New 1/72nd Airfix B-17G, built as an RAF Fortress Mk.III.- FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I`ve been looking forward to the release of this B-17G kit and I want to build my first one in RAF markings, preferably as a 100 Group aircraft. Interestingly the clear parts include a clear H2S dome,.....so maybe a 100 Group boxing is on the way anyway? The kit also includes nose and mid under mounted ASV domes,.....so a Coastal option is also there,...... these are interesting additions and here are the parts;

DSCF9406_zps8hkitayh.jpg

Here are the clear parts;

DSCF9408_zpsg6s8thgo.jpg

and here is the H2S radome;

DSCF9409_zpsvbffigr6.jpg

I have the old 100 Group conversion set and the excellent DK Decals sheet,......so wish me luck! First of all I`ll be hitting the books to see which aircraft I can build which had the later Cheyanne turret as the earlier one is not included,......yet,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 37

A 100 Group Fortress with the Cheyenne tail turret - if/when I build this kit, that will be the one I do so I shall watch your build with interest. Best of luck!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Very much a topic that must be followed! A 100 Group build is also one of the projects on which I've long thought, but so too is a Bassingbourn (91st BG) project. One kit arrived yesterday but I've not even opened the parcel yet, so the inclusion of a H2S dome is welcome news.

• Like 2

It's nice to see this one finally on the working bench.

Do you plan to enhance it with aftermarket parts?

Guns look awfull and engines aren't much better.

It would be interesting to check if Revell's early tail gun could be fitted to this one and expand the options (including the camouflaged ones).

Josip

• Like 1

That's perfect for me Tony! My one arrived yesterday, I have the Paragon 100 group conversion and the DK Decals in the stash so I can now just sit back and enjoy your good work and then steal all your research!

When I eventually get round to building some of my stash your builds will be invaluable because your seem to have built everything I have!

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

I've got Revell F & G versions to build, but plenty more Groups to cover, so I'll be interested to see how the Revell shapes up to this new state of the art kit.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this one with interest.

I've been wanting to build some 100 Group models myself and since my copy of Martin Streetly's Confound and Destroy has been gathering dust on my shelves for years, this may be the time to get it down.

Good luck with the build.

• Like 1

Really want one, I have both Revell kits and they were planned to be fire bombers, but I think they can go as military versions and this converted to a FB. Looking forward to seeing this one come together Tony.

• Like 1

I'm watching! 

I had this in mind myself - I was trying to build the last Airfix B17G (ex Academy?) as a Mk.III but lost mojo.

Good the radomes are provided.  Are the Aerials / Window chutes provided by any chance, or is that ikely to be another boxing, do you think?  Easy enough to scratch ...

Jonny

• Like 1

Just on little question. The 100th group is the one, that's called the bloody 100th? That would be the one who, got or caught a bloody nose on their Oct.'43 raids over Münster and Bremen. ( And the reason why just every 2 month or so bombs have to be disarmed here causing chaos in the city).

I have book about that: http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/302119819600?lpid=106&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bbudde said:

Just on little question. The 100th group is the one, that's called the bloody 100th? That would be the one who, got or caught a bloody nose on their Oct.'43 raids over Münster and Bremen. ( And the reason why just every 2 month or so bombs have to be disarmed here causing chaos in the city).

(Apologies for answering on Tony's behalf.)

You mean the USAAF 100th Bombardment Group, Tony's making a 100 Group RAF aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._100_Group_RAF?wprov=sfsi1

• Like 3

Wow thanks for your input and encouragement everybody,.....wasn`t expecting that!!

Right,......the 100 Group aircraft that I would like to build is KJ117/ BU-E from 214 Sqn and this has the earlier style turret,.....bummer! I am going to have a look through the spares box to see if I have an old Matchbox tail turret or Revell one or anything else which might be of use plus I`ll have to blank off the belly turret position.. Failing that I could choose KJ121/6G-B which had a Chetanne turret,....... and I also need to double check whether these aircraft had staggered waist gun positions or not,...and also whether they had the cheek gun positions provided in the kit or the unmodified 3 windows ..so although I`ve painted the interior of the model, I will be doing a bit more research yet.

However,.....I also want to do an overall silver Coastal Command Fortress Mk.III and my preferred option is also on the DK Decals sheet,......it has a Cheyanne turret and is MB791/ ZZ-T of 220 Sqn and as the Airfix kit also includes the belly mounted radar antenna,..... this one should be pretty easy to do,.....so is my fallback. 

Hopefully I`ll get some construction started tomorrow and post some photos,.......to answer queries,....apart from the British H2S fairing for under the nose I have not found any other parts such as exhaust glare shields, Jostle antenna, rear facing radar antenna, Window chutes etc which will hopefully come in a later boxing but I have these in the Paragon set.

I also want to build a 100 Group RAF Fortress Mk.II (ie B-17F,...if I can obtain some more resin exhaust shields!) at some stage too using the Revell kit so it will be interesting comparing the two,

All the best for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7