Tamiya 1/35 JSU-152

ScanmanDan

Had to do something different as  a diet of only egg planes were getting me down.

I saw a this monster at the shop and thought, "Why ever not."

JSU-152%2001.jpg

A nice complete kit with link and length track, photo etched grills and Tamiya's usual great engineering.  I think I will only use a replacement aluminium barrel for the main gun and another for the MG and dispense with any other aftermarket.

I did get some tank riders and I'm going to try some Hornet resin heads but that will be for later.

Here's where I'm at after this weekend;

JSU-152%2002.jpg

JSU-152%2003.jpg

JSU-152%2004.jpg

The tracks will be interesting as I want to see if I can keep them separate to make painting easier.

Thanks for dropping by for a look.

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 8

Francis - Thank you for your encouraging comments.  While I'm enjoying the build I want to get on to the painting.

Progress;

Added an aftermarket barrel and resin mantle plus lots of little detail, more to come.

JSU-152%2005.jpg

JSU-152%2006.jpg

JSU-152%2007.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 8

Progress;

Almost all of the little details are done.  I just need to get a small photo etched set for the external fuel tanks and the pistol ports to finish.  One more track length to struggle with too.  Almost painting time :D

JSU-152%2008.jpg

JSU-152%2009.jpg

JSU-152%2010.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 9

Barrel gun is soooo nice, i love muzzle brake. Pretty base to work....:popcorn:A while ago I made one but the brand Zvezda, and I tried with a winter camo. What I do not like in mine, are the tracks, which are vinyl, but are not very well achieved.
I have tried to get some Friuls (or even Modelmaster), but there is no way .... cheers Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Progress? ;

JSU-152%2011.jpg

JSU-152%2014.jpg

JSU-152%2012.jpg

JSU-152%2013.jpg

I cut down the vacuform base so that every things at a slight angle and then built up a base from thick balsa sheet.  I'm slowly getting the balsa sealed and somewhat ship shape but I fear that it wash't the best material to chose as it is too soft and dings and marks very easily.  I went big as I hate tiny thin bases under big heavy tanks and I want to try and use some stencils to hand paint the nameplate on this one.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 6

Progress;

JSU-152%2018.jpg

JSU-152%2019.jpg

JSU-152%2020.jpg

JSU-152%2021.jpg

JSU-152%2022.jpg

The replacement Hornet heads are definitely worth the cost and effort, now if I can just paint them half way decently  :hmmm: 

JSU-152%2023.jpg

I'm just moving bits about to get the look I want.  I want to get the figures to work together better and I have some Stalingrad figures coming( a commissar looking around the front of the tank and a prone trooper.)  Hopefully I can pull everything into a working diorama and not a busy mess.

Lots more details to do to the vehicle, the rear fenders are coming off!!! and more stooge and figures plus some junk and rubble.  I have to make a name plate too.

Thanks for looking it.

Dan

• Like 7

Francis - Thank you for your support. Finish, well that is the rub.  I have a few more figures to rough in and then some more details to fix before I can get to the painting.  I want so for this to turn out looking good.  I'm trying to put all the little bits that I have learned into one model/diorama.  We will see if I can pull it off.

John - I so like the Beast.  It is such a Russian looking thing.  Yes, the cobblestones are from Miniart.  Pretty good value too as you get two sections of roadway in vacuform and two street lamp/trolly poles in injection moulded plastic.  I will be looking at some of their other offerings in the future.

Keith & Carius - I hope that I can keep you guys interested.  I'm finding posing the figures so that they tell some kind of story harder than I thought.  No rush as there is plenty still to keep me busy.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Dan

• Like 1

Progress - details;

JSU-152%2026.jpg

JSU-152%2025.jpg

JSU-152%2024.jpg

The Miniart jerry cans and 152mm ammo boxes are superb but fiddly to assemble, and I'm not great with getting figures posed naturally.  More work on lots of little things but the shape of the thing is getting there.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still plugging away on this one.  This diorama business is a bit scary.  So many different little 'models' to get to work together.  I finally got a bit of time today to make a start on assembling the Stalingrad resin figures.  They are expensive but much nicer than the injection moulded kind.  Here's what I came up with but still very much a wii.

JSU-152%2028.jpg

JSU-152%2029.jpg

JSU-152%2030.jpg

JSU-152%2031.jpg

I'm not sure I know exactly what I'm doing but I am having fun.

Thanks for dropping in for a look.

Dan

• Like 10

Thank you guys for the comments and support.  I'm encouraged that this diorama experiment might just work out after all.

More messing about.  After receiving some feedback on Missing Lynx I got to thinking that maybe I should button up as the commander and loader were exposed in ways they probably wouldn't be in combat.  So I have spent the day doing just that and doing silly things like trying to run the plumbing from the exterior fuel tanks and adding more details.  I should get some time tomorrow to work a bit more on the remaining figures.

JSU-152%2032.jpg

JSU-152%2033.jpg

JSU-152%2034.jpg

JSU-152%2035.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Dan

• Like 6

• 8 months later...

Progress,

This one sat about for a bit because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do for the nameplate.  Too many choices. I wanted to finish the base first and fit the model to that rather than the other way around. because in the past I have screwed up a finished model while trying to get it to fit the base.  Now that I have a Silhouette cutter I thought a stencilled nameplate could work.

JSU-152%2037-L.jpg

JSU-152%2036-X2.jpg

I have also swapped out the trolly pole for a resin poster kiosk as I think it makes for a more balanced composition.  While this was sitting on the SoD I have been getting more details built and made a lot of bricks and rubble that I'l  play with next.  Nice to see this one back on the workbench.  

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 4