The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

19 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Seeing the deadline extension (thanks!) I may have been too hasty in calling it quits on my build. Horrible weather out so I’m going to see if I can cobble it together in time but the WIP will not be exhaustive so as to save valuable build time  

Go for it, any which way you can reach the deadline, go for it! Snap some pictures along the way, and do your Build thread when you're finished and you have secured the *done* pics in the Gallery. V-P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LostCosmonauts said:

I’m going to see if I can cobble it together in time

Hey, these guys could finish the real thing and have it ready in the morning...

70dd0becca51c749b9d63dfb5c4d2a5d--nose-a

Why does it take us so long to do something that is 48 or 72 times smaller and doesn't have to operate for 7 hours at 30,000 feet?

• Like 1

:hmmm:maybe we lack the motivation they had... They felt responsibility, pride and comradeship for supplying their flying colleagues with kites they could count bringing them safely back, should Reichsverteidigung allow for it. I'm sure the mechanics shared our misery caused by bad fitting parts and need to scratch build now and then, but they still succeeded!

Since were in the Chat section now, I use the opportunity to share one experience of mine. You see, I hadn't even heard of the "Serenade for the Big Bird", by Bert Stiles, before last sunday. Now I've read it, and am speechless because of it. All I can say, if YOU haven't read it already, don't waste anymore time but read it. It's the most fascinating, devastating and pacifistic aviation book I believe I'll ever read.

And I promise I will build a model of one Fort Lt. Stiles flew as a co-pilot, soon, after my 381st BG quartet is first finished. It'd be just logical to go for another 1st CBW BG squadrons next... V-P

• Like 2

Wow... Amazon shows at least 9 different versions of that book on sale (including an illustrated version that isn't available). Getting one based on V-P's recommendation -- just trying to choose which one to buy

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_25?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=serenade+to+the+big+bird&sprefix=Serenade+for+the+Big+Bird%2Caps%2C630&crid=3DG1IA2Y31DMJ

51cxoL4dZ7L._AC_US218_.jpg

-

51eehgrqOGL._AC_US218_.jpg

-

41yGwzn1xEL._AC_US218_.jpg

-

51kNESI9LHL._AC_US218_.jpg

-

51gEFLNs8oL._AC_US218_.jpg

-

51tiI80Zu4L._AC_US218_.jpg

-

51te8ZzP3GL._AC_US218_.jpg

-

41VojlQVAtL._AC_US218_.jpg

-

51NyI1KDYOL._AC_US218_.jpg

It looks like there are multiple kindle versions available on that list as well.

Wait... I better check my own library. A couple of those covers look familiar.

35 minutes ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Hey, these guys could finish the real thing and have it ready in the morning...

70dd0becca51c749b9d63dfb5c4d2a5d--nose-a

Why does it take us so long to do something that is 48 or 72 times smaller and doesn't have to operate for 7 hours at 30,000 feet?

Ah, but as soon as they did anything it was 100% authentic and their weathering just happened by itself

• Haha 2

Is this what they call a shake-the-box-kit?

2019-02-01_05-23-26

Couldn't help myself but had to pick another one to come home with me from the LHS. The Academy kit has taken more than two weeks to get here :hmmm: so I had to act :shrug: even showed this to SWMBO already :coolio:. V-P

• Like 1

On 29/01/2019 at 18:10, vppelt68 said:

Go for it, any which way you can reach the deadline, go for it! Snap some pictures along the way, and do your Build thread when you're finished and you have secured the *done* pics in the Gallery. V-P

Yes we know !

:waiting: :frantic:

:waiting: :bristow:

:waiting: :poo:

:waiting:  :phew: :goodjob:

I'm aiming for the last one, and worrying about the other 3 !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

Pat, you never seize to amaze me with those emoticons!

The GB looks good in view of last moment finishers - me being one of them, of course. Betty Lou is only lacking her wheels and some stenciling, so should be done by tomorrow evening. Let's keep this pace up! V-P

• Like 1

I’m sorry to say that Lassie and her Lads has not been finished in time for the close of play. I’ve been away from home the last week or so and no modelling has been possible.

Here’s how close I came to glory though…

IMG-6806.jpg

Tail gunners station glazing, prop decals and a gun barrel or two would have got the job done. So near, yet so far. The planned base is also incomplete. I’ll add finished pictures to the build thread or recent completions as soon as I can.

Thanks are due to the organisers for running a first class GB.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself both building my contributions and following the builds of the other participants.

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I’m sorry to say that Lassie and her Lads has not been finished in time for the close of play. I’ve been away from home the last week or so and no modelling has been possible.

Here’s how close I came to glory though…

IMG-6806.jpg

Tail gunners station glazing, prop decals and a gun barrel or two would have got the job done. So near, yet so far. The planned base is also incomplete. I’ll add finished pictures to the build thread or recent completions as soon as I can.

