The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

Afraid I'm not going to get mine done and over the line - started it and cracked on with the interior but facing a combo of real life and lack of polystyrene mojo. Looking through the threads it looks like everyone else is doing splendid work and the final gallery will be a great collection. Well done all

• Sad 1

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to ask a little advice. I won't be able to enter my model for the Group Build now. Nevertheless, I will build it one day and share the build in a WIP.

It's an old FROG kit.
I have bought a few accessory sets to improve it. The last thing that I am unhappy with: The wheels.
It's a B17E.
Could anyone recommend a nice set of aftermarket wheels for one of the first UK based B17E's in 1/72?
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which would be the right or best ones to buy for it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards

TonyT

Glad to hear/read from you, Tony! I'm reminding you there'll be the Frog Squad GB later this year. It'd be nice to have a Fortress built there too :yahoo:. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone will. Best regards, V-P

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to ask a little advice. I won't be able to enter my model for the Group Build now. Nevertheless, I will build it one day and share the build in a WIP.

It's an old FROG kit.
I have bought a few accessory sets to improve it. The last thing that I am unhappy with: The wheels.
It's a B17E.
Could anyone recommend a nice set of aftermarket wheels for one of the first UK based B17E's in 1/72?
I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which would be the right or best ones to buy for it.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards

TonyT

Nice to see you back Tony, True Details did a set for B-17E - G models

There is a set available in the USA on eBay , it looks like price and postage are reasonable

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

the warbird Texas raiders has unshrouded exhausts?

You should use the link that VPP mentioned, but here are some of my pics of B-17G 44-83872 Texas Raiders from my personal archives that also might be of some help.

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4049.jpg

-

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4040.jpg

One of the only b-17s at the 2010 Detroit show that I didn't get interior shots... and I'm not sure why I didn't go through her. Possibly an air show interruption or maybe I skipped it and mistook it for Thunderbird when I came back to the lineup.

Did get some nice pics of her flying.

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4212.jpg

-

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4214.jpg

and a few details you might want to incorporate

Movie "mission" marks on chin gun

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4041.jpg

When she is displayed for visitors they fly the US flag and Texas flag

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4045.jpg

Not sure what else might help, but there are more pics on my Texas Raiders page 

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 2

Grand news fellow Fortress builders! Quoting our beloved Group Build leader Enzo Matrix:

"I think this one is worthy of an extension.  I've taken your comments about the size of the aircraft on board and I think I can offer a two week extension, so the GB will now end on 3 Feb."

I have no doubt many of us would have pushed our builds successfully ready by our original end date, but many of us will use the given extension wisely. I hope I will 🤭. Best regards, V-P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, vppelt68 said:

Grand news fellow Fortress builders! Quoting our beloved Group Build leader Enzo Matrix:

"I think this one is worthy of an extension.  I've taken your comments about the size of the aircraft on board and I think I can offer a two week extension, so the GB will now end on 3 Feb."

I have no doubt many of us would have pushed our builds successfully ready by our original end date, but many of us will use the given extension wisely. I hope I will 🤭. Best regards, V-P

Well done V-P

Do you know I've been thinking :idea: that Enzo's not such a bad bloke after all ! ;)

So now we have gone from this :waiting: to this  :thumbsup:

Great news !

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Pat, I envy your variety of emoticons :rofl2:. Let's not tell Enzo his "real me" has been uncovered, as he still has the weapons of retaliation in his hands! V-P

Good point V-P, we will just keep that to ourselves !

cheers Pat

Stash status update: As the Revell B-17G is finished (I liked the kit very much) and the Airfix B-17G kit is nearing completion, it was time to get another B-17G kit ready for the future projects. Which one of them? Neither - an Academy kit! Though she is a 15th AF Special Edition, curiously the fifth decal option is for a 535th BS 381st BG B-17G-45-BO 42-97265 MS-P "Hell´s Angel" from Ridgewell, England - nothing to do with the 15th AF, but The Reason I wanted Just This Kit! Then there´s the Hasegawa 00068 381st BG Nose Art- edition on my Wishlist, next... V-P

If you are referring to the Movie Camera "kill" marks, they are on the chin turret ... on both sides.

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4041.jpg

-

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4091.jpg

Also note one swastika under left cheek gun and two on the right cheek.

Hope those help with the decal placement

• Thanks 1

A trip to Model Market 6 in Hanslop this Saturday saw me fall for this pair, amongst a few other loft fillers. Not a hope of getting them done for this GB, but far too nice to leave behind...

IMG-6856.jpg

...it's all the fault of this Group Build I tell you!

Show link here.  http://www.hamex.co.uk/  Well worth a look if you are in the area.

• Like 4

A Hase G is next on my shopping list too! The only 381st BG nose art edition kit available on the planet appears to reside somewhere near the great Mississippi river, and though it could be bought at a decent price, the price of the only available delivery option just kills the deal :sad:. But enjoy your builds! You know that although the group build once ends, new wip threads can still be posted and commented even after that. Am I suggesting this section to become sort of a Britmodeller B-17 lair... Why not :hmmm:

• Like 1

Seeing the deadline extension (thanks!) I may have been too hasty in calling it quits on my build. Horrible weather out so I’m going to see if I can cobble it together in time but the WIP will not be exhaustive so as to save valuable build time  

• Like 2