The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

In a month it'll be three years since the beginning of the B-17 single type group build. What do you distinguished gentlemen think, would it be appropriate to try and get a second one? I thought I'd round out the previously convicted, usual suspects first before going public with this one. So how about it,

@PhantomBigStu @Ol' Scrapiron @Thom216 @DaveyGair @Pin @Mjwomack @TonyW @JOCKNEY (why not get a Frog kit this time, Pat?) @RJ-WobblyHands @MarkSH @modelling minion @Graham77 @Jabba @Romeo Alpha Yankee @neil5208 @DJJunis @Touvdal @theplasticsurgeon @pizzapaolo @tomprobert @JWM @Canso65 @mungo1974 @Arniec @Rabbit Leader ?

That'd make 25 + me. A most appropriate calendar slot would begin from Saturday, October 14 2023 - marking exactly 80 years since the notorious second Schweinfurt mission - to January 14 2024. V-P

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JWM said:

What about B 24 this time? 

J-W

The Lib would indeed deserve another shot, but in my opinion it suffers from lousy availability of both 1:72 and 1:48 scale kits. But as is often the case when speaking of these two bombers, it doesn't need to be Fort "or" Lib. With Col. currently proposing the bomber/attack GB, and in the Night and Day GB, there would be slots to build B-24:s too. V-P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

The Lib would indeed deserve another shot, but in my opinion it suffers from lousy availability of both 1:72 and 1:48 scale kits. But as is often the case when speaking of these two bombers, it doesn't need to be Fort "or" Lib. With Col. currently proposing the bomber/attack GB, and in the Night and Day GB, there would be slots to build B-24:s too. V-P

I have five B24 family kits (two Academy, two Italeri and Revell Privater)  in stash for well more than 10 years now having none of them on shelves, so apparently I need some kick to do them as a series perhaps (I am thinking on conversion to C87 and Lib Mk I) . Maybe I will do next B17 in a future, the F for example, but I do not have it in stash and to be frank I still have hope that Airfix will follow their  B17G with F in close years...  Like they did now with Wellington and few years ago with Lancaster. We will see... Therefore I am not buying the Revell one. So I am so sorry, currently please do not count me "in", not now ...  But I will watch with interest :)

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

@vppelt68, you should be ashamed of yourself, you know fine well most of us won't be able to say no, even if we have nowhere to put it when it's finished  !

I'll need to have a look in the stash, I believe I have a Hasegawa "Bit of Lace" but don't ( I'm saying this very quietly....  ) have the Frog B-17 :surprised:

Might be nice to add "Memphis Belle" to the collection, so possible swap for a Frog B-17 and decals in exchange for the posh Hasegawa version. 

Err I assume the Frog version is correct for Memphis Belle ?

Cheers Pat 

I’d be keen - but with mentions of B-24s as well how about an 8th Air Force group build? Off the top of my head, that would give us:

B-17

B-24

P-51

P-47

P-38

L-4

Mosquito

PR Spitfires…

Thoughts..?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

@vppelt68

... but don't ( I'm saying this very quietly....  ) have the Frog B-17 :surprised:

...Err I assume the Frog version is correct for Memphis Belle ?

Cheers Pat 

Glad you liked the idea :whistle:

Very few actually have the Frog B-17 - I'm still kicking myself for not buying the one that was available for ages at Kingkit - only £25 :angry:

Frog Fortress kit was actually an E model. Although the Memphis Belle *still is* an early F model you would need to modify the kit's cheek windows etc. to convert it. For the Belle I'd go for the latest Revell or Hasegawa oldie but goldie F model kit.

V-P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I’d be keen - but with mentions of B-24s as well how about an 8th Air Force group build? Off the top of my head, that would give us:

B-17

B-24

P-51

P-47

P-38

L-4

Mosquito

PR Spitfires…

Thoughts..?

Sounds familiar - read on :giggle:

• Like 1

That is a hard YES for me... I'll build three if it helps bring the project count over the threshold (more if needed!)

This may help support my answer...

spacer.png

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, tomprobert said:

B-17

B-24

P-51

P-47

P-38

L-4

Mosquito

PR Spitfires…

Thoughts..?

I lost motivation in the Mediterranean build simply because it strayed from the "Single Topic" part of the group build. It was nice seeing a diverse variety armor and cars and ships and planes -- but nothing like the amount of combined research and learning progress when everyone was building essentially the same subject! I learned more about Lancasters in a couple months by watching other solutions to Lanc challenges than I could have hoped. The previous B-17 GB was also amazing that there were such creative techniques that actually applied to each other's projects. 

My vote would be to keep it "Single Topic" ... maybe make them a little shorter ... and string them one after the other. If you absolutely need to be wider spread, do something like an 8thAF GB parts A, B and C. Go for these clumps: 8thAF heavies (B-17/B-24) followed by 8thAF single seat fighters (Mustang/Thunderbolt/Lightning,etc.) followed by 8th AF Mediums (A-20/B-26/B-25, etc.)

2 months each, 6 months total, everyone working on similar projects and sharing ideas/advice... Could let the groups overlap a bit since the heavies might warrant more time so  the "Little Friends" builds start before the Heavy's deadline.

Just my take on what has been so nice about taking part in the STGBs.

-------------------------

Edit: with some more thought, I like the "clump" idea best as the B-17s and B-24 projects would have a lot in common, as would fighters and mediums... Instead of STGB "Single Topic Group Build" go for a DCRGB "Damn Closely Related Group Build"

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Haha 1

I would be interested. Although my finishing state in a gb is terrible. But I still have two in my stash. Both the G version. One in 1/72 and the other in 1/48. 

Cheers, 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Haha, you're already here!

Thanks, I didn't realise! I was looking on my phone, without my glasses, and nothing is clear under these circumstances...

• Haha 1