The Boeing B-17 STGB Chat

vppelt68

And we have the dates set thanks to our Godfather of Group Builds, Don Enzo Matrix!

From 20.10.2018 to 20.01.2019 we'll have a Britmodeller B-17 Single Type Group Build going on, thank you all for making this move forward. Check your stashes and prepare for stocking up if necessary :pilot:

See you soon! V-P

• Like 1

Count me in on this one. I've got B-17s galore in the stash. 

I just want all participants to promise not to paint the interiors of their B-17s Interior Green or I shall spit my dummy out of the pram!

• Like 3

Well, the one and only group build I was in, I did not finish. My XP-47H  is still not done and probably never will be... Good thing I have another one!:lol:

So, I think I'll try this one now. I have a 1/72 Academy B-17B in the stash that I bought from the last model show I went to.

ACA2106FA082_large.jpg?v=1529729666

Starting Oct of 2018 certainly gives me long enough to get some upgrade parts, if needs be, and enough time to kick my modeling-mojo into gear!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I just want all participants to promise not to paint the interiors of their B-17s Interior Green or I shall spit my dummy out of the pram!

I promise! :)

What colour should it be?  Am I opening a :worms:?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I promise! :)

What colour should it be?  Am I opening a :worms:?

There is a very common misconception that B-17 interiors were US Interior Green. Such a colour was never used during B-17 production from be prototype to the last one to roll off the production line. 

The only painted internal area was the exposed metal of the flightdeck, and this was Dark Dull Green - sometimes to referred to as Bronze Green. Cockpit sidewalls had an olive green padding. The remainder of the interior was left in natural metal. 

The only exception to this was early-build models up to the mid-batch Fs which had olive green insulation fitted to the radio room and nose compartments. This was, however, regularly removed in theatre as it hampered maintenance, was extra weight, and also a fire hazard. 

• Thanks 3

I've signed up for this STGB and already have the following candidates in the stash:

• Revell B-17F 1/72 with Eduard's BIG set of PE and masks - I intend to build "Memphis Bell" when I get to build this kit
  • Airfix B-17G1/72, no accessories yet

There's still more than a year to decide which one to build.

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

Hello V-P.

Please would you count me in?

I have an old FROG 1/72 in a torn box with some parts missing. 

FROG kits

FROG kits

For a long time I haven't known what to do with this kit. I feel it isn't good enough to sell. I have done a little searching and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of aftermarket decals for the B-17E. The later versions have far more choices.

I'm treating this as a 'free kit'. Therefore, my actual costs for this build are all for aftermarket parts. I don't have all the wheel parts. I think over the next year I will slowly purchase wheels, undercarriage, engines, guns, a Falcon Canopy set (it's for Academy kits, but I'll try it) and anything else you good people could recommend. I have, somewhere, a big (and quite expensive at the time) resin interior set and a crew set (US); it may be by SBS, I'm not sure. Hope I can find it before the GB.

If anyone could point me to some nice after market B-17 E decals and aftermarket items that you think are good, I would really appreciate it. I may write to Academy to see if they will sell me a set of their 'Calamity  Jane' decals; I've had success in the past approaching manufacturers directly.

Bye for now :bye: 

TonyT

• Like 2

Sure Tony, and bringing a Frog kit to a GB is definitely recommendable :bounce:

I wish you all the best in your search for parts and accessories. Doesn't Kits World do E decals?

V-P

Edit: check the formation assembly ship "Birmingham Blitzkrieg" too - that should be an E?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

If anyone could point me to some nice after market B-17 E decals

As V_P says there are some nice ones by Kits World which I think include E's operated by Coastal Command, there is also DK Decals who do two very nice sets for B-17's in 1/72 one of which is for RAF machines and definitely includes Coastal Command E's, and the other set is for USAAF B-17's in the Pacific and has some nice E's on it including some in the unusual 4 colour "Hawaiian Air Depot" scheme some of which took part in the attack on the Japanese fleet during the battle of Midway, Hannants stock both of these sheets as well as the Kits World ones.

Thank you chaps that's really helpful :thumbsup: 

I did a little Google research on the 'E' or 'IIa' yesterday. There are some really interesting options.

Being down here at the bottom of the world; I was interested when I found that there had been B-17E's based near Darwin.

As you say, the ones with the Hawaiian Air Depot' scheme that managed to escape the initial onslaught, look great. Fascinating back story too.

Then I found 'Swamp Ghost'. Now there's a story :o! A number of potential diorama possibilities too...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp_Ghost

https://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-17/41-2446.html

Assembly ship? Coastal command? I'm glad I decided to join the GB chaps; I had no idea the old kit offered all these options.

I've been looking at the sad crushed old box for years wondering what to do with it.

:thanks: 

TonyT

PS: I googled as advised. Found this:

https://b17flyingfortress.de/b17/41-9100-birmingham-blitzkrieg/

:think:

TT

• Like 2

On 8/16/2017 at 3:47 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello V-P.

Please would you count me in?

I have an old FROG 1/72 in a torn box with some parts missing. 

For a long time I haven't known what to do with this kit. I feel it isn't good enough to sell. I have done a little searching and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of aftermarket decals for the B-17E. The later versions have far more choices.

