Ever evolvin dio. ft. 'THE INDESTRUCTIBLE TREE' as ft. on youtube.

Badder

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Looking good with the details you have already added as Oliver said more please  :popcorn::popcorn:

Beefy

Cheers Beefy.

It's gonna be a long job this building! Lots more details to be added!

Rearguards,

Badder

With the stonework carved into the Internal wall, I bit the bullet and set about fixing it to the side wall. I dry-fitted them on graph paper to ensure they were square, and used a set square to make sure they were both vertical. Once I was happy with their positions, I trickled thin CA down into the join. Whilst the CA fixed the two components together at points of contact, the over-spill trickled out of the bottom of the joint and spread along the undersides of the walls and fixed them to the graph paper. This would ensure that the two parts were held permanently at 90 degrees. This was important as the two parts were going to be properly fixed with PVA and PVA shrinks as it dries, and would pull the two walls out of position otherwise.

I won't bother posting pics, as they're hardly different from those above, but tomorrow I will be starting on the painting of the walls, applying a primer coat and then base coats so pics will follow then.

TFL

Badder

Okay, some painting of the building. After a tiny bit of research (googling 'farm building of the Ardennes') I've decided to go for mix of slate-grey and rusty-grey/brown stone and sandy mortar for the walls, but with repairs consisting of red bricks. Okay, most likely the 'repairer' would have reused the old rubble to carry out repairs, but I like the contrast between the rough stone and nice neat red bricks so I'm going to assume the old rubble was instead reused to build the new farmhouse somewhere beyond the diorama limits.

So a base coat of light grey to start off with. 

I won't be joining the front façade to the side wall/interior wall assembly until most of the painting and detail work is completed. I imagine that will be in several days time.

Pics to follow later.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

I like the sound of your colouring, modelling is all about being able to add a bit of poetic license to a project. The red brick will add a little colour in the winter wonderland.

• Like 1

I did some more work on the walls, completing the stonework and blocking in the window aperture in the internal wall. Then I brush painted the walls with white and black which I mixed together on the model itself.

mYqNFV8.jpg

I have to work out where the beams and joists would have been situated, and which ones to fit, if any.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

I've decided to remove the stump of wall where the doorway is. (You can just see the top 'brick' of it bottom left in the photo above.) All will become clear at a later date.

WybofMH.jpg

Above: the filled-in window aperture is still visible after painting. I will have to re-work this area. The other side of the wall is perfect.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

I picked out some random blocks with a dark brown and some with a slightly lighter red/brown. Then I took a spare piece of broken plaster, scraped it with a scalpel and gave the building a thorough dusting. I then used an old stiff brush to work the dust all over. This helped to tone down the contrasts in the stonework and tie everything together.

sWpAXAT.jpg

vIcIxsa.jpg

I will now give everything a coat of gloss varnish, preparing the building for further work. The first job then will be to run a sandy coloured pin wash into the stonework to highlight the mortar.

TFL

Badder.

ps, come on Rosberg!

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

After the mortar was picked out, I once again gave the building a dusting with plaster dust then gave it a coat of matt varnish. Here it is before the matt varnish coat.

T51ym0w.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

I've lowered the height of the doorway to that which matches the top of the window beside it. I cut out the kit lintel and the two courses of stonework below it, then fitted a piece of plaster into the void. The new stonework will be carved with a scalpel. A new lintel was made from plasticard and fitted into the plaster, but standing slightly proud so as to tie in with the door surround.

No pics as I can't find my camera!

TFL

Badder

Problem with hostingpics.net so unfortunately no pics for now. I've painted the new lintel and stonework and am in the process of blending it in with the rest of the stonework. I've weathered the bricks in the blocked window and have applied a 'moss' effect to parts of the building.

The moss effect was achieved with an application of two shades of green grit paint which I dabbed over with an old stiff brush. Once dry, I dropped blobs of CA in 'stringy' patterns over the grit paint and sprinkled Bart's Dill Tops over the top. Several washes of darker greens followed, before a coat of matt varnish.

Hopefully I will be able to post pics tonight.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder

Still to do... tidy up new lintel/brickwork above doorway and blend in. Re-do mortar around door and lower window and add mortar to red bricks. .Add window frame and shutter to upper window Add gate to doorway.

This wall will have lots of ivy growing over it.

a5Sr8ue.jpg

Below... Side wall dry-fitted. To do: add window frame/shutter. Again this wall will have ivy growing over it

uXKt4Zv.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 4

I brushed plaster dust into the gaps between the red bricks in the photo above, then gave them a brushed coat of matt varnish. Hopefully this will seal the plaster in place and look like mortar.

Today I will be messing about adding more details, as listed previously.

TFL

Badder

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Great job on the bricked up window Badder :thumbsup2:....

Thanks Vince. I'll be adding a lot more brickwork in the form of building repairs and animal pens, boundary walls etc.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Nice progress Badder, your farm house looks fantastic. The stone work colour looks spot on, the red brick window gives a nice contrast. What are you planning to use for the ivy?

You must all be bored with yet more pics of walls, but I've added more moss. It had to be done. I love moss. Besides, the moss I'd added previously will mostly be hidden behind ivy and I wanted SOME to be visible. I've also run some dark green/dilute black into some areas of mortar to suggest damage caused by prolonged periods of damp/wetness. I am quite pleased with the overall effect.

W9Pptzv.jpg

TGsze1g.jpg

JwdFVR9.jpg

Using plaster dust to fill in the gaps between the red bricks and coating with matt varnish has worked well, I think. The unevenness of the fill has given the mortar that old, brittle and 'falling out' look.

t9Epjl5.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Quality work on the wall with moss, damp and uneven mortar.  Really atmospheric!

Thanks Sanfrandragon,

Today I will be casting more walls and adding more red brickwork. That's assuming my car (automobile:D) passes it's MOT.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Good luck and then we need to see a photo in the vehicles section...

It failed on 6 areas, 5 of them my own fault! :frantic: I didn't notice both side lights were out, plus one headlight beam too high, the other too low, brake imbalance across rear axle. (cos I changed brake pads last week, but only on one wheel), and finally handbrake needs tightening. Ho hum.

So, no progress on the build as yet.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Not much progress this weekend as still sorting the car out! Bulbs replaced, by me, rather than pay 5 quid for Halfords to do it. Mind you, changing them was the normal pain in the wotsit, with impossibly narrow access causing cut and bruised fingers, sprained wrist, cricked neck and seasonally adjusted frostbite! I also changed the offside rear brake pads, just in case that was causing the brake inbalance (probably not, but it's worth a try) And I tightened the handbrake, which all went well apart from the loss of one screw, which hopefully won't foul anything important! 

Still have the headlight beam directions to sort out... why the hell the MOT tester couldn't do it - saying as he had to measure the beam directions anyway. It  just meant him adjusting a couple of screws, a two minute job... but no, send me off to park up against some wall at night and adjust the screws myself, to what level I am not exactly sure... I won't be going back there again! (Yep, Halfords MOT centre)

On the modelling front, I have 'bricked up' the inside of the window aperture to match the outside (I'd left the original kit moulding in place when bricking up the outside so as to provide support for the brickwork, and obviously this moulding was blank on the inside. I've also applied a coat of  brick red and will treat this as the outside, only to a lesser extent as the inner brickwork would be more protected from the heavens. Finally, I've added two wooden beams which would have supported the first-floor joists/ground floor ceiling.

Now to continue with the weathering of the bricked up window and tidy up the inside of the doorway.

Pics later,

TFL

Badder

• Like 1