The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

• 1 month later...

Can I join in with this, always fancied doing a Brit B-17.

I'm going to do 'Hekla Hettie' of 251 (MET) squadron. I presume that was a metrological  unit? 

I've only found one photo of 'Hettie', showing the early 'E' style side windows in the nose with the 'blown' nose glazing, a couple of extra aerials/data collectors? on the port side of the nose? and I think broad prop's which were on the 'F's? So definitely a MK II?

I have the Pavla glazing set (for the Revell F) which I think the blown nose will fit, the kit has the astrodome which the 'F's had.

I also have Quickboost cowlings and a Eduard etch set for the cockpit.

Did these two featured in this decal set in fact have the lower turret deleted as shown in the drawings? And,  were the waist positions parallel to each other or staggered?, parallel are my thoughts.

Please, someone with more knowledge than me let me know if I am correct in this.

Oh, I promise I won't paint the interior Zinc-Chromate Primer 🙂

DSC_0035DSC_0034

Davey.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Can I join in with this, always fancied doing a Brit B-17.

I'm going to do 'Hekla Hettie' of 251 (MET) squadron. I presume that was a metrological  unit? 

I've only found one photo of 'Hettie', showing the early 'E' style side windows in the nose with the 'blown' nose glazing, a couple of extra aerials/data collectors? on the port side of the nose? and I think broad prop's which were on the 'F's? So definitely a MK II?

I have the Pavla glazing set (for the Revell F) which I think the blown nose will fit, the kit has the astrodome which the 'F's had.

I also have Quickboost cowlings and a Eduard etch set for the cockpit.

Did these two featured in this decal set in fact have the lower turret deleted as shown in the drawings? And,  were the waist positions parallel to each other or staggered?, parallel are my thoughts.

Please, someone with more knowledge than me let me know if I am correct in this.

Oh, I promise I won't paint the interior Zinc-Chromate Primer 🙂

DSC_0035DSC_0034

Davey.

Davey,

Any chance you have its original US serial number? If so, I can tell you the exact model. 

If not, I’ll do some digging through my references and see if I can find out for you. 

Tom

12 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Davey,

Any chance you have its original US serial number? If so, I can tell you the exact model. 

If not, I’ll do some digging through my references and see if I can find out for you. 

Tom

Is this the number Tom?  41-24598

'Borganes Bess' was  41-24595

Don't ask how I came across these, I haven't a clue, just some random sites on the 'net!!

Davey.

Looks like another Academy B-17 taking part here, which is good news to others to see how everyone tackles this kit. I've not built one before however belive I've read that all of Academy's B-17's suffer from too much wing dihedral? Is this corrected by just adding a correct sized shim to flatten this down a bit, or is there more to it than that? This will probably be my last GB for the year, unless I find the time to tackle the Maritime GB later in the year - I quite fancy Dave's Coastal Command choice above, but I better not get carried away and build another at the same time (I have a silly habit of doing that!). 

Cheers.. Dave. 

I'm sure I've read that adding 10 thou of shimming to the upper wing halves does the job, you have to re-set the landing gear angle which should be fairly easy, he says hopefully....

Davey.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

I'm sure I've read that adding 10 thou of shimming to the upper wing halves does the job, you have to re-set the landing gear angle which should be fairly easy, he says hopefully....

Davey.

Appreciate that Davey.. the wheel angle issue is new to me, however makes sence. Best to know these things up front before one needs to waste a day or two sorting out 'recovery' techniques! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Is this the number Tom?  41-24598

'Borganes Bess' was  41-24595

Don't ask how I came across these, I haven't a clue, just some random sites on the 'net!!

Davey.

In that case, it’s an F model. It appears that it didn’t go through the cheek window modification and was delivered with the three small windows each side of the nose, as seen on the earlier E models. Using Academy’s E kit would be a good starting point, and then you can get an aftermarket F nose piece. You’ll also need to source paddle blade props. 

Waist windows were opposite each other as you suggested. Some CC B-17s retained the ball turret, whilst others had them removed. If you have a photo of the specific aircraft it’ll help enormously. 

Hope that helps,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

In that case, it’s an F model. It appears that it didn’t go through the cheek window modification and was delivered with the three small windows each side of the nose, as seen on the earlier E models. Using Academy’s E kit would be a good starting point, and then you can get an aftermarket F nose piece. You’ll also need to source paddle blade props. 

Waist windows were opposite each other as you suggested. Some CC B-17s retained the ball turret, whilst others had them removed. If you have a photo of the specific aircraft it’ll help enormously. 

Hope that helps,

Tom

Thanks for that Tom. I've only ever found one photo of 'Hettie' and 'Bess',  taken to show the artwork it seems.  They don't show if the turret was there or not,  I'll do a bit more digging,  but if I can't find a definitive answer I'm just going to go with the suggestion they were removed as they are represented near the end of hostilities, if not the end.

The kit includes two types of prop, unfortunately I think the other ones are for the earlier 'D' (being on a sprue with the 'D' type tailplanes. 'Quickboost' do a resin set designed for the Revell kit which are readily available so I'll use them.

Cheers, Davey

• 3 weeks later...

God no!  :fraidnot:

I've done a good few quid on Vallejo Metalcolor and I am gonna use them.....A decent NMF build is one of my 'Modelling Holy-Grails' and somehow I don't think my Jug's gonna qualify.  :unsure:

If at first you don't succeed..... ;)

• Haha 1

Oh me... I must edit that GB banner as this will start 20 October and I wrote 20 November 🙈. By the start date I will be in London! Back to my Chosen prototype, the B-17G-35-BO 42-32025. The bad news first: It looks like I need to buy three (!) decal sets to come up with just the basic lettering, still missing the white P in tail below the a/c numbers and all the nose artwork, that apparently just doesn't exist in decal form. Oh why not :angry:? But there are the good news! It's an unstaggered waist gun position G with Cheyenne tail :yahoo:, Olive Drab with red empennage 🆒, F- type waist gun windows with airframe spoilers still attached and removed de-icing boots :thumbsup2: and it's diiiiiirty!

And as a bonus, it's got my initials 🤟. Six weeks. Can't wait! V-PP

EDIT: Edited the dates in the GB banner. Actually that correction suits the theme quite well.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 2:03 PM, vppelt68 said:

B17STGB

I made a banner! Thanks to @DaveyGair for a great idea - guess which B-17 I will try to build? Cheers, Veli-Pekka Pelttari :coolio:

Superb choice of subject VP. 381st BG Ridgewell, England where my Dad got lots of chocolate from during WW2. My Grandgather ran a pub in Clare, The Miller's Arms where he would only allow the non-white ground crew after too much trouble with the rest. They were still talking about it when I left in 1989 :D I'll see if SleeperDad can identify the area they're flying over.   

• Like 2

On 9/11/2018 at 3:41 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Egads!  It seems I am to build a B-17 now!  :o

Suspect this will be me (markings will probably differ):

Bravo on getting the GB through, should be a colourful & impressive gallery.  :coolio:

You coming into the Dark as well? NMF? Are you mad?

I think this'll be good, I hope so.