airfix victory 1/180

kev_1962

Hi guys I'm a returning member with a new build just starting off...as the title says I'm on the airfix hms victory @ 1/180. I have attempted this one before some 10 yrs back but threw it away in disgust. I must admit I'd forgotten just how horrible the moulding of this kit is but I'm more determined than ever to complete it this time...wish me luck

Good luck!

I built this one in my youth (and again when I was older) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to admit I do not know how the moulds have stood up to time.

Cheers,

Ray

• 2 years later...

Scale Warship does some nice sets of photo etched for this kit.

Also if you can find it on eBay or second hand book sellers there is an Airfix Special Book about building the Victory from their kit.

Author was Noel C L Hackney, and the book was published by Patrick Stephens back in the 1980's. Sometimes the book turns up for sale under the table at model shows. They also printed specials on the Airfix Cutty Sark and the Mayflower. Same author and publisher.

Edited by Noel Smith

50 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Also if you can find it on eBay or second hand book sellers there is an Airfix Special Book about building the Victory from their kit.

One copy on Abebooks at the moment - a bargain????? at £47.95 (inc P&P)

That is a crazy price!  Best keep looking! Just a thought, Amazon have second hand books......might be worth a look there as well?

If you get around any of the model shows, it sometimes appears at much more sensible prices like between £5 and £10 in under the table sales or on SH book traders stands.

Alternatively the kit swap at SMW at Telford in November is a good place to look amongst the second hand books being sold.

Keep an eye open in charity shops as it is surprising what turns up in those places, usually dead cheap!

When I did this kit a while back I found the shrouds and ratlines provided were a poor fit and not much use at all.  Since then 3 sets of photo etch have become available to greatly enhance the kit including replacement ratlines which might be worth considering:

https://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=82_186

• 11 months later...