The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

• 2 weeks later...

I have decide on aircraft 12409 "old maid" one of the Hawian Air Depot camoflaged aircraft based at Guadalcanal, but I need to source a Bendix remote operated ball turret to replace the Sperry ball turret. Does any one have a spare Bendix type avalible or know of a suitable donor kit I can source?

• Like 1

Good to see PTO Fortresses too! Does the recent Airfix B-25 C/D kit have the turret you´re looking for? Would converting such a Mitchell kit to a Doolittle Raider result in an surplus ventral turret? I know nothing of these things but am good at guessing 😁. V-P

25 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Too many B-17s and schemes and not enough kits!

Exactly my thoughts... until @DaveyGair mentioned in his RAAF Mustang IV build that the CVoP code was *almost* my personalised squadron code. I did a quick search and voilá... End of problem :yahoo:.

I edited the participant list in the opening post, there are now 36 of us, which is an excellent number for a STGB of a plane this big.  See you soon... V-P

EDIT: I made a quick count of what we´ve planned to build: (At least) one Monogram kit in 1:48; in 1:72 7 Academys and 7 Revells, 6 Airfix, 2 Matchbox and 1 Frog (!) :bounce:

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Check this out? V-P

Nice scheme.  A word of warning though.  Buy it for the resin parts and source the decals from general sheets.  I have never had a good experience with Kora decals. :(

• Sad 1

On 11/09/2018 at 14:03, vppelt68 said:

B17STGB

I made a banner! Thanks to @DaveyGair for a great idea - guess which B-17 I will try to build? Cheers, Veli-Pekka Pelttari :coolio:

Awesome, another Ridgewell B-17 from the 381st BG  .. I will be building B-17 #43-37675 , known variously as Trudie's Terror , Patches , Flak Magnet , Patches N’ Prayers from my research she was repaired / rebuilt a couple of times always ending up with all the latest upgrades! 

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/11680 

Ridgewell was another base in Essex my grandparents visited many times as part of an ENSA group

• Like 2

I found a solution to help me wait for the start; I will use my old Italeri Ju 188 fuselage as a paint mule to test various olive drab, medium gray, red tailplane and rudder surface paint cans - just to be sure they work when the B-17 build begins! V-P

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Awesome, another Ridgewell B-17 from the 381st BG  .. I will be building B-17 #43-37675 , known variously as Trudie's Terror , Patches , Flak Magnet , Patches N’ Prayers from my research she was repaired / rebuilt a couple of times always ending up with all the latest upgrades! 

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/11680 

Ridgewell was another base in Essex my grandparents visited many times as part of an ENSA group

We'll give all those Bassingbourne boys a beating! V-P

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2018 at 7:05 AM, neil5208 said:

I have decide on aircraft 12409 "old maid" one of the Hawian Air Depot camoflaged aircraft based at Guadalcanal, but I need to source a Bendix remote operated ball turret to replace the Sperry ball turret. Does any one have a spare Bendix type avalible or know of a suitable donor kit I can source?

Been looking at this myself for future use. THIS THREAD suggests the B-25 as a source. Have you seen THIS ONE as well?

• Like 2

I'm going with "Thunderbird" B-17G only because I've not made an Academy kit and fancied an olive drab B-17. I'm using the decals from this boxing: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/107306-academy-12414-b-17g-flying-fortress

For the kit I'm using this older Academy kit. I think I got it from another britmodeller but to be honest I have quite a few B-17s in the stash :) So I think I'm all set!

b17%20(3).jpg

• Like 4

On 3/15/2017 at 8:27 AM, Sabre_days said:

Another possibility, from the Iliad Design "Stars in the Sky" sheet, is "Yankee Doodle" of the 384th BS, 5th BG in the Pacific, flown by 2Lt Gene Roddenberry.

Ohh that sounds interesting.

I'm forming a back-up plan as it seems the PB-1W decals won't be out until well after this GB is over....unfortunately. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the Airfix Group Build winding down this evening I find myself suffering GB withdrawal symptoms. The only known cure is to get involved in another GB!

Count me in please!

I'll be taking a slightly different tack with my build.

I have a 1940's Testors paint set in my collection. I've always wanted a B17 finished like the box top one. All kinds of wrong, but at the same time, just begging to be done.

Here's the set in all its wartime glory...

testors-camo-6.jpg

testrs-camo-5.jpg

I'm not sure yet what unsuspecting kit is going to get the fright of its life for the build, I have a Lindberg 1.64 scale kit that is missing its decals that is a contender. I'll have a dig around in the loft and report back.

Tony.

• Like 3