thinner as it's all that's available locally and after trashing a perfectly good 1/12 scale Cobra GT500 I'll never use another spray can.  

My Iwata HPC  brush may be old but it works and if you foul up Tamiya paint comes off with some Windex.

On another note I wonder how hard it would be to make the upper armour (roof) removable to display the interior without buggering up the exhaust and the un-ditching beam racks? 

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Lloyd

4 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

What color(s) are you planning on painting the exterior?

:worms:

The safest bet would be yellow with purple spots. That way you wont be accused of getting the shade wrong.

You mention matching the box art, I've looked at the Mk V Male box there are at least three different shades, which is right.

I've just looked at the pics of Mk V in Bovington Tank Museum and I can spot five shades depending on how the light is falling. Did they paint it the right colour?

Blah! Blah!................ you get the picture

I see Meng suggest Vallejo 70.876, there are comparison sights out there to find the Tamiya equivalent.

There have also been discussions on various forums

As to removable roof I don't think its feasible. I'm only just getting to this area of the build but it would seem the seam is not positive enough to hold it in position. I'd stick to removable sponson(s)

Kev

• Like 1

I've been sticking and painting but there doesn't seem to be a lot to show for it...........

Got two guns on my Rattling riveted rhomboid  (as someone on here likes to call it )

P1040210%20Copy_zps3aq2im7a.jpg

P1040213%20Copy_zpsh11lyalr.jpg

A large number of ugly aerials planted planted on the roof, didn't know they had 'Sky' in those days ...

P1040215%20Copy_zpsgrprxaym.jpg

P1040216%20Copy_zpsjk2fde8s.jpg

Pleased with the way the duck boards have turned out. I think the wood colouring looks effective. Very simple to do. I use Humbrol white, earth & grey. Mixed together to give a pale grey with a hint of brown, change the ratio slightly for the next plank. Grey wash over the top. If you like it try it :rolleyes:

P1040217%20Copy_zpseoo41ob5.jpg

Right gun loaded and pointed at foot

Stalingrad figure I shall be using hope to use...
P1040219%20Copy_zpspjb84zf1.jpg

P1040220%20Copy_zpsx0wkmdmd.jpg

P1040222%20Copy_zpscmhigong.jpg

and last but not least how about this for the exhaust run?

P1040223%20Copy_zpsfqekpllk.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 2