1/72 - Dassault Super Mystère B2 (SMB2) by Special Hobby / Azur-FRROM - released

Homebee

I asked the following question via the Special Hobby website:

I see from the Nuernberg show that the first release of the 1/72nd Super Mystere will be in IDF markings, will this include the Atar type tail to allow the early and French versions to be built?

I've now received a reply as follows:

First 1/72 scale Super Myster box will be ready for Azur-Frrom. In this box will be french markings. IDF version will be later.

Which makes me very happy as the French schemes are by far the most colourful.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I really need to get my Airfix one done and dusted before this is released...

Looks like you may have (a little) time since the prognosis from SH is that "it could be possible for the first examples to reach the market later this year".

Gene K

Sources:  

http://frrom.com/index.php?page=frrom-fr0035-2

http://www.specialhobby.info/2018/03/172-super-mystere-progress-report-first.html

It has been a while since we have announced the 1/72 and 1/48 brand new kits of the French Super Mystere jet. Here we are so happy to be able to share with you the very first photos of the 1/72 scale sprue samples we received literally just a few minutes ago. Now we are going to examine the samples thoroughly and begin the rather strenuous and time taking process of debugging the moulding tools and depending on the outcome of this process, it could be possible for the first examples to reach the market later this year.

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Gene K said:

Looks like you may have (a little) time since the prognosis from SH is that "it could be possible for the first examples to reach the market later this year".

Gene K

hi Gene,

Given my snail's pace style of building all I can say is that "it could be possible" that I get the Airfix J8 off the bench and get back onto the SMB2  this year :smile:

It looks like some of the work I have to do on the AIrfix kit can be transferred to the SH one, new airbrake bays for instance, and so it is all in a good cause. As a base for building the aeroplane the SH looks like a great place to start from the pics.

cheers

Scott

53 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Lack of pylons and wing tanks is a little worrying.

Laurent,

See the post from earlier in the thread where this question was asked.

On 30/11/2016 at 17:07, Wez said:

Looking on the Special Hobby website, I found it was possible to ask questions, so I asked...

"Regarding the forthcoming 1/72nd Super Mystere, will it come with underwing tanks and pylons? Super Mystere's are rarely seen without the tanks and their omission would be a shame."

I received the following reply...

"our Super Mystere kit will have underwing tanks and armament (french and IDF type) as well as our Mirage F.1 kit for example. Armament is drawn in 3D now.

Best regard
A. Riedel
Special Hobby"

So hats off to Special Hobby, this is very good news and very encouraging, I for one, am looking forward to this kit extremely eagerly!

No pictures of the 3D representations on their website yet though.

I for one am hoping the weapons and pylons are on a further sprue yet to come, the Mirage F.1 came with plenty of stores on a separate sprue so fingers crossed.

14 minutes ago, Paul J said:

How does this one compare to the one AZ released a couple years ago?

Well, until we see it in the flesh it's a bit hard to say but see post #5 in this thread for an assessment of the current kits by @Hamster Volant

From my point of view, the lack of bullets and bombs is a big omission from the current kits, hopefully this will resolve both.

Edited by Wez

22 minutes ago, Paul J said:

How does this one compare to the one AZ released a couple years ago?

The SH kit looks better to me from the sprue shots.

Re. post 5, I would disagree a little about the Airfix nose - better than AZ but not quite correct. It is too curved in profile from the canopy forwards and it tapers a little too sharply around the intake, making the intake look pinched. The sprue shots above look much better in this respect, (and most others as well).

8 hours ago, Laurent said:

Lack of pylons and wing tanks is a little worrying.

If you look at the picture with the wing parts on them you can just make out small holes where the wing pylons are meant to fit. Looking forward to this kit.

17 minutes ago, Jabba said:

If you look at the picture with the wing parts on them you can just make out small holes where the wing pylons are meant to fit. Looking forward to this kit.

Yes I did notice that. My guess is that they've produced the airframe sprues first to check fit.

8 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Do not forget the bible.

super_10.jpg

I still need to get me one of those!

Thanks for the reminder Antoine.:thumbsup2:

• Like 1

On 27/03/2018 at 9:38 PM, Wez said:

I still need to get me one of those!

Thanks for the reminder Antoine.:thumbsup2:

Usually, those kind of book are fast becoming sold out, so do not wait for too long, or you'll have to get it from ebay for a few hundred €...