I'm treating this as a 'free kit'. Therefore, my actual costs for this build are all for aftermarket parts. I don't have all the wheel parts. I think over the next year I will slowly purchase wheels, undercarriage, engines, guns, a Falcon Canopy set (it's for Academy kits, but I'll try it) and anything else you good people could recommend. I have, somewhere, a big (and quite expensive at the time) resin interior set and a crew set (US); it may be by SBS, I'm not sure. Hope I can find it before the GB.

If anyone could point me to some nice after market B-17 E decals and aftermarket items that you think are good, I would really appreciate it. I may write to Academy to see if they will sell me a set of their 'Calamity  Jane' decals; I've had success in the past approaching manufacturers directly.

Bye for now :bye: 

TonyT

Interesting you will be using this kit Tony,

I have the Academy boxing of the 'E' in Coastal Command markings and I wanted to build mine in USAAF markings. I managed to obtain the Frog kit decals for it.

You also mention Swamp Ghost, I have a few pictures of it in its current state at the Pacific Aviation Museum from when I visited in March this year, I am sure they will do a great job restoring it and look forward to seeing it again in its new glory in a few years time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2017 at 21:11, vppelt68 said:

Great choices Jaime! My favourite B-17:s are OD/NG painted with chin turret so an early G that'll be for me, but which one, I haven't decided yet 😊. V-P

If I build the G it will be paint scheme B: NMF and red tail with the big A.

Cheers

Jaime 

Look what my dear wife gave me yesterday :bounce: and then I went and spoiled it... No, that's just what needs to be done first to the Revell flimsy box. Now I have a good "combat box" :happy:. Though what's inside looks so good it'll be a looong year to wait, unless... :hmmm:

B-17G "Combat Box"

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I’ve just been reminded that I have a Paul Lucas article about early RAF Fortresses. I read most of it last night along with a related Michael JF Bowyer ‘Bombing Colours’ paragraph. I’ve had the Academy B-17C in the stash for over twenty years so this is as good an opportunity to sign up, commit myself to another BM GB and actually build it. So @vppelt68 put me down before I change my mind! 

Now does anyone know if a set of canopy masks was ever released for these early Forts? A quick attempt to find some online has come up empty. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Just hop on board! Good luck with your search for the masks too 👍. V-P 

Thanks V-P. The lack of masks is quite surprising as the kit was also reissued by Academy not that long ago. Dependent on sales, I would think a mask set would be quite popular for this subject. Anyway - I’ve just ordered a set of Quickbost Engine fronts so that should enhance the odd looking ones supplied with the kit. 

Looking forward to making a start.

Cheers. Dave. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks V-P. The lack of masks is quite surprising as the kit was also reissued by Academy not that long ago. Dependent on sales, I would think a mask set would be quite popular for this subject. Anyway - I’ve just ordered a set of Quickbost Engine fronts so that should enhance the odd looking ones supplied with the kit. 

Looking forward to making a start.

Cheers. Dave. 

The C models are not that well presented for AM stuff, plenty of F and G sets around. COuld you not use one of the available mask sets for Academy for the common parts? I had to do that on a PBY5 build I did last year.

I have a set of fronts and cowls for one of my Academy B-17s. Not sure which I will finish for this GB, currently have 3 Academy and one Airfix kit in the stash.

3 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The C models are not that well presented for AM stuff, plenty of F and G sets around. COuld you not use one of the available mask sets for Academy for the common parts? I had to do that on a PBY5 build I did last year.

I have a set of fronts and cowls for one of my Academy B-17s. Not sure which I will finish for this GB, currently have 3 Academy and one Airfix kit in the stash.

Are the AM cowls essential Ray? I can’t see what’s the problem with the kit parts so may leave these as is. I’ll take a look at canopy masks for the F & G, however (as you know) there’s quite a bit of difference between the early and late clear parts. Masks for an ‘E’ might be a source for the nose glazing but still leaves the rear fuselage gun blisters short. 

The real challenge will be sorting out a final scheme as these 90 Squadron Forts are quite interesting indeed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I am not sure what issues the replacement cowls fix, I will have to take a better look at them. Picked them up on a whim at Model Expo this year. I already had the engine fronts from some time ago.

I will have to make a comparison when I can get to the stash again.

I also have a mask set, but can't recall which version (or manufacturer) it was for. I will have to review my AM for my B-17s to see if some 'supplementation' is required before the GB starts.

Thanks Ray, the comparison of AM bits to kit will be good to know. Need to gather up the references and keep the enthusiasm burning until 20 October - that won’t be easy!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Oh dear...

When this STGB first got greenlit, I bought an Academy B-17C with the intention of building an RAF Fortress I.  I am still set on doing that, but...

As a young lad, I really wanted to build the classic Airfix B-17G. My mate Keith had built one and I was really jealous of it.  Sadly, my mum decided that it wasn't a good subject for a young boy as the nose art featured a scantily clad lady.  I was never allowed to buy that kit.  What would people think???

So...   half a century later, I don't give a rats what people think . :bleh:   I'm adding a new tool Airfix B-17G to my list, built in the style of the classic Airfix kit in the famous makings of "A Bit o' Lace".  And there's nothing anyone can do to stop me!  :fight:

Two B-17s in one GB?!?!?  Am I mad?   :mental:  :frantic:

• Like 4