1/72nd Revell/MPM- Boston Mk.III, 18 Sqn, RAF, Italy 1944-45- FINISHED, TOO LATE!!

Hiya Folks,

Me again,......sorry! Having found a fantastic photo of a late war Boston Mk.III from 18 Sqn wearing the Bomber Command black undersides and sides with DE/DG upper surfaces for night intruder work along the Po Valley,......I`ve bought the brand new release of the MPM kit just brought out by Revell;

DSCF9405_zpsxibiaw1b.jpg

The lit includes a plethora of extra parts to allow an RAF Boston Mk.III, Turbinlight and BP 12 gun night fighters, the US A-20 glass nose and solid nose,......so at £14.99 it is well worth the price compared to £20+ of the MPM/Special Hobby kit! 

OK,....the glass nose parts are a terrible fit,......I`ll try and beat it into shape as the rest of the kit is great,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers fellas,.........well here we go,......

This is the aircraft that I want to replicate, wearing its Bomber Command style camouflage is Boston Mk.III, BZ337, Q-Queenie of 18 Sqn at Falconara, Italy, January 1945 after the unit had switched to night intruder operations with 78 mission symbols on the nose,.....but what is the nose art? It looks like a Pharoa`s head to me,.....Cleopatra? It is hard to say! The aircraft was flown by the CO, Wing Cdr. `Slim' Somerville DFM, Flt. Lt. Griffin DFM and Flt. Lt. Streatfield DFC,......quite a distinguished crew!;

DSCF9500_zpsfhnaw7di.jpg

Any help with the nose art would be greatly received please,.....cheers!!

Starting off,.....the various bits were painted on the sprues;

DSCF9486_zpsoxtwncbf.jpg

DSCF9484_zps3ckqovxn.jpg

Then construction started with the interior;

DSCF9481_zpsfq47m57q.jpg

DSCF9482_zpsftdhjj2i.jpg

Then the fuselage halves were joined, with the tailplanes added,...with the assembled wings alongside;

DSCF9491_zps0mwa2nhd.jpg

DSCF9490_zpsszmev0fr.jpg

DSCF9492_zpsrharvqva.jpg

Note how a cut out was made in the nose compartment floor which matched the bomb bay window.

DSCF9498_zps4liz5h0j.jpg

The wings were added next;

DSCF9505_zpsfwbetpxb.jpg

And the nose compartment was cluttered up a bit, adding the bomb sight, seat and a map table was also added in the folded up position using plastic card. This table is a common sight in British Boston`s.

DSCF9504_zpsev0oqm1q.jpg

This was all done over a couple of days,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Looks good so far Tony. Are there any things that other people assembling the kit should watch out for?

Cheers Beard and Rob,..........Nothing too bad to look out for really, although I have had nightmares getting the clear nose to fit on other models from the same MPM parts! The cockpit needs care to close the fuselage parts together OK and the rear fuselage interior is a little fiddly,...but nothing too bad. I have since attached the clear nose tonight and the fit is great,...... I was amazed!!

With this being a late Mk.III variant,.....(maybe a IIIa?) I`m researching now what the exhaust stystem would be before constructing the cowlings and engine. 

For anybody interested,......here are some useful reference pics;

rear gun position;

531972487_1912c81eb8_o_zpsn66raq3e.jpg

rear_Gunner_zps3bacbcc8%201_zpsnolikqa2.

Rear fuselage;

[URL=h

ttp://s262.photobucket.com/user/tooley220/media/tooley220001/O-1146517323-oxA5FU4k_zpsah3tol49.jpg.html]O-1146517323-oxA5FU4k_zpsah3tol49.jpg[/URL]

Bomb bay;

boston_III_bombing_zpsfxdemojy.jpg

Engine and nose detail;

boston_III_service_zpscbrasjuh.jpg

A pair of late variant RAF Boston IV or V`s with a Baltimore underwater on an Italian dispersal

bostons%20in%20italy_zpsznzf6hjl.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

This is interesting :) 

I have the MPM boxing of the P-70. 

I wonder if if they have re-tooled the transparencies for the Revell release?

This really is a bargain with all the extra options in the box!

Looking good, gives me some hope for building it. I once built the old Revell P-70 (quite a nice kit) and maybe a nostalgic touch here is the use of black plastic (my MPM kit has grey).

Great stuff

TonyT

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks Tony. I have the A-20J/ Boston IV boxing, I think the fit of the nose glazing is less than perfect. Thanks for finding and sharing those splendid photographs.

Yes Simon, far from perfect.... It's in three parts and the front section is a different shape to the other two once put together, if that makes sense. I got cracking with mine last night and was a little gutted. It looks fixable.... But irritating 

great work on the internals Tony and for the heads up on fits.

Rob

• Like 3

Cheers Fella`s,......glad tht you are all on board,.....you can warn me when I`m going wrong!

Right,...another update,.....last night I fitted the nose and also the engines. As the subject aircraft is a Boston Mk.IIIa if had the smaller ejector exhausts, so they were fitted;

DSCF9518_zpsyrwq5lud.jpg

DSCF9515_zpsqgey7wd9.jpg

Unlike the other MPM Boston`s that I have part built, the nose on this one fitted with hardly any trouble at all and just a little sanding was needed,.....WOW! I have applied some filler along the fuselage seam lines just for insurance purposes and also on top of the wings around the air intake panel. The configuration of air intake seen on my subject Boston was not provided in the kit so a piece of trunking from the other style of intake was cut off, turned front to back and glued to the top of the engine cowling. When the glue has dried this section of intake will be sanded to try and match the photo of the real thing with a slight downturn,

Thats it for now,...... off to do some research on that noe art and hopefully finish off my Blenheim and Bea,

Cheers

Tony  .

• Like 6

How are you planning on making the dinghy pack behind the cockpit. It is the odd omission in a kit that provides so much detail.

Are there any recorded instances where the rear gunner actual put "Stick A" in to "Socket B" and flew the aircraft?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John_W said:

How are you planning on making the dinghy pack behind the cockpit. It is the odd omission in a kit that provides so much detail.

Are there any recorded instances where the rear gunner actual put "Stick A" in to "Socket B" and flew the aircraft?

It wasn`t always fitted and pilots being converted onto the type had their instructor lying on the shelf looking over the pilots shoulder! If I remember, then I`ll probably get some damp tissue and wrap it in thread before painting it yellow. 

I don`t know about rear gunners flying,.......there probably were,.....but I wouldn`t fancy it would you.....especially the landing?

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Another! There is no stopping this man!

Looking good, so if you do not mind its :eat: and :drink:time.

Christian, exiled further south who's workbench should be up and running next week!

• Like 1

Haha,.....oh no I`ve been slowed down drastically as my back has got worse again, with even more resulting sciatica radiating down my legs,.....so I`ve hardly touched anything this weekend ,..... I was going to try a few more builds too including a Baltimore, but I doubt whether I`ll finish what I`ve started now! 

All is not bad news however as I did manage to apply the first coat of thinned Pactra acrylic Dark Earth to the upper surfaces of the Boston;

DSCF9539_zps9c5hrt8t.jpg

DSCF9540_zpsnddbrjq8.jpg

It should hopefully look better after a few more coats,....... but due to the painkillers I`m not sure how good the lines of the fillowing Dark Green camouflage will look,.....maybe a bit more wiggly than usual eh!  

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 4

Cheers Simon

Been a bit rough lately so slow progress, but I`ve got the Dark Earth finished and the first coat of Dark Green applied now;

DSCF9591_zpsmo9duebs.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5