Trumpeter 1:48 Su-24M Fencer + Komplekt Zip, Aires

Greetings! My first 'in-progress' thread, after lurking and posting the odd question here and there. I finally bit the bullet and started one of my grail projects, the Trumpeter 1:48 Fencer. I've always admired the look of the Fencer, for it's size it looks like a very graceful aircraft; but loaded up with ordinance it's very purposeful! I'll be adding the Komplekt Zip (KZ) forward fuselage and rear fuselage/burner cans (I'm still debating about the intakes - are they really that much of an improvement?) and the Aires cockpit and wheel wells.

First off with the rear end (!). I split the mount for the burner cans as they didn't sit quite parallel to each other; they were canted in slightly:

DSC_2539ws_zps0avgqw5j.jpg

Here's the cans in place:

DSC_2536ws_zpsz64lx5ex.jpg

Nozzles weren't glued in place until the last moment as they need to be centered precisely, here the right side is a bit off still:

DSC_2537ws_zps78qsinbk.jpg

Once the back end is completed, time to chop the kit parts to fit. There are no real instructions with the KZ parts (just photos) so I used Mk.1 eyeball to approximate where to cut. I left myself a few mm extra just in case - which was a good idea. In the end if I would have cut where I thought, there would have been too much difference in the mating surfaces. Much more filling would have been needed. I think the molds were expanding (getting old) causing undersized casts.

DSC_2535ws_zpsna8j6gh6.jpg

As it was, I had to build up the edges with strip and add filler strips

DSC_2557ws_zps1eodf4tu.jpg

The bottom was a little better, less filler:

DSC_2566ws_zpsgdtnx9rf.jpg

The Aires cockpit test fit in the KZ fuse; no issues. I replaced some of the toggle switches that didn't make the casting removal process:

DSC_2560ws_zpsj47nbm20.jpg

Here's the wheel wells in place, no issues once they're cleaned up (thankfully I have a hobby bandsaw and belt sander!):

DSC_2565ws_zpscucm5uyb.jpg

It's going to be a big beast!:

DSC_2563ws_zpskspkfpcg.jpg

Now to paint and finish the cockpit, glue the front end together and start re-scribing lost panel lines!

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by junglejim
forgot photo
  • Like 4

I'm looking forward to this! Great start, no messing, straight in with the resin. I have the same kit and AM so you have a very interested follower here!

Muzz

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress! I decided to fix the spine after some deliberation, originally I was going to let it go, but after checking it with a straight-edge, I knew I had to fix it!:

DSCN5512s_zpswdmvtkbz.jpg

I just used a basic A+B epoxy putty to build it up (Milliput would work too, something that sands nicely). I impressed the edge of a metal ruler into it so I would know how far to sand down to. A little excess putty but it worked out OK:

DSCN5523s_zpsozdl7nyj.jpg

DSCN5524s_zpsxjcwmwou.jpg

Here's the Aires cockpit with KZ center column and Eduard prepainted parts in some areas:

DSC_2580ws_zpssqfwngxh.jpg

DSC_2582ws_zpslgvy5k74.jpg

DSC_2585ws_zpsfpyxeyhk.jpg

DSC_2586ws_zpspx0jfopz.jpg

DSC_2588ws_zpskpycrzhg.jpg

Now getting the front end together and re-scribing the spine area as well as the back end.

Jim

• Like 9

On 2016-11-20 at 9:15 AM, rom1 said:

Hi,

Very impressive start!

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the amelioration given by the KZ rear parts?

Thanks

Romain

Hello Romain,

The Trumpeter nozzles are spaced way too far apart (seen here on top - I installed an 'open' and 'closed' optional part just to see the difference) vs the KZ correction. Compare with the real one.

DSC_2593wc_zps7ri0znwb.jpg

image_zpsetbpz34x.jpg

Also took a photo of the front fuselage difference; due to the camera angle I think the effect is a little exaggerated but there is a definite difference. I think Trumpeter copied an 'MR' nose.

DSC_2590wc_zpsyeqdtfwj.jpg

Thanks for the interest!

Jim

• Like 6

Im very pleased to find you doing this now as Trumpies Fencer landed here a couple of days ago and I have been debating whether to go full on with extras or just build it OOB.

Will be watching this with interest.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

This is in my stash too, so I am following with interest. Does your KZ front fuselage set come with vac-formed canopy glass, or resin? Mine is vac-formed, but I know earlier sets came with clear resin parts instead.

Jon

Hi, Jim! :bye:

Awesome build so far! Congratulations, my mate. I'm followin' this one as well.

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:15 PM, rom1 said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the amelioration given by the KZ rear parts?

Y'know, I was gonna ask Jim more or less the same; but is it likely that the Komplekt Zip rear fuselage resin set's tad a feisty bugger to deal with?

12 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

Does your KZ front fuselage set come with vac-formed canopy glass, or resin? Mine is vac-formed, but I know earlier sets came with clear resin parts instead.

That's interestin.' :hmmm: Sumthin' I had read on the NeOmega page. Which one would ya say it looks better, Jon?

Cheers,

Unc2 

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Need to quote further

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:13 PM, NazarovVladimir said:

I would like more Treat carefully to the assembly of the aircraft. If you have any questions about their findings, ask.

Thought I might make use of yer offer by askin' whether or not the Komplekt Zip intakes are really that much of an improvement for the Trumpy Fencer. 

14 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

This is in my stash too, so I am following with interest. Does your KZ front fuselage set come with vac-formed canopy glass, or resin? Mine is vac-formed, but I know earlier sets came with clear resin parts instead.

Jon

I bought the canopy on its own thinking I was going to get the resin one but a vac form one arrived, not impressed!