Italeri - FIAT 806 Grand prix - 1:12

Andy,i know we can all read books and follow step by step instructions,but i for one, and i dont think I'm alone here, would very much appreciate a little insight into your weathering brain,i want to know what you can improve upon from what looks completely finished to me ,and is fantastic  by the way,and when you call it done ,i can understand if  you want to maybe  keep an aura of mystery about your techniques,but im up for a tutorial of your work ..cheers 

Glynn

• Like 3

Glynn ................ I've been and made coffee, sat in front of the screen, even phoned a friend ................. but no matter how I try to serialise this, there is simply no way of identifying a prescriptive technique as to how I go about weathering a model ... HONESTLY.

The simplest and most lucid way of going about this is to do what it is I'm doing anyway ................ by posting photo's of the effects.

They are in my defence, a way of working within my hobby, as to what I do professionally. In fact, the two are so interminably intertwined it's almost impossible to find the end of one and the beginning of the other. Something that I went to great lengths to explain on the previous gangshow thread. I ad-nauseam re-iterated the elaborate back-story concocted to enable the build as to how I wanted to produce it - coupled with improving the kit along the way ....................................... and we pretty much know how that ended.

Glynn ............. in a previous life, I studied, taught, pontificated and generally espoused on the subjects of "Fine Art, Psychology and Philosophy" these are areas I've brought to bear on my model making and how I achieve these things are always secondary to what it is these things say. Ergo I use whatever paint or medium that comes to hand, I will use spit, snot, or nose oil if it suits my aim or purpose - my mediums tend to be Fine art based as that's what I have to hand. I don't use modelling mediums or special finishes, I don't understand definitions like pin wash, or modulate, but rather glaze or chroma or hue so rendering in those terms would serve to confuse us both no doubt.

It is not about maintaining some kind of mystery or protecting some mythical process. It is simply about the fact that the way I work is esoteric and personal. If I was to try and recount these processes legibly I fear you would give up in frustration, or lose your way within a very short space of time - it's not hard or special but rather meandering and lackadaisical.

Witness this .................................

Work1opt_zpsj6c34id5.jpgWork_zpsypfbxn7j.jpgBell-opt_zps2120f362.jpg

These aren't fantastic images but rather snatches that were taken from a student's camera video of me demonstrating techniques - can you see the similarities with my modelling finishes - it would take fifty years and a lot of lectures to even begin to establish how I do what I do?? I'm not being evasive or aloof (I have always tried to avoid anything similar) but what I do is now so instinctive and so visceral it almost defies breaking down into a recognisable modelling tenet.

I hope you don't think bad of me for explaining it thus - it simply is what it is and although I try to keep my hobby separate from my work, at its core the two are linked symbiotically.

Oh, and don't go searching around in my head ................... "there be dragons"!           :huh:

• Like 7

Andi,

I think you have done a great job of answering Glynn's question/plea. 

As I know you reasonably well and have watched you at work, I can see the relationship between the weathering on the FIAT and the artwork you produce. It is worth noting that the key here is your access to a much wider range of colours and fine art mediums than the average modeller. Also, there is a certain 'sight' that some people have in as much as the ability to see a finished product in the mind's eye and processing the work piece until it matches that vision. Be this on paper or in 3D model form, the special skill is honed over many years.

In any case, I can testify to your willingness to share knowledge and skills, where practicable, specifically around the help you gave me (and Banny) on lacing the wheels. 

Don't feel bad about not providing more detail on your weathering techniques, I've seen you work and understand there is no process that you could write in a book, it just sort of 'appears' !!

I will keep studying the pics you post and hope to become even a fraction as good :unsure:

All the best, Steve.

• Like 4

The way Andi describes his weathering methods reminds me of what I read in Michael Rinaldi's great book TankArt. Rinaldi, one of the best modelers I know, there describes his workflow as such, that there isn't one really. He primes, then paints, then applies his first piece of weathering. He takes a look at it and lets his 'gut feeling' decide what to do next. After that bit of weathering is done he goes on, constantly climbing the mountain of realism. Mr Rinaldi also mentions that he often takes a few steps back, redoing or emphasizing (and sometimes undoing) effects he did before.

I'm convinced it is that multi-layered art of weathering that really brings forward the vintagized patina and the fullness in coloring. So even if Andi were to describe his methods in detail (if he could and if he had the patience and time) then there'd probably always going to be the constant correcting and deviating that is even more difficult to explain. I imagine there would be more exceptions than rules. This is why the master painters of the 17th century for example had so many pupils who were in their studio all the time, studying their master at work and having him 'correct' them when they are performing their own attempts. 

• Like 2

Andi

I'm lost for words (and that's a first!). I'll finish my current mini-build (Belkit Skoda) and get back to the 806. This is inspiration to the nth degree!

Keep it up Bloke.

John:worthy:

• 2 weeks later...

A few shots of the interior, not at all prototypical but that ships long sailed. I'm also kind of letting things go a bit now as I want it done - not in a bums rush way but it's had its bench time and more .................

806-74_zpsi5mxzotm.jpg

806-73_zpsyyo8hm5f.jpg

806-72_zps2wcr2gtm.jpg

806-71_zpshaxgsveo.jpg

806-75_zpszpllvgpr.jpg

Merciless close-ups as ever, better by eye of course. Seat is just carved out of balsa then covered with some heavily "crunched up" paper from a box of after eights, this gives you the strongly creased look of very old leather - if you want brown just use the wrappers from the mints.

Ask if you feel the need.

Cheers all.........................

• Like 5

Andi

I just love those dials! I think your seat is just the job - it's given me a better solution for mine (configuration not material). Makes my day when I see a post from you.

Banny

• Like 1

Seat and dash look really smart, glad you could put the dial stickers to good use. They look super in the dial bodies you have scratched up.

I'm afraid to say I'll be totally copying your seat but, I will make mine a different colour, lol

Excellent work as always Andi.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, and everyone of course who has been kind enough to comment so positively. Obviously, if anyone spots anything amongst the pic's that you might choose to have a go at? - Please, be my guest ... I've "borrowed" enough ideas in my time so it's only like paying it forward.

• 1 month later...

Truly a work of art, models rarely capture the subtle emotional tones of the original subject, I think that you are showing absolute mastery in this, as much a story teller as a modeller, you have my utmost respect !

• Like 1

Fantastic work Andi, and only on to page three and so much to see and digest for us modellers,thanks for the insight on how you do things.

Even the picture you posted of the artwork, the first one, I thought you had placed a molded piece onto the artwork such was the 3d effect.

Keep posting the photos, I could look at them for ages and get inspiration to try it on one of my attempts

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

'Morning Everyone and hope Bank Holiday Monday is going well.

This might be 'old news'/ redundant info/ of no interest, but I stumbled across some interesting background information (for me anyway) on the 806. There's not an awful lot but have a look:

www.bigscalemodels.com/cars/fiat806

Banny

• 2 months later...

Hope everyone is in fine feckle. My child minding duties have prevented me from doing any meaningful bench work. So I was initially confused to see the new web site style/format, and not a little disappointed. Has the build stopped? And is there an alternative to photo bucket?

I have had a thought that maybe I'm missing a trick here - the last post I can see is dated 10 Nov last year at the bottom of page 3 - is there more perchance?

• 1 month later...