Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

I added some more vines to this section of wall then stuck a 'bush' in  amongst them. The bush is just a bunch of fishing line, heated to make it crinkle a bit, then 'dry-brushed' with green grit paint. The bush was fixed in place with medium CA at the base. I then sprinkled some crushed coriander leaf around the base and dribbled thin CA over it to further reinforce the bond and coincidentally create 'leaf litter'.

hVrzHVb.jpg

GIF91C6.jpg

JmEg3e2.jpg

I'm going to add some trumpet shaped white flowers to the vines, similar to Woodbine flowers and then I'm going to call this end of the wall finished. I will be adding some more veg to the remaining section of wall at some point, but mostly at the base.

Next though, I'm going to work on the ground around the large tree.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Here I've given the surround for the tree a wash with dark earth weathering powder/water and the ground further out with green weathering powder/water. This is only a rough colouring: the green for grassy areas, the brown for earthy areas. It may or may not stay this way. It's a case of covering up the white of the plaster really.

I've also gone over the roots of the tree with green Grit Paint and the lower trunk of the tree with the same. The tree won't be fixed in place until the end of the build, but I can start on the blending of the trunk to the roots, using the moss as a 'blending medium'.

FFQCGU9.jpg

Work will continue apace, as no work will be possible over Christmas and Boxing days.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

For those of you who don't know, the 'Grit Paint' used for creating the moss is acrylic based and has the consistency of slightly runny ice cream. It dries with a rubbery texture and can be used to fill gaps like those between the tree trunk and the tree roots. However, to save on Grit Paint I will be bulkng it out with crushed herbs.

i0C1lC2.jpg

FLoZCRI.jpg

I can do most of this right now by removing the tree, wrapping the trunk in a cling-film type product, replacing the tree and then applying the Grit Paint. Once dry, the rubbery texture of the Grit Paint should allow it to 'give' slightly, and, in combination with the 'cling film' should allow for the removal of the tree. There will still be a gap between trunk and roots, but not so obvious as it is now. A final application of Grit Paint will fill the gap once the tree is fixed in place. Thin CA will harden the Grit Paint, further strengthening the bond.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

Now for the outside lav.:poop:

I'll be making this using coffee stirring sticks, matchsticks and a bit of plaster brickwork. I'm thinking of placing it on the patch of unworked base near the sluice gate, and having a waste pipe empty into the stream. I'm not sure if this could be classed as a sophisticated sewerage solution (forgive the pun) or a filthy and unhealthy one. I certainly wouldn't want to go fishing or bathing further downstream.:sick:

I will also crack on with the big tree area and try to get as much done today as possible as I won't be able to do anything for the next two days.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas/happy holidays and a fantastic new year! Thank you all for looking, following, commenting, supporting, helping and appreciating my work so far.

BTW, I will be taking part in the M4A3 GB in the new year so for a few months progress on this diorama will be intermittent. 

THANKS ALL AGAIN,

REARGUARDS

BADDER

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It just keeps on getting better every time I look, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family Badder. See you in the M3/M4 STGB next year.

regards

ozzy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Badder said:

having a waste pipe empty into the stream

I'm not sure even the French would have found that acceptable! Much more likely they would have had a septic tank or pit (fosse) that the waste drained into.

And on that note, Happy Christmas!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

It just keeps on getting better every time I look, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family Badder. See you in the M3/M4 STGB next year.

regards

ozzy

Thanks Ozzy,

Much appreciated as always. Season's best wishes to you and yours. Yep, all geared up to go on the GB. Looking forward to it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

I'm not sure even the French would have found that acceptable! Much more likely they would have had a septic tank or pit (fosse) that the waste drained into.

And on that note, Happy Christmas!

Hehe.... I was thinking it would be a bit of humour, if not acceptable! I was actually going to place it near the big tree somewhere and as you say have it over a pit. I will return to that idea. I've thought how I can add a bit of toilet humour there instead.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and support Brian. Have a great Christmas and new year,

Badder

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Priorities man,priorities :drink:...Merry Christmas to you and yours Badder...

Cheers Vince!

I hope you and yours have a great one too!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Well.....as usual I'm back for my regular catchup! I know I have to leave some time to be able to fully take in the progress but I also have to get myself ready for the roller coaster ride it will be. Usually things seem to be progressing nicely before there's a bit of a plunge and then we're off in a different direction!! The leaves are very impressive and I like your ideas for the tree. I won't comment much on the current layout (I like it) because by the time I'm back again it will probably have all changed again (sorry....evolved) ! ;)

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Well.....as usual I'm back for my regular catchup! I know I have to leave some time to be able to fully take in the progress but I also have to get myself ready for the roller coaster ride it will be. Usually things seem to be progressing nicely before there's a bit of a plunge and then we're off in a different direction!! The leaves are very impressive and I like your ideas for the tree. I won't comment much on the current layout (I like it) because by the time I'm back again it will probably have all changed again (sorry....evolved) ! ;)

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas.

