1/72 - Dassault Super Mystère B2 (SMB2) by Special Hobby / Azur-FRROM - released

Homebee

"Czech wars" is not over. After the surprise re-release announcement from the AZmodel 1/72nd SMB2 kit (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235011686-172-dassault-super-mystère-b2-smb2-by-azmodel-re-release-box-artschemessprues-release-december-2016/😞

Special Hobby is to release, in cooperation with Azur-FRROM, a new tool 1/72nd Dassault Super Mystère B2 (SMB2) kit - ref. SH?

Armements and fuel tanks will be included in the box. Different boxings will offer the opportunity to reproduce the original SMB2 as well as the Israeli re-engined variant.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2016/11/super-mystere-172-pripravovany-model.html

CADs

SMB%2B01.jpg SMB%2B02.jpg

SMB%2B03.jpg SMB%2B04.jpg

SMB%2B05.jpg SMB%2B06.jpg

SMB%2B07.jpg SMB%2B08.jpg

SMB%2B09.jpg SMB%2B11.jpg

SMB%2B12.jpg SMB%2B13.jpg

SMB%2B14.jpg

Special Hobby, do you hear me, true scale modellers need a 1/48th SMB2 kit... ;)

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8

That is very pleasing news.  I have to agree with Homebee and Bjorn, 1/48th kit of the SMB2 would be even better news.

There are 2 critical things on the B2: The nose shape and the fin shape.

AZ messed both.
Airfix had both right.

Difficult to judge here, but if it's in the same category as their F-1, and with the intake duct and the kind of details shown on the CAD views, oh boy, I will immediately forget about my search for old Airfix B2!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Well this will please Wez.

You're right my friend, it does!

As Monsieur Hamster Volant says - if it's to the same standard as their F.1 it'll render my Airfix examples obsolete!

I love these Czech wars! But you can decide if it worth waiting for 3-5 years for MPM product (which may appear to require replacement resin intakes) or you're OK with unexpected rerelease of questionable but available on hand product. At least AZ could have included missing tanks...

11 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

I love these Czech wars! But you can decide if it worth waiting for 3-5 years for MPM product (which may appear to require replacement resin intakes) or you're OK with unexpected rerelease of questionable but available on hand product. At least AZ could have included missing tanks...

Well I am French and the SMB2 is the first plane I saw in a meeting back in the 70s, and I fell in love with it right away.

The Airfix kit had -and still has- a good reputation, even though it is raised panels and lacking details - nothing that some work can improve of course-.

When the AZ kit was announced I was quite happy, expecting something really up to date - let's say I was sorely disappointed, and I just decided to stay with Airfix - and wait a many years as necessary (same for the Mirage IIIC btw :-) ).

So now with the SH announcement I have again my expectations going up... let's hope SH will deliver!

Edited by Hamster Volant
  • Like 1

Great stuff. Hope the price will similar to the F.1, if so, I'll have at least two.

By the way. Can anyone point me to an explanation of how the Czech plastic wars started? Can't imagine how AZ is seen as a competitor to SH you see?

Jay

Great news - a 1/72 Mirage III or 2000 is higher on my personal list. Anyway, there is an excellent new (french) book about the Super Mystere B.2:

http://www.aerostories.org/~aerobiblio/article5255.html

Got mine last week and its a treasure with lots of details, painting schemes, individual aircraft histories, french, israeli and hondurian service, etc. I wonder how the Airfix and AZ kits compare to the infos contained.

The authors are the same who wrote a three volume history about the Mirage III.

Regards,

Martin

Still have to finish my Airfix SMB2 which is in the stalled pile, but hopefully these will get some of the subtleties of the airframe correct.

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

21 hours ago, Laurent said:

I'll probably get two.

TWO!!

That's hardly commitment to the cause is it?  If it's any good, I'll be getting a dozen at least!

And that's without doing any camouflaged or non-French examples.

Edited by Wez
extra words

From FROMM!

First boxing - ref. FR0035 - Super Mystère B 2
Sources:

http://frrom.com/index.php?page=frrom-fr0035

http://frrom.com/index.php?page=frrom-fr0035-2

New project : Dassault Super Mystère B2
We are producing 3 boxes (maybe 4) of this kit, in french ( Atar 101 G-3 engine) and israeli version (Atar 101 G-2 and Pratt & Whitney J-52 engines). The kits will be in 1/72 nd scale.

We will keep you updated soon on the progress we make on this high priority project. Soon you will see the 3D views.

3D views:

FR0035_X3D_01.jpg FR0035_X3D_02.jpg

FR0035_X3D_03.jpg FR0035_X3D_04_EX.jpg

FR0035_X3D_05_FR.jpg FR0035_X3D_06_FU.jpg

FR0035_X3D_07_LE.jpg FR0035_X3D_08_MU.jpg

FR0035_X3D_09_PO.jpg FR0035_X3D_10_RE.jpg

FR0035_X3D_11_RI.jpg FR0035_X3D_12_SP.jpg

FR0035_X3D_13_SF.jpg FR0035_X3D_14_SR.jpg

FR0035_X3D_15_TO.jpg

V.P.
Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Well, I'm liking what I see, just a bit concerned about the lack of underwing tanks and pylons (just like the AZ kit).

According to Special Hobby just here...

"One of our future new generation (3D modeling/steel molds) Special Hobby models will be Super Mystere in 1/72 scale. We are preparing it in cooperation with our French partner Azur-Fromm. Conception of the model matches our last models of the new generation – Mirage F.1, Gnat, Vampire… All parts of basic kits will be made of plastic."

Which is good news!

Edited by Wez
Extra text and link added

• 2 weeks later...

Looking on the Special Hobby website, I found it was possible to ask questions, so I asked...

"Regarding the forthcoming 1/72nd Super Mystere, will it come with underwing tanks and pylons? Super Mystere's are rarely seen without the tanks and their omission would be a shame."

I received the following reply...

"our Super Mystere kit will have underwing tanks and armament (french and IDF type) as well as our Mirage F.1 kit for example. Armament is drawn in 3D now.

Best regard
A. Riedel
Special Hobby"

So hats off to Special Hobby, this is very good news and very encouraging, I for one, am looking forward to this kit extremely eagerly!

No pictures of the 3D representations on their website yet though.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, manuel said:

Manuel,

I'm hoping for something more along the lines of Special Hobby's Mirage 1/72nd F.1 - at least that's what's been promised.

Take a look at Jay's (Mountain Goat's) build thread of the SH Mirage F.1B here to see what we're hoping for in terms of quality.

• 6 months later...

Reported in progress.

Source: http://www.frrom.com/index.php?page=frrom-fr0035-2

We will keep you updated soon on this high priority project. You may see below the 3D views. The nose, with a rather difficult shape, will be done in one part (as requested by some french enthusiasts we are working with) :

FR0035_3DB201.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Glad to see some progress on this, the intake is one very obvious and very important area to get right.

I'm happy that SH are taking their time with this which will hopefully means they'll be getting the rest of it right!

11 hours ago, Wez said:

Glad to see some progress on this....

I agree - lots of subtle shape variations to capture - looking forward to the day it hits the shops.

Glad this is still making progress, albeit slow, but I'd rather they got it right rather than rush it.

53 minutes ago, Wez said:

Glad this is still making progress, albeit slow, but I'd rather they got it right rather than rush it.

Same here - they can take all the time they want if it turns out ok.

From the renders it already looks good - let's see how in turns out in the flesh.

...in the meantime I'll plod on with altering my old Airfix kit if I can get the Airfix J8 finished...