Tamiya 1/35 JSU-152

ScanmanDan

Thanks John.

JSU-152%2038-L.jpg

I had to see if I could get a star in there too.  Mainly to add some colour on what will be a very green composition.  I should have thought a bit more about the star's placement.  I could have moved it up, say 10-15mm and I think it would have looked a bit better.  I went for centred which is okay but not what I had envisaged.  I am thinking about adding a smaller version of the end lettering to the side as well but Il sleep on it before I decide.  I'm just gaining more experience as I go along.  

Dan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just been messing about with figure painting.  Not something I'm too used to doing though I've been practicing of some pilots lately.  I have throw pretty much everything I know at this one to see if I can get an acceptable result, acrylics, enamels and oils to see if something works.  It really helps that this Stalangrad resin figure is very nicely moulded and has some neat detail.  

JSU-152%2039-L.jpg

JSU-152%2040-L.jpg

JSU-152%2041-L.jpg

I have to man up and do the boots and the flesh next.  I'm not too confident about the eyes but you cannot get better without failing so….

If this one comes out okay I can at least try the other four figures I want to include in this diorama.  If not, well then I'll have to come up with a plan B :)

Thanks for looking in.  If you have any advise on improvements let me know what I've stuffed up.

Dan

• Like 6

I have ist read through your almost 1 year progress and am impressed by your clean, focused and informative way of presenting your 152! The soldier will add nicely once finished!

4 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

I'm not too confident about the eyes but you cannot get better without failing so….

To me, it's the eyes that make or break it. Just make sure that the top lid cuts through the iris to avoid that pop eyed effect.

John.

Progress?

JSU-152%2042-XL.jpg

JSU-152%2043-XL.jpg

JSU-152%2044-XL.jpg

JSU-152%2045-XL.jpg

Just more fooling around.  I will need to stop soon because I will stuff this up if I keep fussing with it.  I do way to hit the whole figure with some Dullcoat and then go in and add some layers of Future to vary the gloss on different items to see if that makes any difference.  Just a few more tweaks and then the long wait for the oil paints to dry. 

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 2

Thank you John for your lovely comment and support.  I am heartened by your response.  Hopefully I'll have as much luck with the other figures. I have to work on the eyes, and face more...

I did manage to get the poster kiosk mostly finished.  Only now do I know what I should have done to make it better.  Next time, and there will be a next time as I really like this bit of kit,  I'll get many copies of the same poster and do it more like the reference pics, and not weather the paint as much but where's the fun in that? ;)  

JSU-152%2049-X2.jpg

JSU-152%2050-XL.jpg

JSU-152%2048-XL.jpg

I need to do some more painting/lettering to the base before I attach this but at least it's painted.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 3

Progress?

Working on another figure.  This one is a straight Tamiya Russian from the newer assault set.   While well moulded I spent ages getting it to fit together and cleaned up.  Lots and lots of scrapping, sanding and tweaking to get him to hold that SMG at least plausibly.  I'm not too sure I think the Tamiya figures are worth the hassle but they do come with some great gear and I suppose would be excellent 'fodder' for those that can modify the pose to suit their needs.  I spent hours scrapping back the undercuts and adding folds to the backpack alone. Cost vs time / plastic vs resin.  :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: 

I have started to block in the flesh in acrylics, enamels and oil paints.  This time working inside out ie. flesh then uniform not the other way round like I did the other figure.  I am going to try and add more variation to the colours of the uniform and equipment to see if that looks a bit better.  Practice, practice and more practice at least this time I have a better idea of what colours to start with.

JSU-152%2053-X2.jpg

JSU-152%2054-X2.jpg 

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 5

Just checking my progress with some more pictures.  Funny how you can get a nice green colour by mixing black and chrome yellow.

JSU-152%2055-X2.jpg

JSU-152%2056-X2.jpg

JSU-152%2058-X2.jpg

I think I'm on to a set of techniques that works for me.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:51 AM, ScanmanDan said:

I'm trying to put all the little bits that I have learned into one model/diorama.  We will see if I can pull it off.

John - I so like the Beast.  It is such a Russian looking thing.  Yes, the cobblestones are from Miniart.  Pretty good value too as you get two sections of roadway in vacuform and two street lamp/trolly poles in injection moulded plastic.  I will be looking at some of their other offerings in the future.

Hi Dan,

Excellent work on everything. I really like the base. Could you not just fix a more resilient facia to the 'block'? I think facing it with something like Perspex would look very smart... almost like a huge black crystal block?

Just an idea.

Some of the MiniArt kits are better than others. Many share the same parts, such as lanterns, lampposts, railings, window frames, guttering and doors etc. Personally I look for kits which have something I like and wish to replicate. So, I have gone for buildings with nicely detailed walls, tiled roofs, interesting architecture... and while those kits form parts of my forthcoming dioramas, I now have latex moulds of them and can and have knocked out my own plaster versions of the MiniArt buildings.

I haven't yet purchased a MiniArt 'cobbled road' and pavements, but if I did it would be to make moulds of them. In truth though such things are quite easy to scratchbuild.

Watching with great interest.

Badder

• 1 year later...