Kind regards,

Stix

A pleasure to have you 'pop by', as always. I don't mean to shove anyone on a roller coaster, it's just that I have an idea and give it a go, and if it doesn't work I will think of something else. And if I get stuck on something I'll head off on a tangent. Like the outside lav today. It's quick and easy and saves me having to mark out and model the vehicle ruts behind the big tree!

Thanks for all the likes, and for liking my leaves. I do believe the layout is sorted now... at least for the scenery... the figures and vehicles are a different matter! Having said that, I had to have a hard think as to what the orientation of the building is!:think:

My best wishes to you and your family. Have a smashing Christmas and a super new year,:christmas::drink:

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

The outside lav. I deliberately built this freehand - being not too careful about the squareness of the top or sides. As with the wood store earlier, I  wanted the lav to look as if it had been waterproofed with bitumen/tar and so gave the lav a wash with water/acrylic black dye. To age it, I rubbed the black back a bit with a glass fibre pen.

lc3qlKy.jpg

dcqzzfn.jpg

The essential internal component will be a wooden box with a hole in the top. More weathering and detailing will follow.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

This is some great work Badder! I was interested enough to look through all 46 pages in one go anyway. I'm sure when I have more time i'll be raiding your build log for ideas on diorama making. I really like your use of natural materials like the roots and the tea leaves among many other things. I'm sure i'll be back before I have a go at the stonework on the tram diorama base we want to do as well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bangle said:

This is some great work Badder! I was interested enough to look through all 46 pages in one go anyway. I'm sure when I have more time i'll be raiding your build log for ideas on diorama making. I really like your use of natural materials like the roots and the tea leaves among many other things. I'm sure i'll be back before I have a go at the stonework on the tram diorama base we want to do as well.

Hi Bangle,

Thanks.

Even I wouldn't want to go through 46 pages in one sitting, and I wrote the guff! ;) I'm glad you found some stuff of interest though. It's why I posted every single detail. After all, sometimes I find a little 'gem' in someone else's WIP, but something that they take for granted. I have to be honest, but I've grown wary of 'naturals' because of their habit of becoming brittle over time, but I reckon tea leaves and dried herbs are a safe bet. Roots and twigs I'm not so confident about. However, the roots and twigs I've used in this diorama are all bonded together with longer-lasting materials and so even if the roots and twigs become brittle, the structure should still hold together. I reckon. I hope.

Great to hear you're building a diorama, I shall have a look out for it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I've added the lavat    wooden box with the hole in it, except there's no hole yet. I have to make sure my 'seated' figure's bum fits before I make the hole.

The 'box' is a bit on the high side TBH, a bit of a climb for a child, but I figure a child would use a chamber pot indoors anyway, rather than risk falling into a cess pit. I will be cutting a, or some 'windows' so the user can have some light to see what he or she is doing. There'll be some torn newspaper for cleaning purposes, and a coat hanger on the back of the door. As for who is going to be using the loo, that will not be revealed until the end of the build.

I'm going to replace the corrugated roof for some better stuff. This got squashed and messed up at the front edge.

5q63WBw.jpg

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SCOPE FOR ANY TOILET HUMOUR WITH THIS PART OF THE DIORAMA. NONE AT ALL. NONE. OKAY? GOOD.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

With the STGB starting midnight sunday, I've put this diorama to bed for several weeks. Literally. Luckily we have a spare bedroom which is actually spare at the moment, so the dio is now asleep safely on the bed. BTW, I've revised the weight of the thing upwards to 30lb plus.

This doesn't mean that some work won't take place though. I can still do things like punch out leaves, make some more flowers/plants, knock out a couple of telegraph poles, etc etc. I can do all of those things without the diorama being present. But as of Monday, the GB will take precedence.

The leaves, plants and other things  for this diorama will pass the time while waiting for paints and glues to dry.

So, don't despair, there will still be updates for this dio!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

It may not look much different, but I've replace the loo's roof and rusted it up more. Also some minor re-alignment of the cross beam at the rear of the shed and some subtle green washes all around the base of the 'shed'. Those washes aren't showing up in the photo, but they are there.

plHI9vk.jpg

With that done, I'm going to churn out a tonne of those little green 'lime' leaves and add some along the hedgerow bank.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, RichO said:

I hope you feel a little better this year Badder.

Nice looking can!

Only a 'little' better? ;)

You could have been so more generous Rich!

:D

Seriously though, thank you. I have been a naughty boy over Christmas eating far too many chocolates and deserts, thereby messing up my insulin regime, but hey. I had THE most delicious Christmas pudding I've ever tasted!

Thanks for your support over the past year. I wish a fantastic year ahead for you and yours.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

Here's a great material I found as a source of leaves.

Can you guess what this stuff is?

kmLcVr5.jpg

No, it's not blades of 'grass' from Astroturf, although it's pretty similar.

These are imitation 'pine needles' which fell off our fake Christmas tree, encouraged by Molly the wildcat.

I'm going to chop these up and use either as a 'sprinkle' or as individual leaves. A darker green, , these could be used for blackberry leaves, or possibly nettles. Yeah, I'm still thinking about nettles!

Production will take place in between bouts of Shermanizing.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1