Meng Mk V Male Tank @ 1/35

longshanks

This is a change of direction/pace for me, I'm normally to be found in the Maritime section for my sins.

This will be my first armour build for a very, very long time

On to the model

I must admit to be gob smacked by the size of the box and contents

P1040007%20Copy_zpsu2sulqsy.jpg

P1040008%20Copy_zpsuoojsrng.jpg

Hoping to produce something like this

1445580314786_zpsyre96lwh.jpg

With this Stalingrad figure perched on the top for a sense of scale
601440-16766-77-pristine_zpscuk4ac9z.jpg

601440-16766-77-pristine_zpscuk4ac9z.jpg

Mike has already done a review out of the box so I wont go into details

Looking forward to this, all comments welcome

Cheers Kev

Edited by longshanks
Removing stutter :)
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I saw you'd looked at the review this morning ;) 

It's bad men like you that lead innocents like me astray :thumbsup:

I think I've found a problem with this kit already.............

I'm getting addicted

As  you would expect no flash and only some fine seam lines to clean up.

I'm amazed at the detail and finesse of the parts. Had to post pics of the engine so far

P1040009%20Copy_zpszfl43ncj.jpg

P1040010%20Copy_zpstfeg6pig.jpg

P1040011%20Copy_zpshl6hvgw4.jpg

P1040012%20Copy_zpsibesciec.jpg

P1040013%20Copy_zpslcpwhvqg.jpg

Fit of the parts is excellent to the point I'm hoping to paint different parts of the engine and fame in different blacks and then bring it together

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, longshanks said:

It's bad men like you that lead innocents like me astray :thumbsup:

That's what makes it all worthwhile ^_^

The fit is exemplary, isn't it? :clap2:

• Like 1

Nice subject and great kit of it selected. I ususally build planes and some Sci-Fi but the Mark V is something I have been always interested to build. I got myself the female version fom Meng earlier this year only to find out it lacks the interiao so I sold it one. Will follow with interest.

Rene

• Like 1

Pheew! A big sigh of relief...............

Contrary to the instructions I wanted to keep the engine, chassis & floor separate to make painting simpler.

The parts have had a basic coat applied Vallejo Red Leather for the floor, Vallejo Grey Black for engine block and Vallejo Black for the chassis.

Chassis assembled (fiddly) and inserted into floor

P1040030%20Copy_zpssgbgfwxb.jpg

Engine in place, the first pic was taken with a daylight light and gives a good idea of the contrast between the two blacks

P1040018%20Copy_zpsr1wrzc3w.jpg

P1040023%20Copy_zpsmbacm2n2.jpg

P1040026%20Copy_zpspvvvwh1z.jpg

P1040027%20Copy_zpsjn9jyqas.jpg

Happy Days. I can now separate the three elements and continue with the painting & weathering..........

Thanks for stopping by

Kev

• Like 12

Looking great!

We are just a little ahead of you and so can offer a couple of tips about some parts with not so ideal fits. Most are fantastic, but we found that part F8, which is assembled in step 11 you have to cut the assembly pips off mating part F3 as the corresponding holes are too far back.

Step 12 installs the two chain wheel assemblies, they actually go into slots in the side mount before going on to the end of the engine. Study it and you will see what I mean

Another is part E32 in step 14 - what it doesn't show is that the lower part actually slips over the end of one of the rods on part G5 where it meets E6. I had glued this when assembling E6 and so had to cut it, plus I also hade to drill out the bore of part E32 to make it fit there, plus drill out the corresponding hole in the engine compartment part

On step 16 Part G24, the drivers seat mounting, is a bit of a faf to get into place, as there are various rods that go into the sides of it plus F28 has to engage in a mating part that is under the seat mount. Take it slow with this bit

On step 17, I had to again drill out the mounting hole for part E4, and take care fitting part F15, there are rods that have to go into holes in the back of it, at the same time you are having to juggle the rest

On one build I saw online, the engine compartment to clutch part fit wasn't great - I had no such problems, it is just that the compartment part has to be pushed quite firmly over it to spread it, then it clicks over into place.

The kit is generally fantastic apart from that so far, although the ejector pit 'posts' deserve a mention; I have never seen ejector pin marks like it, it's almost like the pins that make them are failing and they leave some very big posts in some very awkward places. My Mineshima cutters thankfully are small and sharp enough for most but there are a couple that were really tricky to deal with . Luckily they are not where they will be seen.

The other point is the sheer amount of detail that will be hidden once you assemble it. If you do a straight build reckon over 50% will never be seen again. This kit cries out for a maintenance or assembly diorama to make the most of it!

Anyway, hope this helps and happy building

Les

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Les.

I'm not used to kits and I thought it was me as to how fiddly some of the parts are to get together. Plus because I'm trying to keep the engine, chassis and deck separate until I've finished painting / weathering. The control rods have a mind of their own but I guess that's the price for the incredible detail in this kit.

I've been busy prep and base coating parts.

I have also be playing with feasibility of spark plugs and leads.

P1040088%20Copy_zpsqbi10tcn.jpg

Needs tidying up but works for me as proof of concept. Engine block needs to be completely finished before fitting plugs/leads.

Thanks for looking

Kev

• Like 8

Glad to see this build going on.  I couldn't resist this kit when I saw it.  i'm not that much into armour but I'm really hooked on the idea of "detail", and I almost started to gibber and whimper when I studied this kit.  The box has been sitting on the top of a bookcase ever since and I swear it's batting its eyelashes at me but I've been too intimidated to get stuck in.

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:20 AM, Ripaman said:

Nice start on this one Kev.

Thanks Richard :thumbsup2:

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You simply have to find a way of showing this interior detail when the build is finished!

Totally agree, there are a number of options. It seems that any hatch that can open you have the option of displaying it open.

The standard seems to be displaying one/both sponsons detached. Other options may appear as the build develops.

4 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

i'm not that much into armour but I'm really hooked on the idea of "detail", and I almost started to gibber and whimper when I studied this kit. 

It hit me the same...........

4 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

I've been too intimidated to get stuck in.

So far the kit has gone together well, there are place where you need to sit back and have a dry run. When that fails you have all the help available on Britmodeller plus I'm only up the road from you :winkgrin:

Kev

Managed to get some more modelling time in...........

Decided to go with the spark plugs, 0.2 leads with 0.5mm plugs. If anyone wants some plugs there are plenty scattered over my workshop lol. Threading the wire is not the easiest of jobs when you have an involuntary tremor in one hand :banghead: 

P1040091%20Copy_zpsd50ivhvi.jpg

I think it was worth the effort

P1040095%20Copy_zpssjuv2ogd.jpg

Thought the exhaust could do with some asbestos rope lagging

P1040093%20Copy_zpsx88eb7c8.jpg

and all together

P1040096%20Copy_zpspyixitl8.jpg

Engine has received several light washes and application of graphite.

Chassis and floor both of which have received a light weathering

P1040097%20Copy_zpsjnn86rbs.jpg

I'm thinking these can all be fixed together now

P1040098%20Copy_zpsvy7fnrrd.jpg

P1040099%20Copy_zpsnroqmcik.jpg

onto the next stage

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 11