The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

I hope my Navigator's table comes out as nice as in that "kit"

Pretty thoughtful design to get all that interior packed in there and work with the Mini crew. Too bad it is not an actual Lego product.

Additional note: Need to give them "props" for not using green bricks inside! 😄

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I hope my Navigator's table comes out as nice as in that "kit"

Pretty thoughtful design to get all that interior packed in there and work with the Mini crew. Too bad it is not an actual Lego product.

Quote from the review, sorry Steve :rofl2::

"Right away, it’s clear that this is no regular LEGO kit, despite the fact that all but the custom BrickArms pieces for the ten .50 caliber machine guns are genuine LEGO (contrary to the “not LEGO” comments these reviews inevitably get from people who can’t be bothered to read the articles themselves). " Even these custom printed parts are all original Lego pieces. https://www.brothers-brick.com/?attachment_id=123581

Good to know. Our State Fair (Ranked in top-10 of the largest in U.S.) has a LEGO competition that stipulates entries must be entirely of Lego pieces (look for the tiny print on every single stud)

If I invest $1750 I'd probably have a good chance at winning the $75 grand champion prize premium -- unless they disqualified it for being a pre-packaged kit. Dang. Better not take the risk.

Just for laughs, here are some pics of what I entered during the 2012 Fair. I had to build the tail two studs wide so I could make the "K" read correctly on both sides.

I took third place 🤩 hahahaha... and refused to let the kids have the bricks back. I keep it in the display case (took it out to snap these pics)

Lego-B-17-11-22-18-8274from-12-Fair-3rd-

-

Lego-B-17-11-22-18-8275from-12-Fair-3rd-

-

Lego-B-17-11-22-18-8276from-12-Fair-3rd-

-

Lego-B-17-11-22-18-8277from-12-Fair-3rd-

-

Lego-B-17-11-22-18-8269from-12-Fair-3rd-

-

Lego-B-17-11-22-18-8270from-12-Fair-3rd-

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 4

Yes Steve, your Lego B-17 is clearly finished below the 25% limit we have in these group builds, so please start a new build thread and supply us with your sprue, instruction and decal sheet pics and then continue your build:yahoo:. Seriously, that tail looks very good! V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Yes Steve, your Lego B-17 is clearly finished below the 25% limit we have in these group builds, so please start a new build thread and supply us with your sprue, instruction and decal sheet pics and then continue your build:yahoo:. Seriously, that tail looks very good! V-P

We could have a whip-round for parts for you Steve, I usually find lego when I have bare feet..... the painful way !

cheers Pat

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

We could have a whip-round for parts for you Steve, I usually find lego when I have bare feet..... the painful way !

cheers Pat

Tell me about it, my poor feet remember the pain! Fortunately our youngest is now 18 and the Lego-tuning is turned to 1:1 Saab-tuning (221bhp and 350Nm...)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

I'm now able to get on with the Fortress and have a question about flaps; what's the consensus regarding the flaps when the aircraft is on the ground? The Revell kit has some reasonable detail on the flaps and actuators but would it constitute a faux pas to model them in the lowered position?

That is veeeeeeeeery interesting... some of that sheet had some fine grain which might be used at smaller scales. I'll have to drop by our local store with a substantial scrapbooking section and see if that sheet comes in a variety of colors (like different "stain" choices)

----------------------------------------

Update: I started watching the Part II video and he shows a darker wood example.

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 1

Important question to all who have already built, or are building a Revell 1:72 G or F atm! I plan to "cheat" a bit by leaving out the ball turret mg ammo boxes, as there's no way they'd ever be seen through the 3-panel waist windows anyway, and I assume that by doing this I can drop (glue) the turret and its shaft in place after the fuselage is closed. I have dry tested this but... just... want... to be sure 😉. TIA, V-P

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Important question to all who have already built, or are building a Revell 1:72 G or F atm! I plan to "cheat" a bit by leaving out the ball turret mg ammo boxes, as there's no way they'd ever be seen through the 3-panel waist windows anyway, and I assume that by doing this I can drop (glue) the turret and its shaft in place after the fuselage is closed. I have dry tested this but... just... want... to be sure 😉. TIA, V-P

I have not seen the instructions for the Revell kit ... is there any way to separate the "inside" parts from the ball turret so you can glue the top part of the structure inside the fuselage and then add the ball later? I'll have to look at some of the builds here and see what that subassembly looks like, but it seems to me that even if it didn't turn with the turret, at least something would be inside.

