Anigrand 1/144 C-5B Galaxy

Hi everyone

This is the Anigrand 1/144 C5B galaxy - my first ever full resin kit. I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed making this and everything went together really beautifully! Well, almost - the landing gear is a bit off as are the gear doors. Maybe I should have gone with inflight. I also have the 1/72 VC-10 to do as well, so I will make that inflight instead - lesson learnt :)

I also have the Roden C-141 in the same Euro scheme but I forgot to add it to the pictures. I shall rectify that later on today

I know the nose isn't quite right - I think it's a bit too pointed, but I can live with that

IMG_4057_zpsn8ise9g2.jpg

IMG_4056_zpsfl1omdwn.jpg

IMG_4047_zpsp6qyebfg.jpg

IMG_4046_zpsfjbwacix.jpg

IMG_4048_zpsh6ellgwm.jpg

IMG_4049_zps6lppewdg.jpg

IMG_4052_zpsqmfeeelg.jpg

IMG_4051_zps2a0c3a9l.jpg

IMG_4053_zpslqox5zlx.jpg

IMG_4054_zpsqojy02ge.jpg

IMG_4055_zpsfljn7roa.jpg

I just realised I forgot to paint the metallic parts at the rear of the landing gear sponsons. Opps

Thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 45

What a great finish you have achieved! Really great model sir, the paintwork is amazing. I've built the revell kit but this one is on my 'to buy list'....and you have just made me move up to the top! I love the galaxy and all things 1/144...great stuff!

• Like 1

A very impressive build and I think the Europe One has more character than the original grey/white scheme or current grey scheme - look forward to seeing the C-141B as well.

As someone once told me (tongue in cheek) when we saw a C-5 parking at RAF Mildenhall - they don't speak to air traffic, they ask Cambridge County Council for planning permission.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Did you use kit decals for this one? The panels on the sponsons you need to paint are the APU exhaust area FYI

Thanks Ray 

Only some of the kit decals were used - the rest are the Draw Deals stencil set. I was going to use them on the walkways but they were terrible and didn't sit on the surface at all. I gave up in the end and removed them. That was my first and last time using Draw Decals. I know others rate them very highly though

I do know they're the APU exhausts - I was having a brain fart and momentarily forgot the name :) It seems to be happening a lot more these days

Thanks for the kind posts guys

Si

That really is a beautifully finished model Si.  I have one of these, still waiting on the courage to start it, but didn't realise about the nose shape until you mentioned it so thanks for highlighting that.  Perhaps I'll so some preparatory measuring and re-shaping of the nose before starting my build.  I keep looking back at your photo's, just to marvel at the detail you have provided; as in the panel lines etc.

Mike

• Like 1

thanks very much guys. Sorry Radleigh - I don't have a full shot yet - the paper I used as a back round wasn't big enough. I will have to find a better back drop to do a full shot on

47 minutes ago, bootneck said:

That really is a beautifully finished model Si.  I have one of these, still waiting on the courage to start it, but didn't realise about the nose shape until you mentioned it so thanks for highlighting that.  Perhaps I'll so some preparatory measuring and re-shaping of the nose before starting my build.  I keep looking back at your photo's, just to marvel at the detail you have provided; as in the panel lines etc.

Mike

Thanks Mike - that's really nice of you to say

It's a great kit that goes together easily. I actually would almost say I prefer it to plastic in terms of how easy it it to sand flush and re-scribe where needed. My example had not one bubble hole or any warping at all - which is something I can't say for my VC-10 (slight bubbling in the wing roots but nothing you'd really notice unless you're looking for it)

I really enjoyed making this and my only regret is not making it in-flight.

There are other alleged faults with it like mirrored doors where they shouldn't be and something else which I forget, but I didn't care enough to rectify such minor "faults"

Quick shot of the Roden C-141 for those interested:

IMG_4075_zpsx0sbo8b2.jpg

as overall as I got:

IMG_4077_zpsqlhbtm6n.jpg

"I wanna piggy back daaaaaad!"

IMG_4081_zpsmg6mubnc.jpg

thanks again for your interest

regards

Si

• Like 15

Ah brings back great memories of seeing both of these magnificent beasts on regular visits to Mildenhall, Always loved the lizard scheme. Fantastic job on both. I would love those in my collection but think I would need a cabinet just for the C-5!

Marc

• Like 1

Hey Madhatter, that looks awesome! The paint scheme and detail are immaculate. If I can get my kits to look half as good I would be chuffed to bits. Good luck with the VC-10. I have a vacuform version which I am looking to build as a British Airways build!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The 3rd Placer said:

Excellent job, I have the same kit, the wings were pretty warped in my issue.

Finally resorted to breaking one of the wings and setting it like a broken bone to fix the warp!

I'm really sorry to hear about your warping issue. I kind of feel a bit guilty by saying I had no issues at all with mine, but at least you got your's sorted. I went into the purchase of this kit knowing there could be that type of issue, but I was pleasantly surprised by how blemish and warpage free it was.

17 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Good luck with the VC-10. I have a vacuform version which I am looking to build as a British Airways build!

I ummed and arghed for ages if I would get a vac formed VC-10 or the resin one and the resin one won out. I am happy with my choice and once I have finished my Lazarev Battlecruiser build, I will commence on the 10. I may do a WIP for it if there is any interest and I have the energy for one. One down side to the resin one is you can't make it into an airliner without serious surgery.

Thanks everyone

Si

Superb build on a beast of a kit.   It turned out fantastic!   I really wish someone would release either a new mold kit or re-release the old Entex/Otaki/Testors kit.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2016 at 11:39 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Lovely paintwork on the galaxy, and the build looks very clean too. 

They are huge things, quite impressive in person and hard to believe they get off the ground 👍🏿

They don't always.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Tan_Son_Nhut_C-5_accident

Great build though, must be a big impressive beast.

Edited by goggsy
  • Like 1

Amazing Galaxy.Having one of those in my stash as well.Seeing this one,i should start soon on mine.

Great C-141 as well.Great to see this kit in the flesh as I am still waiting for mine to arrive

• Like 1