Thanks are due to the organisers for running a first class GB.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself both building my contributions and following the builds of the other participants.

Tony.

Sorry to hear that Tony

Please finish her in the build thread so we can enjoy seeing her completed. Your retro Build aka wooden wonder is the business :thumbsup:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2019 at 17:31, vppelt68 said:

Pat, you never seize to amaze me with those emoticons!

The GB looks good in view of last moment finishers - me being one of them, of course. Betty Lou is only lacking her wheels and some stenciling, so should be done by tomorrow evening. Let's keep this pace up! V-P

Good evening everyone @vppelt68 has organised drinks and snacks at his house after the Gallery closes tonight.

I think this is really generous and so can I ask everyone to make the effort to drop in so all his hard work won't be wasted :cheers::thumbsup:

And to those of you still racing to get finished, stop reading this and get on with it, I'll save a chair for you at V-P's house near the fireplace.

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

I’m sorry to say that Lassie and her Lads has not been finished in time for the close of play

Put Lassie in the Gallery anyway... looks done to my eye.

Call it "Phase 1 complete" and work on "Phase 2" at your own pace.

• Like 3

We have reached the finish line number one, as the Group Build Gallery thread in now locked for new entries. The build threads on the other hand will stay open "forever".

I think this one was a success! We seemed to have good time while doing all this, and who can say that he/she didn´t learn more about the subject, the B-17, along the way? This GB section with its reference thread (thanks tomprobert) and some build threads, by Ol´ Scrapiron2 especially, contain such a package of Fortress modelling information that this shall be a place to come back for future reference :thumbsup:.

EDIT: With powers given to me by myself and after a two person referendum with Lost Cosmonauts, TonyW:s beautiful B-17G "Lassie and her Lads" was added to the gallery of finished builds. I´m sure no-one objects that :coolio:. So, the statistics below have also been updated.

For a STGB of a LARGE four engine aircraft, we did fine! There are 80 radial engines on display in the Gallery - eat this, FW 190 or P-47 STGB:s, just 22 radials each! We got 29 started build threads and 20 reached the gallery, with a few just some millimet... thous short of finishing too. So what did we finish?

• Regarding scale, no-one went for those pricey 1:32 scale giants; so it was 19-1 for 1:72 vs 1:48.
  • There was more variety in subtypes, where the RAF versions have been included in the closest USAAF equivalent: C-75 1, C 2, E 3, F 2, G 11 and SB-17 1. Okay, more than half of them were G:s or Fortress III:s, but the rest were well split.
  • Manufacturers, then: Hasegawa 1 (G), Maquette 1 (C-75), Monogram 1 (G), Academy 5, Airfix 5 and Revell 6. Revell kits were tied 3-3 between the F and the G. Airfix had 4 new tool and 1 old tool G. Academy had 2 C, 1 E, 1 G and 1 SB. Italeri C was included in the Academy figures, as it is their plastic.
  • USAAF vs RAF 14-6
  • Nobody did The Belle!

So let´s all go voting now - though the decision will not be easy! V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like my excuses were better than Jakes...

Thanks for letting me sneak under the wire, a much better ending than a hail of bullets! 

I've also cast my vote in the Poll. It was pretty much impossible to pick a clear winner, the standards were so high. Well done everyone.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

Hey, since I didn't have any model needs tonight and I wasn't in the mood to actually "work" I decided to throw together this little chart of the B-17 hi-vis markings and thought this particular group would enjoy it. I have long been fascinated by the way the made the markings such that each of the 8th AF's Combat Wings could easily be identified. We've seen how the 1stCW used the red tails in a few builds in this STGB. Note how each CW has a motif (stripes, diagonal slashes, oversized triangles, rudders, etc.) that they stick to so a disoriented crew could know if they had strayed too far from their spot in the formation.

Hopefully, this will show up clear enough to appreciate. I built it such that I can make a wall poster out of it, but everything gets reduced to go online.

Combat-Wing-ID-chart-watermarked-LR.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I must agree with you Steve! I live in a time zone two hours ahead of the majority here, so there was often activity after I had already gone to bed, that "was there to greet me in the morning".  Should we start new B-17 builds and start their WIP threads here, it's perfectly legal :hmmm:V-P

• Like 1

I will... in fact, there were a few little details that technically still needed to be done to Ol' Scrapiron but I halted work on her because, well, she had been declared "done".

I may still do that last little bit and post here for any stragglers that still check in -- you know, for nostalgia's sake. 😥

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A belated finished build, Airfix B-17G as the Warbird Texas Raiders, painted with Xtracrylix OD/NG (Revell and lifecolor for faded control surfaces) and Vallejo Insignia Red, finished with Winsor and Newton Matt. Decals by kitsworld 

47690167231_9bc55005d3_b.jpg32746956967_a447935d7a_b.jpg32746957017_d5431db3c2_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1