-------------------------------

FOLLOW-UP:

I found this pic online of the interior, so I assume this is what you guys are facing with the ball turret.

fsm-wb0511_200.jpg?mw=1000&mh=800

Any chance to not permanently mount the ball to the structure when the fuselage halves are closed up -- basically glueing the shaft, ammo boxes and belts into the correct position. It may not turn, but at least it would be in there. Then re-attach the ball from the outside after painting?

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron

On 12/7/2018 at 3:33 PM, vppelt68 said:

You may be interested to know that wartime B-17s didn’t have the external ammunition boxes fitted - all ammo for the ball turret was carried in internal magazines. 

The larger, rectangular boxes that are in the Revell kit appear to be based on warbirds which have the later style ball turret cradle fitted. These were actually developed for the B-32 Dominator I believe and we’re not the wartime fit for B-17s/B-24s. I’m yet to find a WWII-era photo of the ball turret with the larger ammo cans fitted, but would love to be proved wrong if anyone can show otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

Discovered to my horror the aircraft I have chosen is not in fact a wartime scheme but an invention so my build will instead of representing a wartime aircraft in olive drab will be the warbird, wish I’d known, would have chosen the Revell kit instead of waiting weeks for the airfix

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Discovered to my horror the aircraft I have chosen is not in fact a wartime scheme but an invention so my build will instead of representing a wartime aircraft in olive drab will be the warbird, wish I’d known, would have chosen the Revell kit instead of waiting weeks for the airfix

Well that'll be a double then, a model representation of a representation of a wartime aircraft. I think those "warbirds" deserve models being built of them too. Their operators are doing a significant effort in keeping the aviation history really alive. We can always go to a museum to view a cold aircraft, but they bring us a sparking, roaring, thrilling view and sound experience! And they are real B-17:s anyway :yahoo:

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 3:13 PM, vppelt68 said:

Well that'll be a double then, a model representation of a representation of a wartime aircraft. I think those "warbirds" deserve models being built of them too. Their operators are doing a significant effort in keeping the aviation history really alive. We can always go to a museum to view a cold aircraft, but they bring us a sparking, roaring, thrilling view and sound experience! And they are real B-17:s anyway :yahoo:

Very true, may not be the 8th airforce veteran I want it to be but a worthy subject and pretty unique in the gallery as only know of one other warbird entry so far 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 6:47 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

Discovered to my horror the aircraft I have chosen is not in fact a wartime scheme but an invention so my build will instead of representing a wartime aircraft in olive drab will be the warbird, wish I’d known,

I saw your earlier post with four decal options... based on what I've read I deduce you are doing "Texas Raiders"

B-17G 44-83872 Texas Raiders is one of the Fortresses I have photographed so if you need a mojo lift (even though you are almost done) feel free to peruse http://447.insidetrackmagazine.com/b-17/b-17-texas-raiders/ for inspiration and maybe find some little details that will make it stand out as a representation of the modern warbird.

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4211.jpg

-

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4091.jpg

-

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-4043.jpg

-

Texas-Raiders-at-Detroit-2010-3955.jpg

Hope these will be of some inspiration (more pics at link above)

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics, Steve! Only now I realized the chin turret control stand is J- shaped and protrudes into nose cone, clearly seen in your pic #3. I may even manage to yet correct that in my build, at least I can try... One of the advantages of brass rod vs. plastic 😉. V-P

• Thanks 1

Rather than repeat congratulation posts in all the threads necessary, I'll instead congratulate all the modellers detailing the interiors of their planes here!

The levels being reached are quite amazing. To see curly cords and earphones sat on the relevant desks really does bring a smile to my face. The different paths being taken to reach the same goal are really impressive as well.

Once again, congratulations all round!

Tony. 

• Like 3

Dear fellow B-17 STGB:ers (if that's a word 😜), many of us are nowadays focusing more on Christmas chores and what could be merrier! I feel priviledged to have got to host all of you and I wish I have been up to the task. I think many of us have found new "penpals" in the hobby and will surely keep an eye on each other's future builds. With lots of :popcorn: too! Speaking of the future, there's a GB proposal I made sometime ago, hopefully gaining enough support to reach the next November vote for 2020 Group Builds :winkgrin:.

Anyway, as my pre-Christmas modelling hours are cancelled by SWMBO, I wish You all a very merry Christmas!

Best regards, V-P

• Like 2