Barque Earl Granville 1877 - 1911

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks,

Sadly, very few model makers like building this type of miniature model, generally taking the attitude that they couldn't do it on account of its small size., as well as the fact that it is a merchant ship and not a military vessel.     I really haven't the patience to build large models, and the rigging on miniatures is a "pushover" as it is all made from wire, and there are no fiddly knots anywhere.     This is how the Earl Granville began, all made from bits & pieces, and costing very little to build - a dying art, I am afraid!      I have tried very hard to promote this type of shipmodelling, but very few are interested in trying it!

Bob

Earl_Granville_start_of_Medium.jpg

• Like 1

Gorgeous model.

Barques of this era are especially dear to me. A relative of my partner was the First Mate on the Swansea barque Caswell, unfortunately involved in the ‘Caswell mutiny’.

5 hours ago, ShipbuilderMN said:

few are interested in trying it!

I’d love to give it a go someday. I’ve only just got back into modelling after a number of years and need to get back into the swing of things before I could do it justice.

Mart

When I first saw a miniature many years ago, the thought never even crossed my mind that I would not be able to build one myself.      I could not imagine how it was done, but made it my business to find out, and purchased a secondhand copy of Shipbuilding in Miniature by Donald McNarry (The builder of the first miniatures that I saw).     It cost ten shillings (50p) and was one of the best investments I ever made.       Right from the start, I found that it was much easier than building large models.    Kits never interested me, as what it amounted to was making something that someone else had chosen, and usually paying a hefty price for it.:o        If you decide that it is beyond your capabilities - it probably is.     But if you take the attitude that it is probably easier than you think, you will be surprised at what you can achieve for very little outlay in time and money.

I often here the cry "I haven't the time to scratchbuild!"    but when I ask how long it takes to build a kit, it is usaully months, or even years, where my miniatures average about 60 hours, spread over a few weeks       Also, "you need lots of expensive tools to scratchbuild," (but then go and buy an expensive kit!:lol:)         Pay out on a few tools (not all that expensive), and try scratchbuilding where the materials cost very little.      Then, if you don't like it, sell the tools and buy another kit!:)      

Bob

Berwick_Law_Large.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...