Italian AF AMX colour

ReccePhreak

My friend & I have decided to both build 1/48 Italian AF AMX fighters, with him using the Hobby Boss kit and I will be using the Kinetic kit.

The grey colour used on the Italian AF AMXs is listed differently on both kits' instructions (Naturally). Plus, the colours listed according to different model paints also differs, sometimes drastically.I mainly use Testors Model Master enamels, while my friend prefers Mr Color acrylics. Even the FS595 callouts differ. I tried to look at photos of actual aircraft online, but depending on the time of day/year & camera used, they all look different. Finally, the available Paint Conversion charts online also differ in their "opinion" as to paint matches. Does anybody have a definitive (Or VERY close) match to either an FS595 or Model Master colour? I looked at all my 30+ differently named grey/gray paints and couldn't come to a firm conclusion. :wall:

Larry

The official colour for the AMX in Italian service is Grey FS 36280. The info comes from the official AER-M.P.100g specifications.

This colour is available in the Lifecolor and in the Mister Kit ranges (the latter are paints sold by the Italian hobby shop of the same name). Recently Mister Paint also produced the colour.

The Lifecolor paint is pretty good, the Mistek Kit one is a bit too dark while I know nothing about the Mister Paint one. I should however mention how this colour needs to be lightened for a scale reproduction, using straight 36280 on a model makes the same look way too dark.

Some modellers in the past have also used the similar FS 36270 (available in most model paint ranges) with decent results. Some also say that Tamiya's grey primer is not too different from the right colour

• Like 1

Mister kit paints are probably difficult to get anywhere apart from their shop... they sell online but I don't know if they would deliver paint overseas.

I know that a number of US based dealers sell Lifecolor paints, have to say though that I've seen the complete sets more often than the individual pots.

If you can't get any 36280 starting from 36270 and adding some white can get you there. This paint also tends to become lighter with time, personally I'd also try an FS 36373, may put you in the ballpark for a weathered finish.

Having to start from the closest paint has been a common problem for modellers of Italian modern aircrafts for a long time, it's only relatively recently that Lifecolor has issued some paints specific for these aircrafts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Mister kit paints are probably difficult to get anywhere apart from their shop... they sell online but I don't know if they would deliver paint overseas.

I know that a number of US based dealers sell Lifecolor paints, have to say though that I've seen the complete sets more often than the individual pots.

If you can't get any 36280 starting from 36270 and adding some white can get you there. This paint also tends to become lighter with time, personally I'd also try an FS 36373, may put you in the ballpark for a weathered finish.

Having to start from the closest paint has been a common problem for modellers of Italian modern aircrafts for a long time, it's only relatively recently that Lifecolor has issued some paints specific for these aircrafts

Thanks for the info. Now, at least, I have a starting point from which to work with.

Larry

Larry,

Pacific Coast Models Offers the Lifecolor line of paints and paint sets. Roll Models, Inc. offers the Mister Kit paints. Check their websites for the colors that they have in stock.

HTH

Joe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPuente54 said:

Larry,

Pacific Coast Models Offers the Lifecolor line of paints and paint sets. Roll Models, Inc. offers the Mister Kit paints. Check their websites for the colors that they have in stock.

HTH

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I will check them both out.

Larry

51 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Giorgio,

The problem with 36270 is that it is a lot bluer, TME. Looks like a pretty elusive color. "BArley" Grey, has anyone tried?

FErnando

36270 may be bluer but it's only slightly so, not a lot. It's not a colour with a strong blue cast like for example the Ghost Greys, a look at a Norwegian F-16 will show what I mean.

36280 doesn't seem to have any blue cast, reason why I suggested FS 36373 as a starting point for a lightened variant of the colour instead of the better known 36375 that I've seen using and that IMHO is too blue

• Like 1

I did a couple of grey/gray paint test strips, where I brush painted different gray paints from my 30+ gray paints onto a thin white strip of plastic.

One of the grays in my collection that appeared to match my FS595A test strip was one called Flint Gray - FS36314. Another one that was close, but a bit darker, was Neutral Gray - FS36270. A third gray that also came close was Aggressor Gray - FS36251. 

Since I paint my aircraft models as if they just came out of the paint barn (i.e. NO weathering), I will probably use one of those, rather than buying some acrylic paint, which I prefer not to use.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
Edited