1/32 Matchbox Flygvapnet J 33 (N.F.51) Venom

On 05/11/2016 at 11:23 PM, Martian Hale said:

Having just got hold of one of these kits, this build has to be one to follow. :popcorn:

Martian

Thanks Martin. after reviewing the parts above, it looks like I have about 1.5 kits and not enough parts to complete either, so I may have to try and find another kit somewhere in order to do so, but we shall see! :)

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw

This should be really interesting work, and will follow intently!

The photograph is interesting as it looks like a very early Venom NF.51 that the Swedish Air Force used, in fact it show just how close to a vampire that the Venom could look, based on an early NF.2 I'm thinking.

They also used this version which has the same canopy and fin/rudder set up as the kit Venom NF.2A /3,

500px-J_33,_De_Havilland_DH_112_Venom_Mk

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2016 at 10:38 AM, Derek B said:

Thanks Martin. after reviewing the parts above, it looks like I have about 1.5 kits and not enough parts to complete either, so i may have to try and find another kit somewhere in order to do so, but we shall see! :)

Derek

What bits are missing? I may be able to assist.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Christer A said:

Someone is having a healthy interest in Swedish Air Force?

Nice!

This looks like an intriguing build as well!

Good luck!

Indeed Christer - My passion is for Saab aircraf, Swedish Air Force (Flygvapnet) aircraft and Greek (Hellenic) Air Force (Polemiki Aeroprtia - PA) aircraft :) Markings are going to be an issue for me with this build, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

15 hours ago, frankie said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: watching!!!!

Thanks Frankie :)

14 hours ago, 71chally said:

This should be really interesting work, and will follow intently!

The photograph is interesting as it looks like a very early Venom NF.51 that the Swedish Air Force used, in fact it show just how close to a vampire that the Venom could look, based on an early NF.2 I'm thinking.

They also used this version which has the same canopy and fin/rudder set up as the kit Venom NF.2A /3,

500px-J_33,_De_Havilland_DH_112_Venom_Mk

Great image 71chally. I think that the N.F.51 was something of an hybrid aircraft that was essentially an N.F.2 with some N.F.3 upgrades - a sort of N.F.2 and a half! (the last four airframes were much closer to the N.F.3 standard, but they still retained fixed seats and none of the N.F.51/J 33 aircraft ever had ejection seats retro-fitted).

6 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

What bits are missing? I may be able to assist.

2 hours ago, RAF Laarbruch said:

Currently building a sea venom same kit may have some spares if you need anything give me a shout 😀

NAVY870 and RAF Laarbruch: Thank you for your help gentlemen, I feel very humbled for your kindness. This build is for an LSP Group Build (GB) called 'Jurassic plastic'. My original intention - if I had sufficient number of parts - was to build a J 33 aircraft and in parallel, also produce a J 28B (DH Vampire FB.50) aircraft by converting what remained.

Image result for j 28b aircraft

I examined the kit parts last night and by using a mixture of the detailed parts that I had started but abandoned during an earlier build and new parts, I have enough to produce the J 33 (kit Venom N.F.3) as provided with the instructions.

The remaining parts are insufficient in quantity to produce a J 28B aircraft (as much as I would have liked to). All that remains (of use) are the mainplanes, booms and tailplane and a few other parts - the fuselage halves have been hacked about too much to use (I am completely missing the engine parts, cockpit parts and undercarriage parts - essentially no internal structure). A full kit would be useful given the amount that is missing, but it can be done if I can find the missing parts.

Many thanks

Derek

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

EXTREMELY interesting! I have had these plans for many years now! How will you solve the decal problem?

Good question Bjorn!I do not know at this point in time. There appear to be few national insignia decals available in this scale, and of those that may be available, I cannot say if they are the correct style, colour or size.

I know that I want to make these aircraft as J 33 and J 28B, so I will have to find a way to resolve this problem one way or another! (I have many other future build projects that will require similar consideration).

Ideally, computer cut vinyl masks would be a good solution.

Regards

Derek

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Anders' reminder of the Tigger Models DH Vampire FB.4 single seat conversion set - which had escaped my mind (John Wilkes had taken a set for me to buy at the IPMS Telford SMW event after reading this thread - thanks John), and the fact that I managed to buy another Matchbox Sea Venom kit, means that the J 28B (FB.50) DH Vampire, is now on along with the J 33 in this GB.

As the J 28 conversion will take much more effort and time to complete compared to the J 33, it may well not be completed in time for the end of this GB, in which case i will continue the build as a normal WIP thread.

100_0391_zps0pqahwny.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw
  • Like 1

J28B Assessment

I managed to find one evening free to spend a few hours assessing the feasibility of making a 1/32 J28B (D.H. Vampire FB.50) from the Matchbox Sea Venom now that I have the Tigger Models single seat vacform conversion set.

100_0395_zpst5xvawqd.jpg

100_0396_zpspkndkzxf.jpg

100_0398_zpsouctzjmb.jpg

100_0399_zpslhz3akqw.jpg

100_0400_zpswciwh7d8.jpg

100_0401_zps7c2gqalg.jpg

100_0402_zpsaxkwb4ur.jpg

100_0403_zpsq46r1ski.jpg

100_0404_zpstb18elmw.jpg

Conclusion

The design of the Tigger Models nose does not look like a natural or easy fit to the Matchbox kit (there are no instructions supplied, so it is up to the modeller to figure out). Compared to three different sets of single-seat Vampire and Venom drawings that I had enlarged to 1/32 scale, the vacform nose appears to be too rounded at the front and too deep in profile (see above).

Assuming that I use the vacform aft edges as my cut guide (as you can see in plan view, they are not equidistant), the total width is within 1mm of the kit fuselage at this point. However, the plan shape of the nose is too wide and rounded at the front. The supplied canopy is also much longer that any of the drawing canopies in total length and the windscreen position is too far forward.

After spending a considerable time comparing the kit, drawings and vacform parts, I came to the conclusion that it would not be possible to produce an accurate J28B from these parts (I could do it with much effort, but it would still be a Venom that looks like a Vampire - but not a truly accurate D.H.100/FB.50 Vampire). 

If I am prepared to carry out some drastic surgery to the vacform nose and canopy (I could perhaps use the windscreen, but I would still need to mould a new canopy), then I may still be able to use it for a future single seat Venom conversion, but for the single seat Vampire, I would either need to buy Tigger Models full kit or scratch build it.

Therefore, I shall not proceed with the single seat J28B for the time being, but will concentrate on the J33.

Derek

Edited by Derek Bradshaw
  • Like 1