Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

6 hours ago, Col68 said:

Bladders

This is simply awesome mate every time I look at your build I notice something new well done

It's a common mistake Col, it's Badder not Bladders, but I guess we have technology to blame for that!:D

But thanks for your kind comments!

I've just constructed the boxing/framework for the chimney/fireplace from plasticard. I now have to work out where it's going to be positioned because that will determine the precise details of the chimney.

Rearguards,

Badder

7 hours ago, LotusArenco said:

Wonderful build and craftsmanship. I am in awe of those who can produce realistic looking buildings that could pass as the real thing. I’ve started knocking up a few small bases for my aircraft builds, desperately trying to avoid that ‘plonked on bright green static grass effect’ and although I work in a smaller scale, I have learnt a great deal from your thread. (Jar of chervil added to shopping list!)

Mart

Thanks Mart, I'm glad you've found something useful in this WIP!

I would also add Dil tops to your list. They make a good scatter too, either sprinkled as is, or you can crush them up further into a powder.

Rearguards,

Badder

Here's the chimney as it stands at the moment (pun intended) The chimney will be positioned as shown, up against the outer wall of the building, and at the same time being an integral part of it. (Hence it's strength, and hence the survival of it and that section of wall)

I've used a spare cast to make a small part the outer wall, and will add some more. The cast was one taken from the upper floor, hence the window aperture, but I will be filling this in with plaster. I have yet to make the inner wall, and construct the chimney breast and face the chimney stack. I may use 'red brick' for some parts of the construction,   The chimney stack is not 'cut' to the correct height yet. I made it extra tall rather than build one that is too short as I will be sinking this assembly into the ground and that is not a precise procedure

ZYs9nlr.jpg

Assembly spun around to show fireplace

3KaK2mo.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

I decided to remove the plaster section on the back of the chimney and use a better cast. (which I have yet to make) For now though, I've purchased Tamiya's 'Brick wall set'. I will be making latex moulds of the parts and will use these to cast plaster versions.  Some may be used on the chimney, but the majority will be used as farmyard walls and as 'repaired' sections of the ruin.

The bricks are all pristine and identical.

xy6O1pQ.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

I've got a funny feeling they aren't going to be that way for much longer!...

Hi Vince.... You were right. I was intending to 'work' the bricks into a more weatherworn and damaged condition. However, I realised that I can do that work to the finished plaster casts instead. They are much softer and easier to carve/sculpt! Plus there will be occasions i the future when I will actually want 'pristine' brickwork. So I'm leaving the 'masters' as they are.

Hoping you have a great Christmas,

Badder.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of making the latex moulds for the walls.

I can't remember who it was suggested an alternative to brush-painting the latex directly onto the 'master', but I've taken their tip into consideration. Basically, I have used an ice cream carton lid as a small 'bath' to contain the liquid latex and have lowered the 'master' into it. This method is certainly easier and quicker. I should get a nice sturdy mould as well.

TFL

Badder

The mould is in the process of being made. The ice cream lid is the perfect size to contain the sprue and has an adequate depth of form for the latex. Latex air dries so I thought it wise not to poor to much before lowering the sprue into it. I placed the lid on a radiator to speed up the drying process to half an hour or so. A subsequent pouring was added and more will follow until I have a nice thick mould.

Once completed, I will have the opportunity to create an infinite number of brick wall sections which will come in handy for this dio and future ones. Whether I ever get to build an infinite number of walls or not depends on my becoming immortal.

rRpl5mT.jpg

The sections of wall above are suspended above the surface of the lid's central panel by dint of them being 'offset' on the sprue. Thanks to Tamiya for that. Once an adequate depth of latex has been created, I can remove the latex mould, flip it over and pour more latex over the other side to thicken up the 'back' of the mould. This will eliminate any stretching/deformation of the mould during the casting process.

For the next few days though, beer and family take priority!

Merry Christmas to you all.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Col68 said:

Hope you have a good Christmas mate look forward to seeing the next stage of your builci the new year 

Thanks Col, And a festive festival to you too!

ps, I am looking forward to seeing what I do a well!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've spent a few spare minutes today pouring  the final layers of latex. Before pouring the last two I used a scalpel to cut the wall sections from the sprue. Once the latex has dried I will remove the wall sections. The sprue itself will remain encased within the latex. This shouldn't prove a problem. If anything, it will provide a sturdy 'backbone' to the mould..

TFL

Happy Christmas one and all.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Your farm house will look the business, with brick work around the fire place.

merry Christmas to you and your family.

ozzy

Thanks Ozzy, and the same to you.

Badder.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Very nice ,i hope Miniart don't get to hear about it :D.I might give it a try there is a Hobbycraft about 5 miles away

Thanks cocky.

I just happened to see this MiniArt kit in a stack on the highest shelf at my LHS. I reckon it must have been up there for 20 years  It isn't a good kit, hence I made the moulds. I know there are better MiniArt buildings out there nowadays. I expect I'll order one on line and make moulds of that as well!

Merry Christmas

Badder

The mould with the wall sections removed and the first castings. I'm very happy with the castings. Whilst they are not detailed on the reverse sides I can always stick two back to back. Or I could thin a pair down and stick them back to back for a thinner wall. Or I could partially carve brickwork into the reverse side of one and leave the remainder 'plastered'.

Apologies for blurry photo:

u4TCwCn.jpg

I'm not worried about the imperfections here and there. I rushed pouring the plaster so there's some air bubbles here and there. 

lwZDcNT.jpg

TFL

Badder.

I may be plastered myself later.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

I've just ordered two more MiniArt kit buildings. I chose them because they have plenty of architectural detail, yet will be easy to use as masters to make more moulds. Whether I use them in this diorama is yet to be seen......

TFL

Badder

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice casting Badder, you have been busy today.

Hi Ozzy, no I really haven't. I woke up about 5am as normal, and removed the wall sections, then poured the plaster. That took all of 5-10 minutes. And another couple of minutes to pop the casts out once they had set. That's been it. Tomorrow I will be doing even less!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Poxy internet has been down for over 24hrs. Having said that there's not been much in the way of progress. All I've done is make another mould. This time I temporarily joined three sections of rectangular wall from the Tamiya set. Now I'll be able to build tall sections of wall more quickly.

The work rate should increase to pre-Christmas levels now.

ZxBt7nb.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Make that 2 days without internet (barring half an hour of intermittent access)

In the meantime I've received the two MiniArt Buildings I ordered on Christmas day..It seems I'd have been better off updating this WIP by courier than via BT's copper cable!

As for progress on the build, I've faced the chimney stack with plaster of Paris brickwork. Tomorrow I will be facing the fireplace.

Internet still playing up. Grrrrr

Make that 2 days without internet (barring half an hour of intermittent access)

In the meantime I've received the two MiniArt Buildings I ordered on Christmas day..It seems I'd have been better off updating this WIP by courier than via BT's copper cable!

As for progress on the build, I've faced the chimney stack with plaster of Paris brickwork. Tomorrow I will be facing the fireplace.

Internet still playing up. Grrrrr.,

Here you can see the construction method, using the rectangular wall section casts. I have to trim the excess brickwork from the upper chimney and re-sculpt the corners.

1ZdCLS7.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

I'll be skimming over some of the chimney's brickwork with plaster of Paris, to simulate areas of ....er....plaster. The fireplace itself will have some ornamental stonework surround which will be made from plasticard and carved plaster. Then I'll add the wall to the back of the chimney.

TFL

Badder

• Like 1