1/72 - Dassault Super Mystère B2 (SMB2) by Special Hobby / Azur-FRROM - released

Homebee

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

Ok non continental kiwi here, where local modelers and aviation buffs pronounce this as a "mist -ear"  is that correct ? We also tend to say "dass-alt" but isnt "Dass-oh or Dass -owl" more likely? .....I do know "Potays" is more appropriate than Potez but french pronunciation tends to get a bit mangled down under !

In French the vowels are a, e, i, o, u and y. A general rule is that if the word ends with a consonant, this letter is not pronounced, it's a "lettre muette", a "mute letter". No vowel after the "t" and "l" of "Dassault" so it's pronounced "da-so".  "Mystère" end with a vowel so the "èr" is pronounced... "meest-air". "Potez" is "pot-eh".

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

I say Dass-aul Mist-air, but I have no idea if that's correct.

This is where we need one of our French correspondants to provide us with the definitive answer

3 hours ago, Wez said:

This is where we need one of our French correspondants to provide us with the definitive answer

13 hours ago, Laurent said:

In French the vowels are a, e, i, o, u and y. A general rule is that if the word ends with a consonant, this letter is not pronounced, it's a "lettre muette", a "mute letter". No vowel after the "t" and "l" of "Dassault" so it's pronounced "da-so".  "Mystère" end with a vowel so the "èr" is pronounced... "meest-air". "Potez" is "pot-eh".

Sorry Laurent, when I posted my earlier reply, I didn't, for some reason, see your reply.  Thanks for the response and clearing up that matter, it's good to know I wasn't too wide of the mark!

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anyone in the UK managed to get any of these yet? Do I need to pinch mYself, wake up, and realise it was just a cruel, tantalising dream? ;)

Martin

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

So, has anyone in the UK managed to get any of these yet? Do I need to pinch mYself, wake up, and realise it was just a cruel, tantalising dream? ;)

Martin

It does feel like that doesn't it?  It was meant to be May, then June and now we're into July with no show! :(

I had no luck on my recent holidays in France either, there weren't any model shops around where I was, only games shops :fraidnot:

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

If you really can't wait and must have it now, it's available on ebay but there is an £8 postage cost. Same price on Hannants but their postage is less...patience. Same for me with a couple of newly released kits from BPK and Zvezda - they're both on ebay but the postage is a bit too much, so I'll patiently wait for UK sellers to get them. It is a bit frustrating though.

Jeff

@pinky coffeeboat @Wez I have to admire your patience, Jeff :). By nature I have little of that trait and so get myself in regular tizzies about things. I should sit quietly and and await a mail from the Big H telling me that my backorder is ready for despatch :). I have a huge pile of kits and a build schedule that would mean that any SMB2s would be started in late 2019 anyway. I just want to get my hands on them ;). 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

@pinky coffeeboat @Wez I have to admire your patience, Jeff :). By nature I have little of that trait and so get myself in regular tizzies about things. I should sit quietly and and await a mail from the Big H telling me that my backorder is ready for despatch :). I have a huge pile of kits and a build schedule that would mean that any SMB2s would be started in late 2019 anyway. I just want to get my hands on them ;). 

Martin

Patience my Harris!  I'm not known for being a patient man - quite the opposite in fact (as those who know me will testify)!

Whilst I know I can source one of these from Europe, by the time I've added postage it makes it cost prohibitive, especially when you factor in just how many SMB2's I want to do!  Currently I feel powerless and frustrated, I too am waiting for my e-mail telling me my backorder is ready for dispatch.

Hopefully, I'll have one of these in my sticky mitts in time for The Yea You Were Born GB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

What I'd like to know is how long we have to wait before the Israeli boxing(s) appear.....:wicked:

Mike.

Fortunately I'm less bothered about that.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 2

The Wonderful Mrs Wez was working from home today, she texted me to tell me the postie had delivered a large box for me.

"It's a mystery" I replied,

"It's no mystery..." she answered "...its from (insert name of purveyor of plastic kits here), and it's a big box!"

"It's a super mystery" I ventured, which didn't go down too well.

When I got home I opened the box and showed her it was indeed a Super Mystère (well four of them), she looked at me and said "It's not that you've bought yet more kits that bothers me, it's your appalling French accent"!  Overall, I think I got away with it!

So what do you get four your money?

Well I've bought the early French markings release, you can only make a French or early Israeli Atar engined jet from the plastic, the decals in this release are for the major front line units - 5,10 and 12 Escarde de Chasse and are beautifully printed.

The surface detail is beautifully moulded, possibly Special Hobby's best yet?  The airbrakes are moulded shut which is fine by me as SMB2's are seldom seen with them open on the ground, the outer wings have the leading edge camber incorporated and all of the rest of the parts.  The intake ducting is included as well compressor and turbine faces.  This package offers large and small drop tanks as well as Sidewinders and their associated pylons. The cockpit is very nicely detailed and overall the package looks very enticing!

I've offered the major parts up to the 1/72nd scale plans in the EM37 book and they match well.

The only disappointment for me is the way the tailplanes have been moulded - the distinctive rubbing plates for the slab tailplane have been moulded integral with the fin and would require major surgery to separate out, an opportunity for the aftermarket methinks...

Overall, this gets one and seven-eighths thumbs up at first look (minus one eighth for the tailplane)!

One of these will be getting made for my entry in the "Year you were born" GB, I'll just have to change some code letters and serial numbers to make a suitable victim!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 5

That sounds really good. I must get one in due course - I'll probably make it alongside the Airfix one I've started, using it for templates and so on.

The tailplane is a little bit of a disappointment, no doubt resin will be available in due to course to improve it. We can't have everything can we?

Good stuff Wez glad you're overall pleased. If it's any consolation I enjoyed your humour!

Jeff

Edit - having looked again at the kit in the link above and pictures of the actual aircraft, are the tail plane scuff plates really that proud/ obvious? You have the kit in your hands so you're much better placed than me to make a judgement but a quick search and zoom-in on some pictures leads me to think the kit isn't too bad?

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

13 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

are the tail plane scuff plates really that proud/ obvious?

Jeff,

The scuff plates aren't too proud, they're just right in my eye, pretty much perfect in fact, it's just that I wish they were moulded with the tailplanes rather than the fin so I could position them deployed from neutral.

To be fair, if SH had moulded them like that they would be perilously prone to damage so maybe SH's approach is the best.  I guess some creative painting is in order?

• Like 1